Author Topic: clutch  (Read 765 times)

Offline david lee

clutch
« on: December 27, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
im also in the market to fit a hydro clutch instead of cable is there a site i can look up for a conversion and price or one who would have a used one for sale thanks all

Offline gryphon

Re: clutch
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
It's been a while since I converted so please excuse me if I leave anything out. I installed an OEM hydraulic kicker cover (I know, it's probably not called that anymore) and master cyl. It required changing out the adjuster on the clutch for an OEM bearing a retainer. I don't remember if I had to swap out the pushrod or not but I think so. This link should show everything you'll need but is for aftermarket. It looks very similar to the OEM equipment.

https://goo.gl/nGCh3Y

EDIT: Shorten the URL
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:52:02 PM by FSG »

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
Why? why hyd over cable?
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
Why? why hyd over cable?

Lighter lever pull, it is with HD master cyl., no maintenance, no cable breaking. 
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline david lee

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »
Why? why hyd over cable?

Lighter lever pull, it is with HD master cyl., no maintenance, no cable breaking.
a motorcyce mechanic mate has an old 1100 yamaha and the hydro clutch is a 2 finger operation.it looks like a easy conversion. thanks

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:18:37 PM »
they are BUT it's hard to beat a good cable, good ramps and being well adjusted

what box/side cover is in this thing, can you post a pic

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »
Ok
To each their own...
I like simple.
I will keep the cable.
In 50 years riding never had one break. (completely)
They do, but they usually tell a little secret B4 the disaster.
Some of the wire strands break ,you get a lot of free play and not enough throw.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 04:58:14 AM »
im also in the market to fit a hydro clutch instead of cable is there a site i can look up for a conversion and price or one who would have a used one for sale thanks all

Assuming you have an evo era bike, sourcing the hydraulic slave cylinder (on the end of the transmission) is pretty easy as their are many manufacturers offering them.  With the exception of the harley brand (stay away from) they all work about the same, the differences are really price and aesthetics. Baker sells a nice unit, so does Performance Machine and a few other companies. I am sure several members will chime in with what they have is for sure 'the best'.

The master cylinder portion this is more complex. If your bike has '96 and up hand controls, then any of the Harley hydraulic MCs for the clutch side will work. Ebay will have many for sale. Only differences with the '96 and up factory stuff is the exterior finish. If the bike has pre-'96 hand controls, this might be a good time to update them to the newer style. If you are intent on keeping the pre-'96 hand controls, there is/was and aftermarket unit that several companies were selling under thier own brand. Not sure if it is still available. There are also aftermarket billet units available, but again, this will require additional work to replace the entire hand control setup.

The hydraulic line and fittings can be sourced from any of the companies that sell 3AN fittings and line. I would buy the fittings first and then use some plastic hose to mock up the line as it would be run and then measure it before ordering. Pay attention to how the various hose manufacturers say to measure their lines. Some do it from end to end, others are flange to flange.

As for using a hydraulic clutch. Some will hard on about 'friction zones' and a myriad of other perceived issues and will even tell you that you dont know what you want, they know better, what they have is the best, etc. Best to learn to separate the signal from the noise. Best of luck with your project.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 07:02:43 AM »
Haven't tried enough of them to ever know what is the "best" one, and wouldn't begin to say what's best, only what works by experience. Many who have never owned anything newer than a Evo will trash talk 'em (they probably trash talked Evo's when they still owned Pans & Shovels :wink:) but after putting on 110,000 miles on HD hydraulic actuated clutch mechanisms I haven't had one problem.
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »
Haven't tried enough of them to ever know what is the "best" one, and wouldn't begin to say what's best, only what works by experience. Many who have never owned anything newer than a Evo will trash talk 'em (they probably trash talked Evo's when they still owned Pans & Shovels :wink:) but after putting on 110,000 miles on HD hydraulic actuated clutch mechanisms I haven't had one problem.

Same here. In fact, all three of my FXRs have hydraulic clutches on them. Unfortunately, there are too many posters that are simply regurgitating something they have read online with no real experience of their own. I especially like it when someone asked a question about A or B and they usual armchair commandos chime in with something completely different and never really answering the OPs question.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline david lee

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 01:51:15 PM »
the clutch is better than the shovel set up now ive just got to master my trike going around corners with direct chain drive. thanks all

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »
Is there some type of differential, or is it a solid axle?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline david lee

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 12:55:59 AM »
my uderstanding its servi car but will look further in to it

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »
      I would learn how to take pictures
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:09:11 PM by hbkeith »

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »

I've been waiting with baited breadth for pictures of this trike! I think it will help answer a lot of questions.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline david lee

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 05:01:42 AM »

I've been waiting with baited breadth for pictures of this trike! I think it will help answer a lot of questions.
just emailed a mate to come over to take some pics shouldnt be long. thanks

Offline david lee

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 11:56:39 PM »
is the slave cyclinder mounted in the outer case thank you

Assuming you have an evo era bike, sourcing the hydraulic slave cylinder (on the end of the transmission) is pretty easy as their are many manufacturers offering them.  With the exception of the harley brand (stay away from) they all work about the same, the differences are really price and aesthetics. Baker sells a nice unit, so does Performance Machine and a few other companies. I am sure several members will chime in with what they have is for sure 'the best'.

The master cylinder portion this is more complex. If your bike has '96 and up hand controls, then any of the Harley hydraulic MCs for the clutch side will work. Ebay will have many for sale. Only differences with the '96 and up factory stuff is the exterior finish. If the bike has pre-'96 hand controls, this might be a good time to update them to the newer style. If you are intent on keeping the pre-'96 hand controls, there is/was and aftermarket unit that several companies were selling under thier own brand. Not sure if it is still available. There are also aftermarket billet units available, but again, this will require additional work to replace the entire hand control setup.

The hydraulic line and fittings can be sourced from any of the companies that sell 3AN fittings and line. I would buy the fittings first and then use some plastic hose to mock up the line as it would be run and then measure it before ordering. Pay attention to how the various hose manufacturers say to measure their lines. Some do it from end to end, others are flange to flange.

As for using a hydraulic clutch. Some will hard on about 'friction zones' and a myriad of other perceived issues and will even tell you that you dont know what you want, they know better, what they have is the best, etc. Best to learn to separate the signal from the noise. Best of luck with your project.

Offline nibroc

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 12:50:22 PM »
WAITING PATIENTLY