Author Topic: Is This True?  (Read 691 times)

Offline WhipLash96

• No Mobiling Like HarleyMobiling
Is This True?
« on: December 10, 2017, 06:31:04 PM »
Is it true that there is no more more room for larger slugs in the EVO?
Thanks,
Whip

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
Re: Is This True?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
Again you are back to the slippery slope.
Axtell will sell you 85-inch set for 900 bucks with options.
I will sell you a set with 15K on them for 600.
They are perfect in every way, plus cylinders are cast iron from Axtell.
A much more stable platform .
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »
So if needed will the stock HD cylinders accept a .030 overbore or anything above stock?
Thanks,
Whip

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:04:03 AM »
Wiseco offers a .040".
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline 92flhtcu

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:49:46 AM »
Stock EVO jugs can take over-bore, don't think I've ever heard someone say they can't
Need a bigger garage

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:26:06 AM »
Is it true that there is no more more room for larger slugs in the EVO?

What do you mean? A stock bolt pattern evo engine case will accept up to 3-13/16" bore cylinders.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline Scott P

• www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »
Ed is correct.
Axtell 3 13/16" cylinders.
97" over an OEM 4 1/4" crank, and with a 4 5/8" arm, 106" is the number there.
Building 1 of each, currently.
Pull up next to a guy with the latest/greatest 107" EFI T/C, with a well-built carbed, 106" in say an FXR, and put him in the rear view mirror.....quick....lol.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline Mark222

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
Not to hi-jack, but curious.....

At what point do you need to bore the cases instead of just bolting on new Cylinders?

Either I used to know and forgot, or was not given good info back in the day.

But I thought you were limited to what you could accomplish with EOM jugs and a simple bore to achieve increase in CU?

Mark

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
.040 over stock is fine in stock Evo cylinders. S&S had 3.625 piston/cylinder kits that required case boring and made a great set up on a stock stroke Evo with factory cases and then as mentioned above you could bore cases all the way for a 3.8125 piston/cylinder kit but certain year factory cases were a little weak at this extreme.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Offline Mark222

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »
.040 over stock is fine in stock Evo cylinders. S&S had 3.625 piston/cylinder kits that required case boring and made a great set up on a stock stroke Evo with factory cases and then as mentioned above you could bore cases all the way for a 3.8125 piston/cylinder kit but certain year factory cases were a little weak at this extreme.

Thanks, that is what I recall....  funny what we can forget as time moves on.  Good thing I'm not getting any older    :hyst:

Mark

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »

This is what I was looking for. Thank you!
Thanks,
Whip

Offline Scott P

• www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 04:08:21 AM »
Not to hi-jack, but curious.....

At what point do you need to bore the cases instead of just bolting on new Cylinders?

Either I used to know and forgot, or was not given good info back in the day.

But I thought you were limited to what you could accomplish with EOM jugs and a simple bore to achieve increase in CU?

Mark

First hand live, day to day machining experience, not something I read, watched, or was told, is that anything over the OE cylinder spigot diameter, requires case boring.
3 5/8" is kind of a waste to bring it to 88", when you can bore the cases to 4.010" and install a set of 3 13/16" cylinders, building a 97".
1992, 93, and 94 year engine cases on many occasions, are traditionally/historically known to have issues, albeit boring to accept a large bore cylinder, or even a strong 80" engine, can cause the 90* machined corner in back of the rear tappet block to fracture, and migrate up into the rear cylinder case deck, resulting in case replacement, as welding is not a good option whatsoever.
The late model Evo cases, or the HD replacement cases are very strong, but still not as tough as the 356-T6 aluminum alloy, which is used by S&S, Delkron. :)

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »

Your welcome.

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »

Your welcome.

a lot of times I think people get so caught up in trying to experess how smart they are that they forget to actually answer the question. :banghead:
Thanks,
Whip

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »

Your welcome.

a lot of times I think people get so caught up in trying to experess how smart they are that they forget to actually answer the question. :banghead:

Never use a sentence when a paragraph will fit in the reply box :wink: