Author Topic: Head gasket question  (Read 1026 times)

Offline jamn

Head gasket question
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
If I pull the heads for a cleanup and .030 gasket change, should I replace the bottom cylinder o-rings as well?

Thanks

Offline les

Re: Head gasket question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »
If I pull the heads for a cleanup and .030 gasket change, should I replace the bottom cylinder o-rings as well?

Thanks

I never have when performing such a cleanup.  I've not had problems with leaking.  Also, if you pull the cylinders off the pistons, then having your rings seal back up without issues is nearly impossible.  This would cause you to have the cylinders de-glazed and new rings.

I would not mess with the o-rings at the bottom of the cylinders.

Offline jamn

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:35:21 AM »

Thanks

I never have when performing such a cleanup.  I've not had problems with leaking.  Also, if you pull the cylinders off the pistons, then having your rings seal back up without issues is nearly impossible.  This would cause you to have the cylinders de-glazed and new rings.

I would not mess with the o-rings at the bottom of the cylinders.

Great, thanks for the info

Offline les

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
You're welcome, and also try not to juggle around those cylinders too much if possible.  I know it's hard to break the seal on the stock head gaskets without jiggling the cylinders, but try to get a friend hold them down firm while you're doing it.  Use some plastic plumbing pieces under head bolts to hold the cylinders down (two diagonal each cylinder) if you'll be turning over the headless engine.

Bottom line:  You don't have to touch the base o-rings, but also don't go poking the bear in the nose.

Offline jamn

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
Use some plastic plumbing pieces under head bolts to hold the cylinders down (two diagonal each cylinder) if you'll be turning over the headless engine.

Bottom line:  You don't have to touch the base o-rings, but also don't go poking the bear in the nose.

Good idea.

Online Billy

• Virginia Beach
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
I always replace base the o-rings, my thought goes back to the EVO with paper base gaskets, they would often leak with low mileage, I would remove the cyls, replace the gaskets and reassemble, never an issue with the rings sealing back up. I carried over my process to the Twin Cam without issue, a plus is you can inspect the rings and replace if necessary.

Les, with your insight, I may change my ways.  :beer:

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Offline jsachs1

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »
I always replace base the o-rings, my thought goes back to the EVO with paper base gaskets, they would often leak with low mileage, I would remove the cyls, replace the gaskets and reassemble, never an issue with the rings sealing back up. I carried over my process to the Twin Cam without issue, a plus is you can inspect the rings and replace if necessary.

I always replace base seals, gaskets, etc. whenever I remove the heads.
Complete nonsense that rings won't reseal when cylinders are removed, and reinstalled.  :dgust:
John

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »

Complete nonsense that rings won't reseal when cylinders are removed, and reinstalled.  :dgust:
John
I remember reading a post a while back that several mentioned they had not problems with the rings seating after pulling to replace the base gasket , Never had any experience in doing that

Offline HHFLSTN

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »
You could always leave the pistons in the cylinders and pull them together. I would replace the o-rings.

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 06:06:39 PM »
It depends on how old the o-rings are, I have pulled heads several times left the old o-rings in with no problems.
On a stock build if you pull the cyclinder you are going to find the rings at the max tolerance gap+ so expect new rings.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »

John
Just pull them and replace the seals right back on, no honing!

Offline HintonTM

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
Depends on years and or run time... if you get a upper engine gasket kit you can add those o rings for dollars on the penny. As a tech I would ALLWAYS recommend to do it all, an extra 20 min for me can save you hundreds. Now if you just doing in you garage and you donít have the oil ring compression tool getting the pistons back on the cylinders can be ... challenging ... and make sure you never line up the holes on the oil rings.. over all Iíd do it.. but Iíve done quite a few. But it not REQUIRED
Certified HD Mechanic

Online Clayton24

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
 I just did heads and thinner mls head gaskets bike has 10,000 miles i only replaced the o-ring around the dowels not the actual base orings no issue but i do think you could pull cyl an pistons an reassemble without honing etc ! Jus try to not turn the rings to a diffrent pos on the pistons .

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »
I've done it both ways - never a problem on TC with o-ring leakage but I'm careful not to disturb the cylinder seal to the case.

Like Billy said, EVO's are another story

I'm kind of a flat rate guy so I'm not interested in pulling the cylinders unless parts are being changed...sounds too much like extra work that the customer may not want to pay for and that I'm not interested in doing for free. It's all in how you sell the job I guess.

I left them alone on my personal bike.

It's a bit of a gamble I'll admit, but a pretty safe one.
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »

John
Just pull them and replace the seals right back on, no honing!

Agree, rings move around in the cylinder anyway.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Online Clayton24

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
Thats a learning lesson for me ohio hd i wasnt aware that the rings move ! Thanks

Offline jamn

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:23 AM »
Wow. Lots of different options here. What to do.  :emoGroan:

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »
It's like this, if you don't replace the base o-ring, and there is not a leak later, it's all good. If it does leak, you do it again.

It's really only about time. There's a good chance it won't leak, but guys that have said they do it, some are shop owners, and they want a good reputation and a happy customer. I look at it like this, with the heads off, you're 30 minutes or less replacing both o-rings, and the oil return o-rings, so why not?
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 08:42:28 AM »
1/2 hour now, 8 hours later? :banghead:

Low miles, fairly current year I probably would chance it. Ten year old bike, or a bunch of miles I would pull the cylinders. I would probably hone and drop in a set of rings too as long as the cylinders measured good, on a higher mile engine.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
Thats a learning lesson for me ohio hd i wasnt aware that the rings move ! Thanks

Here you go. This is what happened to me. Shortly after this discussion it happened to another well known member here. This may have corrected itself over time but finding it while tuning we ended up trouble shooting it and this is what we found. There is the evidence they rotate. I know and have a clear recollection where those rings were initially indexed. The ones that stalled in the lined up position could be related to the shape of the cylinder (that wasn't perfect but was well within spec). The other cylinder was OK but the rings were no longer where they started out.

http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=97768.msg1164570#msg1164570
KD

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »
I seriously doubt his bike is ten year old and high mileage. He's changing head gaskets to get more compression. And more HD cylinders get fubarred by a ball hone than if left alone. And if you use a conventional hone, you better have torque plates.
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
Ohio, my example was just intended to support the statements made about ring rotation as a real life example and not as a recommendation to ball hone or otherwise. We did the ball hone because we had rings, torque plates and the cylinder dimensions before it was run. It was a light touch to help a new set of rings and nothing more.
KD

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
Sorry, it wasn't in response to you're post, look above yours.
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
That's fine Ohio.  :up: My response was mostly for the benefit of the OP. It was to show real evidence of ring rotation and I was putting the post together before your contribution popped up. The circumstance of having a blueprint of the barrels, the parts and equipment availability, and the fact the engine was only a few hours old were the deciding factors in my case. I otherwise would have no problem reassembling with the present ring set and have done it in the past with several types of engines. . 
KD

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »
   Reply #6 does it for a living

Offline jamn

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »
   Reply #6 does it for a living

Thank you. I have the o-rings. I got them with the top end gasket kit. And I don't have a problem replacing them, I just didn't know if it was necessary because I couldn't find any information on the subject. Now there's plenty.  :up:

Offline jsachs1

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »
It's like this, if you don't replace the base o-ring, and there is not a leak later, it's all good. If it does leak, you do it again.

It's really only about time. There's a good chance it won't leak, but guys that have said they do it, some are shop owners, and they want a good reputation and a happy customer. I look at it like this, with the heads off, you're 30 minutes or less replacing both o-rings, and the oil return o-rings, so why not?
As busy as I stay, I wouldn't consider NOT changing the gaskets, seals, etc. under the cylinders. One leak because you didn't do that not only will cost you time, but most of your top end gaskets as well.
FYI, rings rotate. It's the cross hatch that controls that.
Usually the bottom of the second ring will tell you what condition the rings are in. Removing and installing the cylinders will NOT affect the seal that you had, unless you screw it up by poor installation. Don't hone the cylinders if you remove them and are going back with the original pistons. You're sure to add clearance.
John
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:26:41 PM by jsachs1 »

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 05:27:12 PM »

As busy as I stay, I wouldn't consider NOT changing the gaskets, seals, etc. under the cylinders. One leak because you didn't do that not only will cost you time, but most of your top end gaskets as well.
Usually the bottom of the second ring will tell you what condition the rings are in. Removing and installing the cylinders will NOT affect the seal that you had, unless you screw it up by poor installation.
John

:up:   I agree with you John. Even on my own stuff, I really don't have time, or want to do things twice. If anything, I'm overly complete doing things.

When you say the bottom of the 2nd ring, what are you looking for? The lower edge of that ring being dull or rounded?
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline jsachs1

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 05:36:42 PM »

Usually the bottom of the second ring will tell you what condition the rings are in. Removing and installing the cylinders will NOT affect the seal that you had, unless you screw it up by poor installation.
John

:up:   I agree with you John. Even on my own stuff, I really don't have time, or want to do things twice. If anything, I'm overly complete doing things.

When you say the bottom of the 2nd ring, what are you looking for? The lower edge of that ring being dull or rounded?
I like to see a fine shiny line, not more than .020" - '030" at the very bottom of the 2nd ring. If the ring is shiny across the whole face, then it's time to replace the whole set, after checking the piston to bore size. 9 out 10 times, you'll go to the next oversize piston and bore. :cry:
John

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »

John

I like to see a fine shiny line, not more than .020" - '030" at the very bottom of the 2nd ring. If the ring is shiny across the whole face, then it's time to replace the whole set, after checking the piston to bore size. 9 out 10 times, you'll go to the next oversize piston and bore. :cry:
John

Ok, that's great info John. I've seen what you mention when taking a motor down, where only the lower area of the ring face is shinny.
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »
"I like to see a fine shiny line, not more than .020" - '030" at the very bottom of the 2nd ring. If the ring is shiny across the whole face, then it's time to replace the whole set, after checking the piston to bore size. 9 out 10 times, you'll go to the next oversize piston and bore." :cry:
John

thanks John, that's a great tip  :up: :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline les

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2018, 07:41:22 PM »
It's interesting that this thread is saying that the situation of seating piston rings has been a myth.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »
Seating is not a great term for describing ring break in. The rings wear to the cylinder surface (marginally) and the softer ring land machined surface likewise forms to the harder ring top and bottom to seal better. Once these surfaces are mated and sealing they are good until excessively worn and the ring gap widening weakens the contact with the cylinder walls.
KD

Offline les

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 07:07:39 AM »
Others have more experience, but I have only one first hand experience with someone I know who pulled the jugs off and put them back without de-glazing and new rings.  He never got the rings to seal properly again and ended up taking it apart, honing, and new rings to get his engine back.  So, since this is the only situation like this I've seen, I don't pull the jugs unless I'm prepared to refresh the ring/cylinder interface.

Offline Ironheadmike

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 09:58:28 AM »
If the cylinder moves at all while you are taking off the head replace to base baskets . You've broke the seal .

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »
The risks are there for sure.
KD

Offline jsachs1

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 03:17:30 PM »
If the cylinder moves at all while you are taking off the head replace to base baskets . You've broke the seal .
Correct, you will have a tough time making the base gaskets seal again. My point, why gamble.
Just to be clear, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but you WILL NOT affect the piston ring to cylinder sealing by removing the cylinder, and re=installing. For that matter, you can remove the rings from the piston, keep them in the order of removal, re-install, and you won't have a problem with that either. :wink:
John
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:31:25 PM by jsachs1 »

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
Correct, you will have a tough time making the base gaskets seal again. My point, why gamble.
Just to be clear, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but you WILL NOT affect the piston ring to cylinder sealing by removing the cylinder, and re=installing. For that matter, you can remove the rings from the piston, keep them in the order of removal, re-install, and you won't have a problem with that either. :wink:
John
John, does that go for Twin cams with the o-ring in rebate?
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline jsachs1

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
John
No gamble here. I replace everything between the bottom of the cylinder to the top of the case, if I have the heads off no matter which engine I work on. Cheap insurance.
John

Offline jamn

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 06:15:30 PM »
John
No gamble here. I replace everything between the bottom of the cylinder to the top of the case, if I have the heads off no matter which engine I work on. Cheap insurance.
John

Worked beautifully. Thanks :up:

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:37 PM »
 :up: good deal...how's she run?  :pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline N-gin

• Site Supporter
  • \,,/ (>.<) \,,/ Brraaaaap!
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2018, 12:27:52 AM »
So there are universal O-ring kits. that I have used, however not on overheating vibrators, but they do work..
Just cut and superglue. works in the Heavy equipment industry.

:fish:
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Offline Thermodyne

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2018, 08:24:20 AM »
How many miles are on the motor?

If its 40K ish or more, then not putting rings in while that far in doesn't make any sense.

If you decide to not replace the rings, and just scrape the carbon, then get a set of service nuts.  That way you can keep the jugs bolted in place as you scrap on the pistons.  They are like little head nuts with an extended sleeve to reach the threads down in the jug holes.  You can do it with the head nuts and spacers, but they tend to get in the way, standing up off the jug several inches.

Offline jamn

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »
:up: good deal...how's she run?  :pop:

Sounds very nice in the garage, but the weather isn't good enough to get it out yet. The whole job went very well though. Rather easy actually. I removed the wrist pin to make the install easier, but I did pull the piston out to inspect everything. As far as I'm concerned, it all looked good.

35,000 miles on the motor..