Author Topic: neutral light  (Read 348 times)

Offline david lee

neutral light
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
what would cause the neutral light to only work with the clutch engaged (lever pulled in)thanks to all.

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
Re: neutral light
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »
I would guess it is going to ground somewhere near the movement  of a lever, or shifter arm..
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 05:58:32 PM »
oopps, start over, I thought you posted in Shovel. I'd first see that it's not loose, and also check the connector. Not sure why the clutch being in or out would effect though.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »
Just throwing out ideas, grounding through the clutch cable?
Steve
www.Rockerlockers.com  Call for dealer discount

Offline david lee

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:52:47 AM »
oopps, start over, I thought you posted in Shovel. I'd first see that it's not loose, and also check the connector. Not sure why the clutch being in or out would effect though.
thats what i recon.i do post in shovel but this is on the trike i bought.i havent had a look yet but is the switch in the same spot as a shovel or elsewhere.from memory the shovel has 1 wire from the switch to the light would the evo be the same thank you

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:35:23 AM »
Same type of arrangement, rear of the transmission top cover.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Online hbkeith

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:28:27 AM »
There is not enough pics of this trike posted for anyone to know exactly what is what !!!!  What year and model part do you ask the parts guy for ?

Offline david lee

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:59:12 PM »
There is not enough pics of this trike posted for anyone to know exactly what is what !!!!  What year and model part do you ask the parts guy for ?
im confused to so is the previous owner. even he dosent know why its regod as 1967 model,it originally had a flathead then a pan motor. its now a 88cube revtec motor and evo 4 sp.and modified early ford diff which is not direct drive. the engine and frame numbers match the rego papers.i will be taking it to my hd mec to fix a primary oil leak maybe he can shed some light on it.thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:23:26 PM by david lee »

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
what would cause the neutral light to only work with the clutch engaged (lever pulled in)thanks to all.

Iirc the neutral switch and one other switch are different than normal on/off switches like lights, ignition and horn for instance.  I believe they need to be wired differently in some way, perhaps the power and ground wires are reversed.  Others should chime in here.

Offline fbn ent

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 07:03:11 AM »
So....you are saying the N lite comes on while in N ONLY when the clutch is pulled? Has it always been this way or did it just start? It could be as simple as the wrong switch. They used the same one forever and then changed them up toward the end one the evo era. I'm not sure if they are all fit the same but the length is probably different.

First, check for key on power to the switch. Then run a ground to the trans case. Works....bad grounding.

No Worky....something is moving in the transmission with clutch pulled to allow contact for the switch. That shouldn't happen.

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"
Hinton, Alberta

Offline david lee

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
So....you are saying the N lite comes on while in N ONLY when the clutch is pulled? Has it always been this way or did it just start? It could be as simple as the wrong switch. They used the same one forever and then changed them up toward the end one the evo era. I'm not sure if they are all fit the same but the length is probably different.

First, check for key on power to the switch. Then run a ground to the trans case. Works....bad grounding.
No Worky....something is moving in the transmission with clutch pulled to allow contact for the switch. That shouldn't happen.
thats correct at least ive found the switch but getting to it will be hard as the horseshoe oil tank is above it with not much room.i can feel it .looks like i will have to move the tank as a last resort. the wire felt conected but very loose with insulation tape around it.a torch is required to see in there.hopeing its an easy fix thank you
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:48:29 PM by david lee »