Author Topic: Rear axle spacers for 73 swingarm  (Read 373 times)

Offline 66spade

Rear axle spacers for 73 swingarm
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
Could anyone tell me what the proper length spacers are for 73 swingarm with cast wheel? Thanks Doug

Offline Mule

Re: Rear axle spacers for 73 swingarm
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
Did Harley have cast wheels in 1973? I don't remember but I don't think so, I thought cast wheels came in around 1975? You are probably going to have to custom make some.

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »
I use 3/4 inch axle shims in 1/8 inch increments to determine the total length of each spacer. This is done with the sprockets aligned. Mock it up, measure and then find the spacer or make your own like Mule said. Make sure the swing arm axle adjustment slots aren't worn out also. Dirty

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:05:22 AM »
I made a set , don't remember the width, but made them tapered so the wider edge rested on the edge of the swingarm. This stopped it from collapsing the swingarm when the axle may have been overtightened. Frank

Online 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
Kinda OT but you guys should see the stackup I “assembled” to run a GMA brake system one side and a rear speedometer drive on the other. :embarrassed:
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 05:09:39 AM »
Dont tease 76, bring on the PICS.

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 05:14:10 AM »

In my brain I'm seeing a couple of mismatched spacers from the spare parts drawer used on one side, and a stack of fender washers on the other.
No shirt, no shoes, but I still get service.
Why? Girl, look at this body!

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »
What I did was work from the brake side and move to the left side.  The space on the caliper side is pretty fixed because of the caliper/disc.  Once that side is properly spaced move to the sprocket side. I used my fender as a guide to center the wheel.  I would get an assortment of spacers and shims, find the right combination, it may take a few tries, but you will find it.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Offline Burnout

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 07:52:22 AM »
I look at rear wheel alignment very differently

Since chain alignment is the most critical that is the place to start. You can't move the trans sprocket, other than to offset it so lining up the chain should come first. Both sprockets MUST be parallel and inline. So in essence the position of the rear sprocket is fixed as it has to be directly behind the trans sprocket. It is not a good idea to use any spacers on the drive sprocket. You use a straight edge on each sprocket to make sure the rear is parallel and lined up with the front. There is limited forgiveness here, if there is a mismatch the chain life will be significantly impacted. Shovelheads don't wad up the chain and break cases like XL's do so that's not such a big concern.

The brake can fall anywhere, the rotor can be spaced (if needed), and the caliper mount adjusted to center the caliper on the rotor.

And since rear fenders are rarely straight I center the rear tire in the frame and shim the fender struts to center the fender.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
Burnout, its been a while since I have spaced my rear tire and now that you explain it I have to stand corrected.  Yes, the caliper can certainly be spaced to fit the disc.  Left to right   :agree:
You got my grey matter moving....now I need a nap
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Online billbuilds

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 06:45:44 PM »
       I don't think that it matters whether you are using a 40 spoke laced wheel or a cast wheel, the chain final drive swing arms from 73 on all used the same axle (41552-73) and the same spacer (41595-73). It's .8125 in length. I don't have a Girling caliper bracket here to measure but I do have a banana caliper bracket and the built-in spacer on it is an inch in length. Bill

Offline motorplex88

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »
 :agree: I changed over to a spoke wheel from a cast on my 76 model and did not have any  problem using the same spacers for either wheel. Banana caliper was used on both wheels.

Offline Mule

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 07:56:10 AM »
I agree with Bill, but there are so many things that could effect things on these old shovels! With those part numbers you should be able to buy ready made spacers etc providing that everything is stock. My 81 has a round swing arm, disc brake not stock...

Online 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »

In my brain I'm seeing a couple of mismatched spacers from the spare parts drawer used on one side, and a stack of fender washers on the other.

Close, as I recall there’s a couple spacers I made at work for the right side to get the caliper and sprocket correct but there’s another inside the left hub because the speedo drive wasn’t long enough and a heavy washer between the speedo drive and left arm on the swing arm because the drive wants to tip into the axle adjustment slot.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline drinner-okc

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »
in '05 I bought a Pan Custom.  Dual Disc Front end with H-D Mags.  The spacers were PVC. cut with a hack saw.

When I got it home I noticed the spacers between the forks & fender were 3/8" nuts on 5/16" bolts. I was gonna pull the wheel & use real spacers.  I put a 12" crescent on the axle nut & turned around to get something & heard the wrench hit the floor.
The weight of the wrench loosened the nut and the wrench slid off. when I slid out the axle the PVC hit the floor.  WTF ?

Offline yarddogg77

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 08:07:09 PM »
A mag wheel is special because you can't just re-lace it like a spoke wheel. On mine I was able to line up the sprocket, then re-lace the wheel to be true in the frame, it's pretty close anyway, but It's much better to have a bike with the tracking as straight as possible. If you check your sprocket alignment and find the wheel is out of center, you might have to shim the sprocket. Are you installing the 7 spoke mags? I love those things  :baby:
My shop has a grass floor and really high ceiling... Yard - Dogg

Online billbuilds

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 04:04:50 AM »
       I'm thinking that alignment with front wheel is more important than where the rear wheel sits in relation to the rear fender, swing arm, etc.   :potstir:  Bill

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
Well Bill, I'm thinking 66spade has used a shim and the frame geometry is all good now. LOL     Dirty

Offline 66spade

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 09:03:49 PM »
Hey I believe billbuilds is correct on the sprocket side spacer. I sure appreciate you guys giving me feedback. Been awhile since i had my bike together and I have forgotten a lot. Thanks again.It sucks to get old.