Author Topic: Heads On An EVO  (Read 1064 times)

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
Re: Heads On An EVO
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 05:43:08 AM »
Here is something that I just thought of that may be an issue. When I mill the heads down, is that going to screw up the alignment for the intake manifold?

Nope. .050" will not affect intake alignment or seal. In fact, the machine shop that did mine told me that he has had many police bikes through his shop, and observed they are milled .050" from the factory.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 07:34:49 AM »
At least count  i had near .075 off mine plus some of bottom of jugs.
No problems .
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:59:36 AM by thumper 823 »
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline 94wideglide

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »
In January I'll be putting an EV27 into a Stock '97 Heritage    :chop:

I just rebuilt my 94 FXDWG last year with 48,000 and the only thing we used over was the EV27. It really liked a little added compression and head work.

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 04:19:23 AM »
Here is something that I just thought of that may be an issue. When I mill the heads down, is that going to screw up the alignment for the intake manifold?

When you take X, from the head surface, you need to take Y from the intake flange pad.
S/E heads are machined in that area, and are -.060" less than the OE dimension of 3.750".
In a Goodson fixture, and in a milling vise, you simply indicate that surface with a universal test indicator, lock the vise, touch off, "0", and make the appropriate cuts.
Easy, peasy.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline barrybasinger

• Everything in here ain't gospel--or is it?
    • Harley-Davidson Power: Fundamentals for the Aspiring Do-It-Yourselfer
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 07:42:09 AM »
At least count  i had near .075 off mine plus some of bottom of jugs.
No problems .
That's good, but lest the OP think that's to be expected in all situations: Common problems (valve-to-piston or piston-to-head contact) are usually related to things like cam TDC specs and/or assembly and manufacturing tolerances. We recently repaired an Evo with a little over .086 off (total heads and jugs), and .030 gaskets, and saw evidence of slight contact at valve surface. (Very slight, fortunately. The owner was not even aware of it, it was so slight). Also, one time I lost a pin clip and had to replace the pistons on my 96" (82cc chambers, .030 gaskets, .059 (?; don't remember for sure) off jugs, zero deck double-checked & confirmed). Used same very well-respected manufacturer and part number, and they stuck out of the jugs just a little too much. (Double base gaskets made that okay. Yeah, I know, but it's worked fine for 3 years now).

Point of all this for those who are kinda new to this is--one-more-time--it's better to make conservative choices unless you have confirmed all the numbers and pretty much know what you're doing.

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
If a man is pulling the trigger in his garage at home, on a hot-rod upgrade, he needs to be fully aware of many aspects.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"