Author Topic: Back in the EVO game!  (Read 2810 times)

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
Back in the EVO game!
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »
Well hot diggity dog. I found myself a bike that I've been looking for, for a while now. Went and did a look-see last weekend, put a deposit on it, will go back on Friday to ride it home.

1992 Softail Heritage FLSTC, Turquoise and Cream, 36,000 miles.
 :baby:

I had a '91 Heritage, and sure have been missing it. This one is in pretty decent shape overall, a bit of nasty ding in the top of the front fender where some Bozo had mounted a tool bag to the passing lamp crossover bar and bottomed the front end over something. Other than that, the only major issue with it is a whole bunch of pose-astic crap bolted and glued all over it. You know that Live to Ride garbage on the gas caps, derby, yadda, yadda, and other functional stuff that's been replaced with chrome versions of. The tires are also worn to the point of needing replaced, which is a good thing, since I truly hate those pimpmoble white wall tires on a motorcycle. (no offense!!)  :SM:

So task one after getting it home is to de-posify it, then do a thorough inspection of all the mechanicals. No idea if the cam has been replaced, probably not. So at a minimum, swap the cam, push rods, tappets, and inner cam bearing. After 25 years, the charging systems is also likely ether gone or on the way out, so will deal with that also. The bike was on a charger when I showed up to see it, so figure the battery very likely shot. I bought a new one today to take up there and drop in so at least I can get the thing home under it's own power if the stator is fried.

Will post some pix after I get it home and cleaned up a bit.

cheers,
JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline packrat56

• packrat56
Re: Back in the EVO game!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
 :up: :up:
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:35:02 PM »
I've always been partial to the turquoise and creme color scheme.
Congratulations, have fun with that one!
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline Flhfxd

• Ex pat Newfie
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 04:46:03 AM »
Nice project  :up:
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Offline Deye76

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 05:02:52 AM »
Way to go JW, can't wait to see what you do with it. I know it will be cool, and run good. :up:
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Online Pete_Vit

• Site Supporter
  • "No good deed goes unpunished"
    • Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 06:25:46 AM »
Well hot diggity dog. I found myself a bike that I've been looking for, for a while now. Went and did a look-see last weekend, put a deposit on it, will go back on Friday to ride it home.

1992 Softail Heritage FLSTC, Turquoise and Cream, 36,000 miles.
 :baby:

I had a '91 Heritage, and sure have been missing it. This one is in pretty decent shape overall, a bit of nasty ding in the top of the front fender where some Bozo had mounted a tool bag to the passing lamp crossover bar and bottomed the front end over something. Other than that, the only major issue with it is a whole bunch of pose-astic crap bolted and glued all over it. You know that Live to Ride garbage on the gas caps, derby, yadda, yadda, and other functional stuff that's been replaced with chrome versions of. The tires are also worn to the point of needing replaced, which is a good thing, since I truly hate those pimpmoble white wall tires on a motorcycle. (no offense!!)  :SM:

So task one after getting it home is to de-posify it, then do a thorough inspection of all the mechanicals. No idea if the cam has been replaced, probably not. So at a minimum, swap the cam, push rods, tappets, and inner cam bearing. After 25 years, the charging systems is also likely ether gone or on the way out, so will deal with that also. The bike was on a charger when I showed up to see it, so figure the battery very likely shot. I bought a new one today to take up there and drop in so at least I can get the thing home under it's own power if the stator is fried.

Will post some pix after I get it home and cleaned up a bit.

cheers,
JW
  :up: nice find, can't wait to see the pix, the ST Heritage is one of my favorite Softails 
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS  -     AMA
http://www.harleypartscheap.com/

Online Burnout

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 07:48:53 AM »
The FXR is my favorite Softail!   :potstir:

I never could figure out how to get a softail turned without dragging the floor boards....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Online SixShooter14

• HTT Greeter
  • Site Supporter
  • Proud Arkansan
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
The FXR is my favorite Softail!   :potstir:

I never could figure out how to get a softail turned without dragging the floor boards....
Take'em off...duh  :hyst:

congrats on the new ride, JW.
 :wwp:
'92 FXSTC mostly stock

Offline gryphon

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
It really slays me when guys hang "ride to Live" stuff all over a bike they never ride. It seems like the more they hang on it the less they ride it. I did a crash repair for a guy just a few years back. He had bought the bike new about 5 years prior. It was covered with every available RTL foo-foo gizmo he could find (mixed evenly with skull stuff). While the repair was still going on he stopped by constantly and couldn't stop talking about how he missed "being in the wind" etc etc. After 5 years of owning the bike it had like 1300 miles on it. I finally had to ask him how much he actually missed those 22 miles a month he was averaging. After that he quit coming over until the job was finished.

Online Pete_Vit

• Site Supporter
  • "No good deed goes unpunished"
    • Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
It really slays me when guys hang "ride to Live" stuff all over a bike they never ride. It seems like the more they hang on it the less they ride it. I did a crash repair for a guy just a few years back. He had bought the bike new about 5 years prior. It was covered with every available RTL foo-foo gizmo he could find (mixed evenly with skull stuff). While the repair was still going on he stopped by constantly and couldn't stop talking about how he missed "being in the wind" etc etc. After 5 years of owning the bike it had like 1300 miles on it. I finally had to ask him how much he actually missed those 22 miles a month he was averaging. After that he quit coming over until the job was finished.
  :hyst: :hyst:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS  -     AMA
http://www.harleypartscheap.com/

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »
  :hyst: :hyst:

Those- those are the 45 MPH white knucklers plugging up the roads ...
Too stupid and too scared to look in the mirrors and get tahelloutof theway !

i used to think less of them cause they trailer their chrome trash everywhere.
Now i have arrived at the conclusion - that trailering is not plug up the roads.
Its a better ride for me ! (and everyone else as they are driving what they are more comfortable in.)
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline david lee

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
the best thing i did on my fx shovel was to get rid of aftermarket running boards and went to stock controls heaps more comfortable

Offline Breeze

• middle Georgia '68 Shovel,'92 Dyna, '07 E.Glide
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:58:18 AM »

Maybe he was one of the guys in this video (about 1 1/2 min. mark). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUB2darr5mU
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Offline nibroc

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »
thanks for posting that vid Breeze

Offline david lee

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »
a mate of mine used to have a 1987 black and cream heritage which he couldnt kill.this trike im trying to buy of a stubbon owner has a rev tec motor which i will replace with a evo.can anyone give me some advice how to convince the owner to sell besides flashing cash at him. thanks all
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:56:42 PM by david lee »

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
this trike im trying to buy of a stubbon owner has a rev tec motor which i will replace with a evo.can anyone give me some advice how to convince the owner to sell besides flashing cash at him. thanks all

I am confused, you are trying to buy a trike that is not for sale?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
Pics are on the way, I'm headed up there at 0-dark-thirty tomorrow morning to get it. Forecast is rain for Friday through Sunday, and sure don't want to get stuck on a bike of unknown provenance in the pouring rain out on the freeway.

Yeah, live to ride, blah blah blah. 25 year old bike, 36,000 miles, that 120 miles a month. A real iron butt, eh? Anyway, I say more power to those guys. Means guys like me can find low miles old iron.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline david lee

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »
this trike im trying to buy of a stubbon owner has a rev tec motor which i will replace with a evo.can anyone give me some advice how to convince the owner to sell besides flashing cash at him. thanks all

he says he will sell it to me but when is the big question.

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 01:50:14 AM »

talks cheap , if you have not flashed cash at him , then you have NOT tried to buy it !

Offline Deye76

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 05:32:11 AM »
For sure JW, safe travels.  :chop:
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline david lee

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »

talks cheap , if you have not flashed cash at him , then you have NOT tried to buy it !
ive flashed cash $27000 crispy $100 bills which he even said is to much for the trike.he wants to enjoy it a bit before he sells it after re buying from the last guy he sold it to.he last sold it 4yrs ago for $25000 and re bought it for $20000. a mate said keep ringing him every 2 weeks until he cracks.thanks

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:22 PM »
Is that $27,000 American dollars? He's right, that's too much. Way too much.
But, maybe the market there is much tougher than here. Still, $20,000 for an old trike that you plan to pull the motor on seems steep.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
I guess you could hold a gun on him, but that might be a bit extreme.

The best way to get him to part with it is to buy a different trike. About the time you get it home he will call! :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline david lee

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
this trike is registered.to find them and get them registered in australia is next to impossible they have to be engineered. i doubt the the trikes i see in the usa would pass regulations here.even to import them is to much drama and costly.im hopeing patience pays off. thanks

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »
I hope it works out!
But now you bring up an interesting topic on trikes there. When you say they must be engineered, what is it that makes a stock Tri Glide unacceptable? How are they engineered to pass inspection?