Author Topic: engine mount  (Read 449 times)

Offline david lee

engine mount
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:09:16 PM »
just wondering if evo engines have spacers under the mounts as the bottom front bolt of the inner primary is missing due to the primary not lining up to the crankcase 100% and oil is seeping out.i can use a dremel to enlarge the primary to fit the bolt but is that recomended and would that stop the oil seepage.the primary looks flush up against the crankcase.also would that bid rubber o ring need replacing. thanks all

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
Re: engine mount
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:33:31 AM »
Hi
I need a much better description of your problem(s)  to offer a guess.
Are you saying the primary is touching the frame?
 Need more info
year?
Rubber glide?

D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline david lee

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:38:33 AM »
Hi
I need a much better description of your problem(s)  to offer a guess.
Are you saying the primary is touching the frame?
 Need more info
year?
Rubber glide?
year is unknown and plenty clearence to the trike frame not rubber mounted thanks

Offline Deye76

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 06:34:00 AM »
Don't dremel anything. You have a alignment problem, or frame problem. Looks like a softail conversion and who knows what they did.
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:21:27 AM »
I for my part need a much better mental picture of what is going on there.
If supported in the front and in the rear as what is "Normal" then like said it is so bad, alignment this is your problem.

Try to move your engine in the frame with a stick, perhaps with a crowbar and a piece of wood for a cushion.
Use your head don't break anything.
I am pretty sure if you pry it up at the rear you will see the problem.
The bushing is probably gone, a long  time ago
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline Breeze

• middle Georgia '68 Shovel,'92 Dyna, '07 E.Glide
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
For those thinking about solutions on this post, from reading previous posts about this trike, it seems to be a homebuilt item, with pieces from here and there.  I have a "long" primary on my Shovelhead. The inner and outer primary cases are very close, but one (or more) holes do not align. I guess not all "long" primary cases were created equal.
David Lee; maybe it would help if you created some kind of profile, or mention of this unique build, so people don't offer solutions for stock builds?  Just trying to help you get good help. :up:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »
Keep in mind that inner or outer primary parts can also be aftermarket, which don't always line up as they should. Since this is a custom as best as can be determined, it no doubt will take some engineering to make things work as desired.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Thermodyne

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
If that's a Softail style frame, then the alignment of the motor and trans is usually corrected by shimming the trans mount. 

Offline friday

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »
is it possible the torque from the motor transferred to the rear wheels being large foot print is transferred back to the motor mounts?

the Servicar was a flat 750 so a no comparison to an Evo

Im guessing the trans sprocket is small in order to get torque ...... judging by the pic ;0i

the frame has got the authentic curves behind the trans .

interesting bike , certainly got better looks than Tri glide ...... is it possibly Tri glide diff ?

its sunday , we should actually be laying bets

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 11:34:22 AM »
Here's a bigger pic

Online fbn ent

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 11:57:14 AM »
Solid engine/trans mounting...Tighten rear motor mount bolts first, then check for needed shims in the front mount. Tighten engine down after correct shims are installed. Loosely install the transmission. Install inner primary to engine. Check fitment and square of trans to inner primary and shim if necessary. That should do it.....Can't see the primary fit so..... :nix:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"
Hinton, Alberta

Online Burnout

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
I have on more than one bike had to shim the motor and trans to get things in alignment.

On my trike both the motor and the trans plate have shims under them to square them up.

No more broken or leaky primary's.

Often frames that have been modified are not square and may have had other problems.
Guys are more likely to cut up a bent frame than a straight one....

First thing to look for upon disassembly is if the flange on the motor that holds the oring is intact.
They are often cracked or even broken off in places due to incorrect motor alignment.
Then make sure the inner primary cover is flat.
Also check that the inner primary fits nice and flat on both the motor and the trans separately.
It is critical that you not use the mounting bolts to pull the cover into position.

The inner primary must fit flush and square BY HAND or there will eventually be trouble.
Shim the motor mounts and the trans plate to the frame (do not shim between the trans plate and the trans).
Brass shim stock is available in many thicknesses, washers can be used under the trans mounting plate if needed [shudder].
Make sure neither the motor or the trans rocks on the frame, all 4 points must sit flush. (do not pull them down with the mounting bolts).
Remember to shim the 5th bolt on the trans if yours has it. Use thick hardened washers on all slots (#8)
I also use thick hardened washers on the motor mount bolts against the aluminum.
Motor mount bolt holes may need to be reamed if they are crushed at the top by soft or no washers and overtightened.
After shimming, (leave the motor Oring off) tighten the inner primary down to the trans and motor first, THEN tighten the motor and trans mounting bolts.
You will not be able to reach all the motor mount bolts with the inner attached, tighten the ones you can reach, then get the one you can't when you remove the primary.
Then remove inner primary, tighten that last motor mount bolt, and check that the inner slips back on BY HAND and sits flat.
Make any needed adjustments to the shims and repeat this procedure until the inner primary cover fits flat BY HAND.
This takes time and may need to be repeated until it gets right.

NOTE: there are 2 primary to motor Orings a thick and a thin, do not try to use the wrong Oring.
It will either leak or you will break the inner cover trying to squish an oring that is too thick.
DO NOT trust the parts guy to give you the right Oring (buy them both)

NOTE: Aftermarket primary covers are crazy all over the place (Both inner and outer)(especially 4 speed covers).
The covers are made to fit as many models as possible with one cover, and may not fit your model perfectly.
Motor oring size may not be what is called for by the parts book so be careful.

NOTE: Do not over tighten the (4) 5/16" bolts that attach the inner primary to the motor.
Also be very careful to start them correctly as the bolt holes may be mis-aligned due to A/M cover or incorrect shimming.
If the threads in any of these holes is in question helicoil them now.
Do not use locktite on these bolts, drill them for tie wire if you don't use lock tabs on them. (I prefer tie wire)(the 2 outer bolts as well)

Do post a decent picture or 3 of your trike, that little picture cannot be enlarged and doesn't show much.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Online fbn ent

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 12:00:46 PM »
Used to cut shims from aluminum cans  ... :beer:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"
Hinton, Alberta

Online Burnout

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
Pics tell a story!

STOP!

Need more pics.

My poorly calibrated eyeball thinks that might be a short primary.
Is there a real seat post between the motor and trans? (With rear motor mount on it?)
Or is the back of the motor mounted to the front of the trans?

I ask because once upon a time, some asshole hard tailed a rubber mount!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:11:41 PM by Burnout »
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline Deye76

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
It's not a short primary. Looks like a early Evo 4 spd. primary.
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 03:17:13 AM »
Pics tell a story!

STOP!

Need more pics
               :up:  upclose pics of all areas he is asking about

Offline david lee

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »
It's not a short primary. Looks like a early Evo 4 spd. primary.
it is.the primary hole is only out of alignment a fraction.if i dremel the primary the bolt would go in but is that the way to go.it also seems to sit flush against the crankcase.a mate seems to think once a o ring leaks it needs replacing. im hopeing whoever built this trike has actually put the o ring on. i just dont like oil leaks. thanks all

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
My preferred approach would be to loosen everything up and see if I could get it all to line up properly.
You have a bit of a Frankenstein machine there, and it may take some investigation to get it all sorted out.
Do you have a good shop locally that could help you with figuring everything out?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline david lee

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 03:47:01 AM »
My preferred approach would be to loosen everything up and see if I could get it all to line up properly.
You have a bit of a Frankenstein machine there, and it may take some investigation to get it all sorted out.
Do you have a good shop locally that could help you with figuring everything out?
yes i do.a hd mec ive been going to for 33 yrs,hes on holidays till 22nd.if he says dremel the primary i can do that but if that dosent fix the oil seep that means off with outer and inner primary and a job for him for a proper fix. thanks hoss