Author Topic: Gas in air cleaner  (Read 278 times)

Offline jisco43

Gas in air cleaner
« on: May 10, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
  Hello!  Got a 2000 Sportster recently with 16,600 miles. Was owned by an elderly gentleman who took it to the dealer for everything. Pretty much cherry for it's age. I've noticed gas inside the air cleaner assembly while cleaning and servicing. I've had 2 other Sportsters, a 1971 XLCH and a 1976 XLH. That said, I have a lot of exhaust popping when letting off the gas, especially down hills. Replaced all of the exhaust gaskets, the crossover and both at the engine. Can anyone explain the gas in the cover and the popping? Would appreciate any and all help.
Thanks!

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
Re: Gas in air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
Are you running drag pipes?
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 05:35:41 PM »
Are you running drag pipes?

He mentioned a crossover, so I'm assuming stock pipes.
What mods have been done to the bike? Baffles drilled out of mufflers? Carb rejetted? Are the head breathers still routed into the air cleaner? A lot of what looks like fuel is probably a combo of fuel and oil collecting in the air filter assembly.
Make sure your air filter is clean, don't lug the motor. Lugging tends to cause fuel and oil mist to collect in the filter. Rejetting the carb might help.
My boss always says mean things to me,
like, "You're late."

Offline Panzer

• Shed Master
  • Site Supporter
  • Live one day at a time.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »
While running, spray some carb. cleaner around the intake manifold and see if it changes idle speed.
You don't have to shovel sunshine ..... let's ride.

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 07:49:11 PM »
Only about a 1000 miles per year on average, the carb may need a rebuild and cleaning. Good advice from Panzer as well.
like, "You're late."

Offline jisco43

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I was wrong about gas being in the air cleaner, should have said a thin film of oil instead. The bike it totally stock. The original owner had a couple friends that he rode with. One passed away and the other had to quit riding due to his health so he decided to sell the bike. The bike seems cold natured, with a strong smell of gas just by opening the petcock. Did some reading and understand that the crankcase vents into the air cleaner, which is original. Is the exhaust popping on deceleration down hills to be expected? My 71 & 76 Sportsters didn't from what I remember.
Thanks, in advance!

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »
The exhaust popping on decel is pretty common due to a lean condition. Your carb is probably pretty dirty, and probably needs a rebuild, or at least a tune. As mentioned, check for leaking manifold gaskets at the carb and heads. The petcock should not flow fuel when it is not running, as it is vacuum operated, but it may be leaking as well. And, the float in the carb may be sticking and overflowing.
To avoid the oil going into the carb through the breathers, the hoses can be rerouted to a catch can, or just drain to the ground. Do a search here, you will find much information.
As far as the cold natured aspect, does it start and run well with the choke on when cold? It needs to be on for a while until the motor warms up, you can't just start it and turn the choke off. Again, the cold nature could be a sign of a lean condition.
like, "You're late."

Offline jisco43

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
Thanks Hossamania. Going to get a can of carb cleaner and check for leaks. The closest HD dealership is about 40 miles away and we've had nothing but rain lately. Appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

Offline jisco43

Re: Carb reuild parts?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
 Wanting to order some replacement parts so that I can remove & clean my carb.
 It says Harley Davidson on both sides but having a problem finding intake gaskets, etc.
 Any idea what the problem might be, or is this carb made by someone for Harley Davidson?
   Thanks!

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
All the parts you need should be available from your Harley dealer, or most local independent shops, or CV Performance. Your carberator is a Kiehn CV40. Very common, all your parts are common and readily available.
like, "You're late."

Offline jisco43

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
 Thank you for the information. Big help!!!