Author Topic: Cyclerama Cams  (Read 2125 times)

Offline djl

• Site Supporter
Cyclerama Cams
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:43:12 PM »
Once again I come to the forum seeking knowledge. :scratch:

Seems I have been seeing a lot of posts lately on the www. about Cyclerama cams.  I have compared cam profiles and while I really don't know enough of what to look for, I don't see many differences which would indicate that most of the cams in a certain lift range have similar profiles.  I admit that I know that I don't know what I don't know but also know that there are those on this forum that do know what I don't know and can shed some light on the sudden attention on the CR cams. :unsure:

Online sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
Re: Cyclerama Cams
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »
they work very well, as do many other brands

I have had interest in them since I joined this forum in 2010 (?)

perhaps the sudden rise in interest is due to Durwood's extensive testing

they are proven performers and have been for decades - Wes Brown, the developer, has been winning horsepower shootouts for many years
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 04:12:28 PM »
quote author=sfmichael link=topic=102090.msg1202332#msg1202332 date=1514851091]
they work very well, as do many other brands

I have had interest in them since I joined this forum in 2010 (?)

perhaps the sudden rise in interest is due to Durwood's extensive testing

they are proven performers and have been for decades - Wes Brown, the developer, has been winning horsepower shootouts for many years
[/quote] :up: 

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
  I've ran a couple different Cycle-Rama cams in my 124".  The CR651's which are flat out badass cams, and the CR630i's that I currently run in my engine make me smile every time I turn the wick up on my bike.. I got to say I love both sets of those cams. I've got the 651's still sitting on the shelf. I just can't bring myself to sell them...I like them that much. If I ever build me another engine...the 651's are on top of my list for cams.
  Wes knows his stuff. His cam grinds just flat out work. If you are thinking about buying a set of Cycle-Rama cams...I'd call Wes and talk to him. He is always willing to listen to what you have going on, and he will help steer you in the direction you need to go as far as making a good sound cam choice for your build. You can't go wrong with his cams.

Wes Brown's phone #
  (727)546-0889
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »
I have had great success when coupled with my heads. My customers have used both the 651 in a 127 and that made 152hp with a boarzilla and the 575 is various smaller builds. Big torque numbers and respectable HP from the 575 when coupled to the proper head work and still using stock TB and injectors when the user is on a budget..

Offline No Cents

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »
 Cycle-Rama Twin Cam grinds
I know these cam grinds were not listed on his web site the last time I was on it..

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline sixxfoot

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 07:13:48 PM »
Anyone have any spec on his new CR595 cams yet ?
The bottle ain't the blame ....it just lets you ...Mike Cooley DBT

Offline HighLiner

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 07:41:01 PM »
Just curious, what do they get for a set of cams?

Offline djl

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »
I checked the website but can't find a cam/spec sheet.  Are any of the cam sets gear driven?  I have read that the ramps are aggressive; are they noisy as well?
c
Thanks NoCents for the cam list.

Offline Tail Ridr

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 03:10:09 AM »
Anyone have any spec on his new CR595 cams yet ?

I-Lift 0.595, IO-18, IC-46, Dur-244, I-LC-104
 E-Lift 0.575, EO-57, EC-13, Dur-250, E-LC-112
Overlap-31
LSA-108.5 
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Offline Durwood

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 04:38:54 AM »
I checked the website but can't find a cam/spec sheet.  Are any of the cam sets gear driven?  I have read that the ramps are aggressive; are they noisy as well?
c
Thanks NoCents for the cam list.
You can order any of the Cycle-Rama grinds in gear drive that are not already in stock, it takes 2-3 weeks for delivery.

I have had great success with the CR cams I have used and they are butter quiet, as we see with most modern cam grinds, provided the rest of the valve train is in proper working order. I/E loose rocker tolerances, lifter quality, etc.

Offline No Cents

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 04:49:52 AM »
 Wes had both sets of his cams that I have ran in gear drive...on the shelf in stock when I bought them.
That 595 cam is a rather newer grind for Wes. I forgot about it.  :kick:
  I think Daren might of twisted Wes arm for a grind around the .600" lift range...and the 595 was his answer for it. It looks like a nice cam too.  :up:

Offline Durwood

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 05:02:41 AM »
Wes had both sets of his cams that I have ran in gear drive...and on the shelf, and in stock when I bought them.
That 595 cam is a rather newer grind for Wes. I forgot about it.  :kick:
  I think Daren might of twisted Wes arm for a grind around the .600" lift range...and the 595 was his answer for it. It looks like a nice cam too.  :up:
No twisting required, maybe a slight tweek, Lol.

We needed a grind to fill the void between the 575 and 630i and the now CR-595 is what we came up with. Production 595's will be available in approximately 2 weeks.

Offline No Cents

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 05:18:43 AM »
   if it works as well as his 630i's do...he definitely hit another one out of the park then.  :up:
I'm still impressed with how well his 630i's pull in my bike. The early torque they produce in my engine is amazing. Larry's heads work combined with the 630i's made me one happy camper.  They put the power down right where I use it the most. :teeth:

Offline joe_lyons

• Administrator
  • Just another squirrel trying to get a nut.
    • Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 06:09:26 AM »
I'm getting ready to install a set of 630I in a 124 build I did awhile back that was running the R&R 615 at 10.7-10.8.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion
816-425-4901

Offline No Cents

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »
   Joe...let me know what you think of them.
My engine is set @ 11.17 compression...and they pull extremely hard right off idle...and they keep pulling until I say uncle.
   The crazy thing is my rev limiter is set at 6200 rpm's...and I haven't bounced it off it yet. It goes thru the gears so fast that I guess I don't the balls to push it to the limiter. Shifting mine at 5K is putting a crazy amount of torque and horsepower to the ground...for me at least.

Offline djl

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:49:10 AM »
I already have a set of Crane 296-2G cams for this 98" motor under construction; will set up at 10.7-10.8 static with 57mm T/B. Looks like the new CR 595 could be an alternative to the Crane cams.  I will likely proceed with the Crane cams, ride a while and then swap them for the CR 595s. Don says the CR cams work well with his heads which I am running. Same intake close, so no issues there; a dyno comparo should be interesting.  Thanks to all for the information. :up:

Offline Nastytls

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »
I know these cam grinds were not listed on his web site the last time I was on it..

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Ray, I don't see the 651 that you have, are they different than the 650 listed? What compression did you run them at?

Offline No Cents

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:46:56 AM »
   His old 651 cams are now called the CR650. Same exact cams I do believe.
I had mine set close to 11.75 if I re-call correctly. They were hot rod cams set at that compression. They reminded me a lot of the Tman 662-2 cams because they came on like a light switch. The bike just begged for the wick to be twisted on it all the time. It just wanted to get up and go, go, go. At the end of the day I was wore out from trying to hang on to it all the time. Hench the reason why I went to the 630i's. They are a touch tamer down low and they don't seem to wear me out as fast. It's hell getting old.  :hyst:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:59:20 AM by No Cents »

Offline target64

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 04:26:50 PM »
Hello guys
well I started a 124 build with cycle-rama last spring, I remove the engine and disassembled it and send the cases off to Wes. a month went by and Wes called me and said the  cases were bored and the new crank was installed he suggested to uses his heavy finned cylinders with custom cp pistons that would work with the 110 heads. I was going to use the cr651 cams on the build but wes asked if I wanted to try using a set of proto type cams he had been working on. I said sure lets try it. the parts showed up soon after and I got it back together and puts some miles on it and took the bike down to the tuners. made 140/130 with table top tq from 3200-5500. I called wes and sent him the info by fax from the tuners, on the way home Wes called me and said I would have a new set of cams in 3 weeks He said he made some drastic changes he hopes would improve on the performance of the cams. the new cams Cr660i-3 arrived and I installed them and took it back to the dyno again. hp and tq came up 3 on both. I sent wes the results and he said to ride it till he got caught back up in the shop and he would make this right! well first of November came and I got a phone call from wes stating I was getting a ups box on Friday with a new set of 110 heads and the 651 cams and a set of head gaskets. He set the compression at 11.6 and the ccp ended up at 210 only got a few miles on the bike but its got way more balls now then it had with the previous setup and it sounds totally different as Ray says it sounds like its pissed off!    I cant say enough good things about Wes Brown he is a stand up guy that keeps his word and has a lot of great knowledge on how to make power!
2014 FLHXS 124'',  cycle-Rama 110 heads ,CR 651cams, Dragulla 2

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »
   Joe...let me know what you think of them.
My engine is set @ 11.17 compression...and they pull extremely hard right off idle...and they keep pulling until I say uncle.
   The crazy thing is my rev limiter is set at 6200 rpm's...and I haven't bounced it off it yet. It goes thru the gears so fast that I guess I don't the balls to push it to the limiter. Shifting mine at 5K is putting a crazy amount of torque and horsepower to the ground...for me at least.
  If there is one cam I would like to try some day its the 630i in my 124 as it just works . To be honest I really liked the hard hitting 662-2 .  I just need practice I guess I hit the rev limiter several times on both engines . The 640 work ok smooth down low and when your in it different engine lol           

Offline FLDavetrain

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »
Hello guys
well I started a 124 build with cycle-rama last spring, I remove the engine and disassembled it and send the cases off to Wes. a month went by and Wes called me and said the  cases were bored and the new crank was installed he suggested to uses his heavy finned cylinders with custom cp pistons that would work with the 110 heads. I was going to use the cr651 cams on the build but wes asked if I wanted to try using a set of proto type cams he had been working on. I said sure lets try it. the parts showed up soon after and I got it back together and puts some miles on it and took the bike down to the tuners. made 140/130 with table top tq from 3200-5500. I called wes and sent him the info by fax from the tuners, on the way home Wes called me and said I would have a new set of cams in 3 weeks He said he made some drastic changes he hopes would improve on the performance of the cams. the new cams Cr660i-3 arrived and I installed them and took it back to the dyno again. hp and tq came up 3 on both. I sent wes the results and he said to ride it till he got caught back up in the shop and he would make this right! well first of November came and I got a phone call from wes stating I was getting a ups box on Friday with a new set of 110 heads and the 651 cams and a set of head gaskets. He set the compression at 11.6 and the ccp ended up at 210 only got a few miles on the bike but its got way more balls now then it had with the previous setup and it sounds totally different as Ray says it sounds like its pissed off!    I cant say enough good things about Wes Brown he is a stand up guy that keeps his word and has a lot of great knowledge on how to make power!

Todd that build could hit 160 the way you’re set up.
Once tuned get that ride down here and we’ll swing by Wes’ shop. Just maybe he’d let me in haaaaaa! Been about 8-9 years since I first used his 575 and headwork. Help me convince him to dial in my dyna and we’ll have our own little dyno shoot out  :bike: 
currently 482ci in the garage

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
Hello guys

Once tuned get that ride down here and we’ll swing by Wes’ shop. Just maybe he’d let me in haaaaaa! Been about 8-9 years since I first used his 575 and headwork. Help me convince him to dial in my dyna and we’ll have our own little dyno shoot out  :bike:

That 110"/.575 combo went 113/131 if I recall, tuned at Rossiter HD?
120 from 2300-5000. :teeth:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline No Cents

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 04:52:52 AM »
Hello guys

That 110"/.575 combo went 113/131 if I recall, tuned at Rossiter HD?
120 from 2300-5000. :teeth:

if you got those 651's sounding pissed off...you got something going on there.  :up:
I first tried them at 11.00 compression and they needed more compression to wake them up. When I put the compression up in the 11.75 range it woke them up and my bike made 164/154 sae. It was a tire shredder with a bad attitude.

Offline FLDavetrain

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 05:07:29 AM »
Scott, that was one of the greatest budget builds of all time. Still amazed at what you did to that stock tbody...genius.

Offline FLDavetrain

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 05:30:29 AM »
Back to the OPs question on why these cams work so well.

Looking at the importance of IVC in relation to piston position w respect to crankshaft angle, the capture ratio of air mass is most important. All the air supplied in a cylinder during intake closure is not trapped, some can escape through the exhaust valve during overlap. Air mass not volume ultimately creates power. Also charge purity, ratio of air trapped before combustion to the total mass of cylinder charge. And scavenging efficiency plays a huge role. His cams tend to have shorter seat timing, fast ramp speed w very slow initial opening then very fast on the ramp up to stop reversion, then a slow closing to build more port velocity which ultimately produces more cylinder fill.
This is some of the recipe I gathered from many talks w Wes some years ago

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 05:37:06 AM »
Scott, that was one of the greatest budget builds of all time. Still amazed at what you did to that stock tbody...genius.

I agree....was a good 'un. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline Nastytls

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 08:25:08 AM »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I'm just wondering what opinions on this might be. The 650 cam listed here has the same intake timing as the RS647 cam I'm currently running, but the exhaust is dramatically different, any ideas on what this difference would mean to a power curve?

Intake
26 Deg. /58 Deg.
264 Deg.
.647"
.211"
Exhaust
58 Deg. /26 Deg.
264 Deg.
.647"
.211"

Offline hi$toy

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »
just installed the 575 cams in my stock compression 2013  , 103, really works great , lots of pull down low in 2500 rpm range on up , 6th gear a lot more useable now on back country roads, pulls quick on pulling off  and right up to upper rpm range, running Thundermax , letting it auto tune for 250 miles then head to dyno, so far no complaints