Author Topic: Ultra Limited Owners  (Read 1656 times)

Offline bensfatboy

• Site Supporter
Ultra Limited Owners
« on: September 03, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »
Looking to get into a touring bike after riding a cruiser for 5 years.  My Fatboy has been a good ride, but thinking about the Ultra Limited.  Can get a decent deal on one right now and thinking about going for it.  Just wanted to fined out from you guys riding one about the pros and cons.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
Re: Ultra Limited Owners
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
Cons? Heavy, kind of a beast to move around. Other than that, no complaints.

Pros? The list is pretty long.
Comfortable for the long haul,
Cruise control,
CB radio,
Satellite radio,
USB drive support for music,
GPS,
Tons of storage,
There is more, but not all people like all the options.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline UltraNutZ

• 2012 FLHTK VTPBB
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 05:36:20 PM »
How tall are you?
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
The only cons I can think of are specific to the Limited Low, which I have. The front end is STIFF, the ride, even with Ohlins in the rear is a bit jarring. If I had to do it all over again I would get the regular Limited, put shorter Ohlins in the rear & a lower seat.... best of both worlds.

That said, it's nice to sit flat footed knees bent on a 900 pound bike.  :up:

Oh, the stock stereo leaves a bit to be desired.... especially the rear speakers. ~$500 in the aftermarket will cure that.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Offline DYankee

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 05:42:20 PM »
If you want to do some serious touring, it's the only way to go. The only con I can think of is if you happen to park in a down hill space and have to back out of it. The bike is heavy, but it rides and handles very well.

To me, the tour pack is not attractive, but it is really nice when you are taking a trip.

It mainly depends on what you want the bike for.

I ride mine every day and go on several long trips every year. I put close to 30K miles a year on mine and it only makes sense to have a limited for the storage and extra comforts.
Double Dark 13 Ultra Limited
11 Wide Glide

Offline bensfatboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 05:54:05 PM »
How tall are you?

6'-1"  I know I don't want low.  Want standard height,....right??

Offline lilchief

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »
Yes, at that height you'll want a standard height bike. The lows have reduced reach bars, seat, lowered suspension, etc, and you'd probably feel like a circus bear riding a sportster on a low.

Lil Chief
Famous Last Words:
"Hey Guys, Watch Me!!!"

Offline bensfatboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »
Yes, at that height you'll want a standard height bike. The lows have reduced reach bars, seat, lowered suspension, etc, and you'd probably feel like a circus bear riding a sportster on a low.

Lil Chief

Yes, set on a low and felt like my elbows were sticking out of my ribs when hands on the grips.

Offline Just Nick

• Site Supporter
  • Stop staring at my wife's boobs
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »
I have had a ultra limited and it is a great bike but at 6'5" the fairing is to close I felt boxed in on long rides but it handled good and was nimble in the corners, Then I sold that one for a roadglide ultra and I really liked that one way more the fairing is farther away and I never felt boxed in or cramped I wish I would have kept that bike. If you have not tried the Road Glide Ultra I would rent one or atleast test ride it just to make sure you don't like it more
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Offline bensfatboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 06:24:16 PM »
I have had a ultra limited and it is a great bike but at 6'5" the fairing is to close I felt boxed in on long rides but it handled good and was nimble in the corners, Then I sold that one for a roadglide ultra and I really liked that one way more the fairing is farther away and I never felt boxed in or cramped I wish I would have kept that bike. If you have not tried the Road Glide Ultra I would rent one or atleast test ride it just to make sure you don't like it more

A good friend of mine rides a roadglide.  He loves it.  My problem with that bike is that when you turn the bars, the fairing is fixed, i.e. headlights.  I like to look where I'm going.

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
As has been mentioned, rent one before you buy! Thot I wanted a tourer & found one at a real reasonable price. Drove the 5hrs (each way) & looked it over really well, was a done deal until I sat on it! :dgust:
 Just too tall & the floor boards are not for me. 6'2" & mostly leg & at above highway speeds the wind would catch my knees & pull my feet off the boards. Had some hip problems at the time that didn't help matters. That was on my first fatboy. Threw the boards off & built some "extended forward" controls & put pegs on it. Been very comfy since & 1300 kms./day are no problem. I put some hard bags on it & a tour pac & I will tour anywhere. :up:

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 10:16:56 PM »
I like mine. I'm 5'6", little tall for me, but I make it work. I like the fairing, heated grips, radio (  :embarrassed: ), lowers, trunk. I really like riding it, long distances are easy. Good power.
I don't like the weight when parking, the front end with the fairing will feel heavy at first, even at speed. The heat on the right side from the pipe is a bit much, but can be remedied. The suspension is not great.
Overall, a nice bike. More comfy than a softail, more calm than a RoadKing.
This on a '12.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline 00FHHRCI

• Western KY
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »
Greetings,

I had a 2010 Limited and traded to a Rushmore bike, a 2015 limited.  I like the 2015.  Lower center of gravity, more passenger seat room, navigation, touch screen radio, and water cooled heads, thus lower temperatures on the rider are just a few of the benefits that I noticed.  Did a stage one screaming eagle air cleaner with screaming eagle street cannon slip ones with Harley download and dynoed at over 100 ft lbs of torque.  LED lighting comes standard.  Very pleased with setup.

James

Offline moose

• Site Supporter
  • Toms River New Jersey
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 03:38:06 AM »
other than it weighing more than a tractor trailer it is great to ride. My 2011 Limited has all the comfort accessories that I need for long rides between the radio, radar, xm radio, radar detector, heated grips. I can go all day then stop for dinner and go some more. I'm 6'2 and fit perfect. I also have woods tw55 cams rinehardt pipes and se pro race tuner it runs like a bear. You will be happy or I'll give you half of what you paid to buy it from you    :gob:
Moose aka Glenn- If It Is To Be It Is Up To Me
10 2 letter works to live by

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 03:47:29 AM »
I like my 12 Ultra EG but I am 5'8", changed the handlebars, modifed the seat. From what I keep reading the RG fits the taller guys better?
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline runamuck

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 06:22:33 AM »
at 6' I am about the minimum ht. for the ultra I have. they are great for the long rides and if you take a passenger are the only way to go very far comfortably. I dont get limiteds because here in texas I take off the lowers every spring for extra airflow and one of the first things I do on a new bike is change out the grips and pegs so buying aftermarket grips with heater controls is more pricey and less to pick from. I just wear gloves. my wife does not understand the pack light concept so when we head out of ft. worth to red river or durango we are packed to the hilt and that makes the bike a little bit of a load but you get used to it quick. you can get a detach kit if you want to remove trunk when you dont need it.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 06:31:05 AM »
I have had an '05, '10 and now a '16, each one just keeps getting better. As for the Low, I have a "normal" Limited and it sits lower than my '10 did, I think it is just the seat. The suspension got stiff on the '10 compared to the '05, but now the '16 is better again, maybe not as plush as the '05, but much better than the '10.

As for the stereos, I have not been impressed with any of them, but I wear ear buds that I have wired into the headset leads so I don't think about it much. I have considered swapping out the speakers, but then remember I don't listen to them that much anyway.

As for the weight when parking, you learn fast to park facing up hill or to just look for a better parking spot and walk a bit farther!

Offline Tommy D

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 06:46:14 AM »
Looking to get into a touring bike after riding a cruiser for 5 years.  My Fatboy has been a good ride, but thinking about the Ultra Limited.  Can get a decent deal on one right now and thinking about going for it.  Just wanted to fined out from you guys riding one about the pros and cons.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I'd recommend fitting the bike to your height & riding style....handlebars, seat, windshield, etc
Change front & rear suspension for improved ride & handling.. The Mo Co premium front cartridge kit works great, in the rear, Super Shox would be my choice. I had Harleys' premium adjustable on the rear of mine, & swapped over to a set of Super Shox...better overall ride IMO
Get it fitted to your make up, stage 1 exhaust along with a great tune for improved drive ability & ride for the hills,,  you'll never look back or regret it  :up:

Ride Safe
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 06:48:40 AM by Tommy D »
Acts 4:12

Offline lilchief

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 07:12:50 AM »

A good friend of mine rides a roadglide.  He loves it.  My problem with that bike is that when you turn the bars, the fairing is fixed, i.e. headlights.  I like to look where I'm going.

Not being a smarta$$ here, but a cars headlights don't turn with the front wheels either. The RG headlight really doesn't leave you in the dark per say.
Lil Chief
Famous Last Words:
"Hey Guys, Watch Me!!!"

Offline calbyker69

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 07:20:23 AM »
I have been riding baggers since 1985. Had a 93 Softtail, an FXE and a couple sportsters along the way but nothing rides like a bagger. Now on a 2015 Limited. At 5'9" the only con is the weight. It is the first one that I stuggle to pick up alone. Could be my advanced age,  :crook:

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 10:32:45 AM »
I'm 56, not in a shape, had my 12 EG for 3 years (bought it used) and like I said above I'm 5'8" on a good day.  I used the Burley lowering kit to drop the rear a few hairs and had my seat slightly lowered and narrowed.  Yeah they are heavy bikes but so far that has not been a big issue. My only trouble with the weight is being aware when I switch from solo to two up. A loaded top box running two-up can make low speed stuff interesting.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline PIRSCH FIRE WAGON

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 05:15:08 AM »
I've been riding for more than 40 years. I started with a 72 Shovel. I've literally had everything from a Sportster on but, not a Road Glide.

I probably averaged about 20k miles a year. But, when I bought a 98 Bagger, I was done. Never to look back. I bought a 2k Ultra which is probably my last bike. It has 184k miles and one engine build. Windshield, Cruise, Stereo, Air Seat (heated).... Yea, I'm a Pussy now. But, I'm comfortable.

As for the Road Glide. My Buddy has a 2005 and I rode it a few thousand miles on a cross country trip. If I ever do buy another, it will be the Road Glide.

You can do anything any other bike can do with practice. Baggers are a Bitch to move up-hill. Just plan your parking appropriately or get a reverse (which I would otherwise own if I weren't so cheap and had kids in college) 
Tom

Offline runamuck

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 05:30:01 AM »
I have ridden with a few road glide owners. they have said that those bikes are more agile and handle a little better than the ultras but you are a little more exposed to the elements being farther back from the windshield. I have decided that If I ever get rid of my '09 ultra I will give a roadglide a thorough lookover. probably would be my last bike.

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 08:01:47 AM »
Sorry to hear about the RoadGlides........

I've actually sent an inquiry to Super Shox for pricing on a set of shocks for my Ultra. I like the bike, my wife finds it very comfortable. EXCEPT for the suspension, she hates it. After being on the BMW she now knows how nice a good suspension can be. I figure good shocks are cheaper than a new RT. Im also going to check on Ohlins.

Offline bobrk1

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »
got a 2012 love it just don't like the ride so much, pro suspension has a cartridge for the front forks that I heard is great at $400 and my bro said legend rear shocks are great at about $800 and they will go on other bikes if you sell you can keep them and get what you need for the fit. I changed the oil in rear shocks on my RK and it made a nice difference went with amsoil shock oil gonna do the front forks too hope that works aint got $400 or the $800 lol.

Offline UltraManPaul

• If it ain't broke, I didn't fix it
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 02:54:50 PM »
Greetings,

I had a 2010 Limited and traded to a Rushmore bike, a 2015 limited.  I like the 2015.  Lower center of gravity, more passenger seat room, navigation, touch screen radio, and water cooled heads, thus lower temperatures on the rider are just a few of the benefits that I noticed.  Did a stage one screaming eagle air cleaner with screaming eagle street cannon slip ones with Harley download and dynoed at over 100 ft lbs of torque.  LED lighting comes standard.  Very pleased with setup.

James

I agree with James, but I think the biggest thing will be getting used to not seeing the front wheel while riding. I remember when I went from an '03 Wideglide to my first bagger, an '07 Ultra, for some reason that bothered me. I'm now on a 2015 Limited as well. I absolutely love the ride and handling over the '07. The only thing I don't like is the LED headlight. It's great for going down the road, but making a turn in the dark is a bit scary as the top of the light pattern is cut of on all the newer LED's. That top half is what used to illuminate the turn. Turning on the high beam helps, but not much. Since all the new baggers are coming stock with LED's, I think it's something to consider....

UMP
2015 FLHTK, SE Agitator AF, SE Slip-ons, Chrome front end.

Offline glens

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »

It's heavy 'til it gets rolling.  Other than that, what the hell are you waiting for?

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 03:28:04 PM »

It's heavy 'til it gets rolling.  Other than that, what the hell are you waiting for?

Yup, better jump on that good deal, it will go away and you miss out.
If nothing else, go take one for a test ride so you know what you're in for.

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 06:02:18 AM »

Not being a smarta$$ here, but a cars headlights don't turn with the front wheels either. The RG headlight really doesn't leave you in the dark per say.
Lil Chief

not to mention if you are "turning your bike" you are going pretty slow,, I lean,, just sayin..

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 05:58:26 PM »
After listening to all of the Road Glide owners talk so highly of their converting over I decided to take the OL on a spring trip to California and rent one (RGU) for a week. I knew 1 day or a few hours would not give me a real sense of what they were like. I (we) rode in every condition you could imagine that week and it was hands down everything they described. I consequently bought a used 2011 RGU 3 years ago and when I get on it I hate ending the ride. They handle lighter than my Ultra and are like a dart in the wind. My RK handles lighter but doesn't offer the same in wind protection or streamlined control meeting trucks or heavy headwinds. Don't ride a Road Glide for too long unless you are prepared to buy one. For those of you (ie. Hoss  :hyst: ) that think they are ugly, you WILL change your mind after owning one.   :koolaid: :potstir: :pop:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 06:42:52 PM by kd »
KD

Offline lilchief

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 06:55:27 PM »
After listening to all of the Road Glide owners talk so highly of their converting over I decided to take the OL on a spring trip to California and rent one (RGU) for a week. I knew 1 day or a few hours would not give me a real sense of what they were like. I (we) rode in every condition you could imagine that week and it was hands down everything they described. I consequently bought a used 2011 RGU 3 years ago and when I get on it I hate ending the ride. They handle lighter than my Ultra and are like a dart in the wind. My RK handles lighter but doesn't offer the same in wind protection or streamlined control meeting trucks or heavy headwinds. Don't ride a Road Glide for too long unless you are prepared to buy one. For those of you (ie. Hoss  :hyst: ) that think they are ugly, you WILL change your mind after owning one.   :koolaid: :potstir: :pop:

As a previous batwing owner, when I went looking at new bikes 2 years ago, I was certain and set on the fact that I was getting another batwing. I took a chance & test rode the RG, and for me, there was no looking back. I'm glad I took that test ride that day. I love my RG.
Lil Chief
Famous Last Words:
"Hey Guys, Watch Me!!!"

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2016, 07:43:45 PM »
You're both ship jumpers, leaving your batwing bethren to fend for themselves. It's just wrong.
Just for that, I'm not going to take one for a ride. You're not going to fool me into liking that damn thing.
Besides, I already crossed one line getting a fairing and a damn radio (which I really like). If I like riding a RoadGlide, that's a whole lot of crow to eat around here. I can't risk it.

Offline lilchief

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 04:41:27 AM »
You're both ship jumpers, leaving your batwing bethren to fend for themselves. It's just wrong.
Just for that, I'm not going to take one for a ride. You're not going to fool me into liking that damn thing.
Besides, I already crossed one line getting a fairing and a damn radio (which I really like). If I like riding a RoadGlide, that's a whole lot of crow to eat around here. I can't risk it.

:hyst:  :hyst:
Famous Last Words:
"Hey Guys, Watch Me!!!"

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 05:26:55 AM »

That really has to hurt, that radio thing. Seems to me, at one time you were one of the strong objectors to radios on motorcycles. :potstir:

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2016, 06:08:14 AM »

That really has to hurt, that radio thing. Seems to me, at one time you were one of the strong objectors to radios on motorcycles. :potstir:

At one time, I MAY have railed against fairings, radios, cruise control, gear indicators, and 6 speed transmissions.
If I start to like RoadGlides, what have I got left?
And to think, I've actually entertained the idea of owning a BMW. Sad.
What has happened to me?
At least I will never answer a phone while riding.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
And to think, I've actually entertained the idea of owning a BMW. Sad.
What has happened to me?
At least I will never answer a phone while riding.

You got old!

I remember when I bought my first Ultra, some guys gave me crap about all the creature comforts and that I was getting soft. I told them I have ridden for years on pretty basic bikes so I think it was time to make the ride more comfortable.

Offline les

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2016, 11:35:21 AM »
Con:
You won't be able to wipe the s#!t eatin' grin off your face.

IMO, the ultra limited is an amazing bike.

Offline freddie_ray

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2016, 12:12:55 PM »
2012 Ultra Limited here, after riding naked bikes since 1969 I got an 09 RK in 2011 and when I retired in 2012 I traded the King for the Limited. IMHO this is the best Harley that I've owened since my 71 FLH. I'm a batwing guy and don't give a F about any other fairing model. Just old school I guess. Nothing is prettier than a Batwing Harley. Just my opinion, I'm 6' and it fits me fine. :gob:

Offline hattitude

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2016, 08:58:12 PM »
I think the sharknose is fugly!!! But I may be ready to fall......

I road naked bikes since 1977. Even my two Heritage Softails never had the windshields on them.....

Then in 2012 I bought an Ultra Limited... WOW... loved the batwing and loved the radio. I kept the '03 Heritage as my day trip bike, but immediately put the windshield on it...    :emoGroan:

I'm reading many good things about the M8 bikes, and I also started reading about Road Glides...   :oops:

I'm waiting until 2018 (in case HD does go with a new frame in 2018). But thinking I'll test a Road Glide Ultra. If it's as good as I've read, I'll get a Road Glide for my long range touring trips

But I refuse to test ride an M8 or a Road Glide until 2018.....!!!!

Offline bensfatboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »

Lil Chief

Hey Lil Chief.  Just reading some of my older posts'.  Realize your are not trying to be a smarta$$, but four wheels are different than two.  Big difference. 

Offline stro1965

• Bellevue, NE
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 07:15:26 PM »
I REALLY wanted a new M8 Road King last summer. So much so that I considered trading my '14 Limited for it. I ended up buying the King and keeping the LTD and I'm so glad I did. Completely different rides. Love my Limited!

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
Ben, don't rule out a RG due to the headlight. You can always put some driving lights on the crash bar if you ride at night. I've owned both an Ultra and a RG and there is no comparison in handling. The RG wins hands down. Both are heavy touring bikes but with some upgrades in front and rear suspensions, it will handle well.

I recently bought a BMW K1600GTLE and I was afraid I would never go back to my 2012 RG Custom but I have the RG upgraded in motor and suspension and I still love to ride both of them.

HTH, good luck!
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »
 :missed:  Soooo. This thread is almost 1 1/2 years old. What did you do???  :scratch:

:chop:
Coyote, I think we need a Road Glide emoticon for Hoss.
KD

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 11:58:38 PM »

It will be one ugly emoticon.!...

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »

Make sure it has a radio too! :hyst:

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »

Bingo!

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 03:34:55 PM »

Bingo!
Hoss I have a 12 Street Glide with a 124 and the 13 Road Glide that has the 143 that Steve is upgrading it now and I really like the way the Road Glide handles as far as the fixed front fairing  . I don't ride at night any way so I could care less for the lights. There both money pits and I never been one to spend money on things except for these Harleys lol damn . Truth is I not a kid any more and I going to have some fun while I can damn . If I had to choose I have a one bike and only one I have a Road Glide. My be a turbo bike lol 

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2018, 03:54:55 PM »
Oh I understand that they handle better. They would have to compared to the weight of the batwing on the front end.
But damn those roadglides are ugly! And the new ones have the dash even further away. I would have to scoot up on the tank to run the touchscreen.