Author Topic: Has anyone ever used JB Weld on their Enging case?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Cabreco

Re: Has anyone ever used JB Weld on their Enging case?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »
   I never did hear what year it is? that being said, when you go in to look at your stator, put a well fitting pipe over the output shaft & wiggle it. Look at the seam between the aluminum casting & the steel bearing race holder, if you see oil ooze out from the crack, You guessed it! While your at it notice how much oil come out of the primary, that oozing can leak oil from the motor over.

Jeff it's a 1990. Tested the stator output and ground & it checked out. I had an extra rectifier so I swapped it out & it is working perfect. Just picked up a new battery and this problem was an easy fix. Funny thing is when I picked this bike up, the volt meter used to jump quickly back & forth between 11 & 13.5 volts so I replaced the oem gauge. (I always assumed it was due to the Harley shaking) It didn't help. Now with the new rectifier it is reading steady.

Now if all the gremlins can stay at bay, I will begin Soda Blasting the plastics & tank for paint.
Andy
Johnson City Tennessee

Offline Deye76

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »
"She is bone dry and running."

Good job. Hope it holds.  :up:
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline Cabreco

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »
"She is bone dry and running."

Good job. Hope it holds.  :up:

:bike:

Andy
Johnson City Tennessee

Offline bobrk1

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
A neighbor  had a 750  honda the chain got loose and  wore a hole in the  case I used some epoxy 5 years  later  still  running  patched  a cracked  block  on a car I  had run it 9 years  so I  say the stuff   should  be  good 

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 04:53:04 AM »
   I never did hear what year it is? that being said, when you go in to look at your stator, put a well fitting pipe over the output shaft & wiggle it. Look at the seam between the aluminum casting & the steel bearing race holder, if you see oil ooze out from the crack, You guessed it! While your at it notice how much oil come out of the primary, that oozing can leak oil from the motor over.

Jeff it's a 1990. Tested the stator output and ground & it checked out. I had an extra rectifier so I swapped it out & it is working perfect. Just picked up a new battery and this problem was an easy fix. Funny thing is when I picked this bike up, the volt meter used to jump quickly back & forth between 11 & 13.5 volts so I replaced the oem gauge. (I always assumed it was due to the Harley shaking) It didn't help. Now with the new rectifier it is reading steady.

Now if all the gremlins can stay at bay, I will begin Soda Blasting the plastics & tank for paint.

That is a common breaking point on those cases. It will only be dry until it breaks the corner of the case the rest of the way off. Not what you wanted to hear but I have seen many of them over the years.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Offline Thermodyne

• Site Supporter
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 10:06:56 AM »
Spent some time today on it. Made sure the oil was out. Cleaned it thoroughly. Stop drilled the  crack & v grooved the entire crack. Afterwards I used several passes of lacquer thinner to make sure it ware absolutely clean before applying JB Weld.
Well let's see how it plays out.

That crack is caused by a casting defect.  And there is a chance that you gave another crack in the base of the mounting flange. 

Welding was not a reliable option to repair those cases, since the fault was in the casting wall thickness. 

Offline deathwish

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
Just a note. JB weld is far inferior to Locktite 1C also called Hysol. We use a lot of Hysol on vintage kart engines. Stronger, handles heat better, is oil and alcohol resitant. On the inside of an alky burning kart engine if you use JB weld it will break down in a a year. If you use  Hysol it will still be there 10 years later. McMaster Carr carries it.

Offline david lee

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 05:03:56 AM »
from what i see here its a bad design

Offline farmall

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
Just a note. JB weld is far inferior to Locktite 1C also called Hysol. We use a lot of Hysol on vintage kart engines. Stronger, handles heat better, is oil and alcohol resitant. On the inside of an alky burning kart engine if you use JB weld it will break down in a a year. If you use  Hysol it will still be there 10 years later. McMaster Carr carries it.

Hysol adhesives are great stuff. The Air Force uses them to attach wire bundle standoffs to F-16s.  (Mix in the bottom of an inverted soda can, apply, then set the can aside to cure. When the leftover Hysol on the can is cured, so is your workpiece.)

Loctite 9483 sounds interesting. I'll pass that to my machinist friend who has to fix lots of oddball, ancient production machinery.

Offline deathwish

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 06:42:39 PM »
Hysol is so good we take a T style crank throw in a 2 stroke and put an alum band around it and fill it with Hysol. Making a full circle crank that spins at 13,000 rpm in a 375* engine in alky and oil. It will last for years when done properly. JB weld will last for only a few runs. There is that much difference and the cost is almost the same.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »
Many years ago I had a marine mechanic tell me they had a back up generator on a large ship that scored a cylinder. They wanted to boat loaded and under way and parts to do a proper job were a few days away. Something about the inspections not allowing them to leave without the genny running. :idunno: He said he filled the cylinder scores with epoxy, honed the cylinder and put it together. It ran long enough to get the ship OK'd for use and away it went. He ordered the proper parts and a few weeks later when the ship was in port he tore it down and fixed it properly. He claimed the cylinder repair still looked good, but it had just a few minutes of run time.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!