Author Topic: Wonít stay in 1st gear to start  (Read 211 times)

Offline 97dyna

Wonít stay in 1st gear to start
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
and after that, 2nd doesnít engage initially engage (seems to slip). I always warm the engine temp up before riding.  The problem is more prevalent on cold days.  After just a few miles, there are no problems shifting.  Iím changing primary and tranny fluid today.  Anything I should look for while Iím at it?
1997 FXDL
Barnett clutch with extra friction plate
Currently has HD primary and HD tranny oil

Offline rigidthumper

• Site Supporter
Re: Wonít stay in 1st gear to start
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »
Very little engine heat makes it into the trany/primary during cold idle, so in the first 15 minutes or so it may just be cold fluid causing drag.
I'd check trip pawl centering (put the bike in 3rd gear, verify/adjust the shift lever travel so the relaxed position to the begining of pressure position is equal front to rear.  Push forward until you feel it make contact, then let go, then push rearward until it makes contact, then let go. The distance forward should equal the distance rearward. If not, loosen the 11/16" nut and adjust the pawl screw until travel is the same front to rear, then lock the nut down. BTW, tightening the nut usually moves the adjuster slightly, so it may take a few tries to get it even.

Offline Thermodyne

• Site Supporter
Re: Wonít stay in 1st gear to start
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:11:28 AM »
That's the same fork for both gears, so there is the chance that something is wrong there. 

But lets assume that the trans is fine, since it works well after things warm up a little.  I would have a look at the clutch.  If there is to much power input, with the lever pulled, it may not be letting the gears fully engage at low or no road speed.

I see this a lot with heavy springs and extra plate clutch kits.  You can try maximizing the clutch release by reducing the amount of set back on the adjuster screw.  Just don't back it off until there is no free play.  And you can try a lighter fluid, like F type ATF.  Also have a look at the fluid level, with the scooter sitting level, not on the stand.  It should just be touching the bottom of the clutch spring.  Too much fluid will make it drag cold, and slip on hard shifts.