Author Topic: my winter gasket change  (Read 1568 times)

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
Re: my winter gasket change
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
Hmm, maybe I should get after my air filter, it's been awhile.
Happiness does not buy money.

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2017, 06:14:46 PM »
Don't the umbrella valves creat a negative pressure? I know that there are going to be pulsates, but...........
FWIW I run duel lines one to each head, no filters.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
Don't the umbrella valves creat a negative pressure? I know that there are going to be pulsates, but...........
FWIW I run duel lines one to each head, no filters.

Bingo!
If they are not there they can't plug and need no mantainance, why add a possible problem with something that serves no purpose.

Offline N-gin

• Site Supporter
  • \,,/ (>.<) \,,/ Brraaaaap!
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2017, 11:06:53 PM »
Ray there was a gauge to measure crankcase pressure and vacuum for v8s back when I was wrenching at the dealer, but being that there are 2 pistons decending at the same time there are bound to be some pulse of pressure..not easy to check for sure, but maybe you could find a way to see how fast the air evacuates..maybe blow some air into the oil fill and see if it freely flows out or takes a while.

If the filter was enough to possibly blow the gasket (if it was due to that) I would be concerned about the 1/4 hose. I'm thinking the I.D. is not big enough for 2 4.125 pistons..
I'll also add a filter should not be used, the vapor can add restriction...think waterboarding. Not much air gets through wet cloth

What I did to my breather system is drill out the breather hose in the head and bolts bigger and run 2 separate 3/8 hoses to the canister. There is a fair amount of air escaping while the engine is running and I only have a 107.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
  • there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2017, 04:34:11 AM »
  I got thinking last night about the 1/4" hose that I shoved in the top of the catch can might not being big enough too.
I do run two separate 3/8" hoses from the heads to the catch can. I might drill the hole out larger on top the catch can for a bigger ID hose. I'm still thinking of other options....but I haven't came up with any good ideas yet on how to make a good permanent fix for it.
 I have one other idea...but I need to go to the hardware store to get a couple of pieces.
08 FLHX 124", wfolarry 110 heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »
  version 2

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2017, 10:31:51 AM »
 :up: :up:

Offline N-gin

• Site Supporter
  • \,,/ (>.<) \,,/ Brraaaaap!
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
 :up:
that road draft tube you added is great idea.. you may have added benefit of the passing air creating a slight vacuum to help
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
I had hell in the years past with valve cover gaskets leaking on a vw diesel and finally I started using permatex  sealer on both sides of the gasket that stopped the problems . I was damn tired of the leaks, I know the vw is not a Harley but its got a lot of compression , I still use the sealer on the TDI gaskets even though they better made .  I used the sealer a lot of times on used gaskets and no leaks  or very little on the TDI or the id motors .  If I going to use anything on a rubber gasket I prefer the permatex

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
  That cap on the catch can is a PVC 3/4" threaded 90* elbow that had a 1/2" barb on the other end. When I seen that at the hardware store bells and whistles went off in my head.  :hyst:
  What I did was I removed the threads on the inside of the 3/4" end with a dremel bit to open it up enough so it could slide down over the catch can. I cut slots in the side walls of the 3/4" end so a hose clamp could pinch it tightly to the catch can. The barbed end I cut all the barbs off except the last one. I sanded it and painted it black. I used clear hose so I can keep an eye on what's going on with this rig. The hose is 7/8" OD with a 5/8" ID...so I don't think it's going to cause any restrictions. I put the rubber hose in a pot of boiling water to shape the 90* turn and to be able to stretch it over the barb end. The only way I'm getting that hose back off that fitting is to slice it with a razor...no clamp was needed.
   I just set the rig on the catch can and zip tied the hose to the frame for the picture. I'm going to try to maybe turn it 180* from where it's at in the picture so the hose will be behind the catch can when all is said and done.

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »
 version 3
I downsized the elbow and hose to 1/2".

added later:
The hose should turn clear again. I had just boiled it in water to shape it and it still had some moisture in it.

Online kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »
Ray, I like your idea dropping the vent tube down like that. Enough so that I have decided not to run all the way up vertical to the steering head as I previously stated. I will turn mine back down like yours and let it catch a little road draft (like N-gin said) to cash in on pulling a little vacuum from the wind passing by the lower tip. It may be helpful at the higher RPM with the long stroke and big pistons and is at least worth trying.

Without a catch can, while vented to atmosphere by running the 2 breather vents into one 3/8 tube along the lower right frame rail to the back of the transmission, I could get a small drop occasionally under the end of the tube if I was running it hard. (Well OK, like maybe more often then  :hyst:). The catch can, and the up section of catchcan vent hose should stop that occasional drip.

This has been a good thread. I'm glad you brought it up.  :up:
KD

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »
  thanks kd.  :up:  The credit should go to Eric (1FSTRK) for turning me on to the possibility of the catch can filter clogging up and not letting the engine breath the way it should. It made perfect sense to take the filter out of the mix.
  I did take the bike out for a ride around the block to check out the new down vent. It was 33*...burrr.
The engine seemed to be breathing fine with the new vent hose.
With it being so cold out now I might try to get it up on the lift this weekend and start pulling it apart. I think winter is here.  :doh:

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »
 Ray years ago synthetic oil would cause seals to leak if they were use to using mineral oil . The additive package was not correct then or I was told that later on the package was changed to stop that . The last engine that I had leaked a tad long with the rest of the crap it did Damn and I was not happy with any of the nonsense . Steve fixed all of that damn . I don't blame you I hate oil leaks on a bike

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »
  I didn't like the way the hose looked coming off the catch can in my prior versions.
I went back to the larger 3/4" elbow and larger ID/OD hose. I tried to get rid of the ugly bend in the hose and make it look more uniformed.
This one looks better to me.  :nix:

version IV

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
 :up: :up:

It's not right until it is Ray Right.
Looks good.

Offline No Cents