Author Topic: switches  (Read 567 times)

Offline david lee

switches
« on: December 24, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
not being familar with evos do the blinker switches all have on-off position. if not what models do.instead of the hold on button shovel set up.also what price would i be looking at .thank you

Offline Evo160K

Re: switches
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
david lee,

Some early model evos and some police evos had push-on/push-off turn signal switches.  I put a pair on my '90 softail.  They're obsolete, but you might be able to track down a pair.  If you try the aftermarket companies which I believe carry them, be sure they understand you're wanting evo switches with the "detent" feature...pushon/pushoff

You might also try a search on htt for evo turn signal switches.

Offline david lee

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »
david lee,

Some early model evos and some police evos had push-on/push-off turn signal switches.  I put a pair on my '90 softail.  They're obsolete, but you might be able to track down a pair.  If you try the aftermarket companies which I believe carry them, be sure they understand you're wanting evo switches with the "detent" feature...pushon/pushoff

You might also try a search on htt for evo turn signal switches.
what made you swap.my shovel has tiny little buttons but the evos have bigger square ones which to me is easier to operate. thank you

Offline Evo160K

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 10:24:19 PM »
david lee,

You're welcome.  Broke my wrist and couldn't steer, throttle, brake and hold in the ts button at the same time any longer after it healed.

Offline Breeze

• middle Georgia '68 Shovel,'92 Dyna, '07 E.Glide
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:30:49 AM »
Previous to '91, button had to be held in. 1991 the signals stayed on for a certain time or distance after pushing the button. There are aftermarket companies (Badlands?) that used to make a module that will keep flashers going for a while. Maybe Dennis Kirk or J&P still have one on the shelf?
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Offline david lee

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »
Previous to '91, button had to be held in. 1991 the signals stayed on for a certain time or distance after pushing the button. There are aftermarket companies (Badlands?) that used to make a module that will keep flashers going for a while. Maybe Dennis Kirk or J&P still have one on the shelf?
thanks

Offline still_havinfun

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 02:49:41 PM »
my 1989 flhtcu has automatic turn signals and operate the same as my 06 flhtcui

Offline gryphon

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
I have been running Badlands modules for years and have never had a problem with them. Not once, not ever. Based on my own personal experience I can highly recommend them.

Offline david lee

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »
I have been running Badlands modules for years and have never had a problem with them. Not once, not ever. Based on my own personal experience I can highly recommend them.
thanks do you know of a site where i could look them up.my only problem is those buttons that have to be held on

Online Burnout

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 06:47:38 AM »
The site is google and the search terms are badlands turn signal module.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline gryphon

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 09:58:34 AM »
Right now I'm running their module that also allows the rear turn signals to work as brake lights. When you hit the turn button it turns on the blinker for 10 seconds. If you hit the button a second time while it's still flashing it turns off the blinker. If you push the left and right buttons at the same time it turns on the emergency flashers.

Offline Evo160K

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
david lee,

Another reason I made the swap to push-on/push-off buttons is because I didn't want the turn signals controlled by a timer, and I wanted to be sure the cars knew my intentions at all times..  With push-on/push-off I know for sure if the turn signals are or are not flashing without taking my eyes off of the road.  No uncertainty about it.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
That can be an issue sometimes. My front blinkers are mounted below my spots and I can't see them in the daytime so, sometimes you're not entirely certain if they've timed out. It was never a really big deal but it could be an annoyance. After a few years of running like that I finally decided last year to do something to make it a little easier. The module I'm running has two wires for signal indicators. I twisted them together and ran them to a small  indicator light that I mounted on my headlight cowling behind the forks. Now when the blinkers are on I can see that little light blinking even in bright sun. The wires I twisted together were supposed to indicate left or right so the light doesn't tell you which one is on but truthfully you really should know which way you're turning. I added a small pic showing my indicator light since I butchered my description. One really nice thing about a timer is that I don't end up driving for miles with the blinker on pissing everyone else off and looking like a dumbass.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:52:06 AM by gryphon »

Offline Evo160K

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
One really nice thing about a timer is that I don't end up driving for miles with the blinker on pissing everyone else off and looking like a dumbass.

Yes, in full disclosure it happened on occasion.  I eliminated that possibility by putting a 555 timer IC between the turn signals and the horn/burglar alarm, so the horn/alarm momentarily beeps to alert me after the turn signals are on for 60 seconds and again every 30 seconds thereafter.  It works really well.

Offline david lee

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 11:41:55 PM »
david lee,

Another reason I made the swap to push-on/push-off buttons is because I didn't want the turn signals controlled by a timer, and I wanted to be sure the cars knew my intentions at all times..  With push-on/push-off I know for sure if the turn signals are or are not flashing without taking my eyes off of the road.  No uncertainty about it.
yes id want to know when there on and when there not

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 08:34:27 AM »
Around here, I think once someone turns 70 years old, they are required to bring their car in and have the left turn signal spot welded so it is always on.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline tomfiii

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
My '86 and I think one other year had the mechanically held on buttons.

Offline ScottFree

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
My 1986 Sportster 883 came with push-on/push-off turn signal switches. It also had a single yellow "turn" indicator light on the dash, and if you were a bit inattentive (forgetting to turn one blinker off, then turning the other one on) you could reach a situation where you'd push the left button and the right blinker would come on (and vice-versa). I think that's why they discontinued them in '87. For a time there were also police switches that were actually rocker-style; I retrofitted a set of those to my first FXRT. By 1990 (the next new bike I bought after the '86), the self-canceling module was standard, at least on the touring bikes.