Author Topic: Oil Bud Oil Cooler  (Read 1126 times)

Offline mrmike

• Site Supporter
  • Chronic Underachiever
Oil Bud Oil Cooler
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »
I know this has come up a few times on this site but I'm looking for the opinions of the guys here that are running Oil Buds. I presently am running a Jagg 10 row in front of the regulator along with a set of Wards fans on the heads.

I figure the Oil Bud is a lot more durable then the Jagg and I've already holed my first cooler some years ago on the highway. Also as a plus the Oil Bud will be out of sight.

My main questions are does this cooler block access to anything, particularly the drain plug at the bottom of the case and is there an issue with dirt, debris collecting on top of it between the motor/trans and the cooler, also is there enough access to clean that area?

I'm not too much worried about the cooling aspect because I'm sure it will do much better than the Jagg just because of size alone.

It's a pricey little bugger but most things worthwhile are, still it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks, Mike

I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Offline topcat3815

• Site Supporter
Re: Oil Bud Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »
I have had one on my 14 limited for two years now, no problems it doesnt block any drain plugs. I have had no buildup on top of it. Best cooler Ive ever used.

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
I bet it does work really well. I'm just leery of where it is, worried something flips up off the front tire and causes a leak. Then I get oil on the back tire.    :dgust:

I know it's not real likely to happen, but I do overthink everything. 

For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Davedeluxe

• Site Supporter
  • Running on empty.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
I've had one on my 124" Deluxe for close to 30k miles. Absolutely no problem and drops oil temps an easy 20 degrees. Hasn't leaked a drop.
2008 FLSTN w/124". 2016 FLHTCU w/127". Both by Razorback Performance

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »
I bet it does work really well. I'm just leery of where it is, worried something flips up off the front tire and causes a leak. Then I get oil on the back tire.    :dgust:

I know it's not real likely to happen, but I do overthink everything. 

In their testing / advertising they shoot it with a shotgun.  :dgust:  That's a pretty heavy workout.
KD

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 06:38:25 PM »
Now if you run over a guy that's packing a shotgun, & your worried that he may shoot a hole in your oil cooler...YOU AIN'T RIDING FAST ENOUGH! :hyst:

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 05:03:28 AM »
Heard a lot about these coolers. Nothing but good reports. If I had the $$ I would get one for the S. FL heat.

Koko, I have Wiley X riding glasses.  I told my kid they are ballistic and would withstand a shotgun blast.  He says if somebody shoots you in the face with a shotgun while you are riding I don't think you will be needing your eyes.  !!!   

I had to explain its more about that kicked up stone or piece of debris.  If you can't see you will crash.  He says....oooooohhh.  Bright kid, he must take after his mother. :nix:
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Offline jmorton10

• support your local HAMC
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 01:45:48 AM »
I have one on my 07 RK with 124" S&S motor & have nothing but good things to say about it.

They work very very well & are indescrutable.

https://www.harleyoilcoolers.com/

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Offline Templar2

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:40 AM »
Mine has been on for over a year now without any issues, works well and the oil temps are lowered in the 20-30 degree range.  I put my bike on a J&S lift every time it is garaged (two cars, small garage) and it has no impact on doing that.  Oil changes are easier since the adapter puts the oil filter higher on the block and you can easily get a drip pan under it.  Cost?  A bit high, but this this is aircraft quality and is just built way better than most performance add on's you will see on bikes today! :up:

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:37:15 AM »
Hereís a caution about raised adapters.  Check your front header pipe for clearance to th 18 mm O2 sensor fitting if you have one. Iíve had even the stock adapter interfere with installation of a sensor for tuning.
KD

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:03:15 AM »
As far as I am concerned there are only two oil cooler that really do enough to make a difference. One is the oil bud and the other is the moore sensible products.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Offline Davedeluxe

• Site Supporter
  • Running on empty.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »
As far as I am concerned there are only two oil cooler that really do enough to make a difference. One is the oil bud and the other is the moore sensible products.

Coincidentally, I have them both. (as you know) :bike:
2008 FLSTN w/124". 2016 FLHTCU w/127". Both by Razorback Performance

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »
BVHOG, I have one of Moore's remote oil filter kits on my Shovelhead. Its a very well made item, nice guy too.  I like his Softail remote oil filter kit. I'm always thinking of ways to keep my oil temps down especially down in S. FL.   
John

Offline FurryOne

• Site Supporter
    • Erie Canal HOG Chapter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »

I've had a Jagg cooler on my Breakout for a couple of years now, and it does such a good job that I have to cover it in the Winter or it keeps my oil temp too cool.  So yeah, Jagg work fine.  If you're in a parade, or stopped at one of those "three cycles to get through it" traffic lights no oil cooler is going to do a whole hell of a lot if it doesn't have a fan - and that includes the Oil Bud, MSP, or Jagg. I have a fan on mine with a "parade" switch. That works!

Offline mrmike

• Site Supporter
  • Chronic Underachiever
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
And there in lies the rub for me, I like the Oil Bud, a lot but the reason I'm looking for a cooler is for those times that I'm sitting in traffic, I have the Wards fans and they are a great asset in traffic but I'm looking for more, splitting lanes here in Jersey is illegal and with the ignorant knuckleheads we have on the roads it can be damn risky as well though at times I've done it.

Especially if I'm in NYC but the rule there is there are no rules,lol.

My oil and engine temps run fine riding it's the times I get stuck sitting, which are getting more and more frequent that are where i'm looking for relief.

An oil cooler like the Oil Bud or even the Jagg 10 row I'm presently running will lose most of their efficiency once I stop moving, they still cool but not as much and that's when I need it most.

So it looks like I may have to go the route of fan driven oil cooler, I'm currently looking at the Jagg and the Ultra-Cool units, I really want the Oil Bud but the minute I get stuck in traffic again I know I'm going to regret having it.

As a side note the Jagg is more like the radiator in your car where as the Ultracool is supposed to be a heat exchanger so it's fin design looks more open and durable, it also comes with two fans. Both are American made so that's a big plus for me. Though neither are very hidden, like the Oil Bud.

When I originally posted I wasn't thinking about the fan driven units, they had slipped my mind, a PM from KEM put me back on track.  :up: :up:.

FurryOne try an inline T-stat for your cooler and you can lose your cooler cover.

Mike

Online boooby1744

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:41 PM »
Already have a cooler, how about a Baker +1
oil pan

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 04:46:45 AM »
mrmike, tell me about the horrors of NYC traffic.  I installed Wards fans (when Ward was making them, poor guy got squashed by the BIG name) and for hot bumper to bumper traffic when splitting lanes is impossible because of construction etc, (NYC is always fixing something but the roads are still like riding thru the Baja) Wards fans are the fix.  Down here in S. FL the summers are oppressive but I have never had so much as a ping.  I highly recommend them, although I think now you have to get them from Love Juggs.  These are the smaller fans that are placed directly in front of the spark plug therefore cooling the heat at its source.
They are almost invisible to the eye and the only reason people notice them is because they are thermostat controlled and when the bikes are all shut down you can hear the fans whirring.  That makes people say, hey, whats that noise?  They come over and look.

I was at a gas station waiting near the carwash for a buddy to top off and a car wash attendant came over to me (my bike was off but the fans were running) and says with a marveled look on his face,"thats the quietest Harley ever heard in my life".  I had no response for him.
John

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 04:48:17 AM »
Although, Wards fans coupled with Oil Bud would make a very efficient cooling system.  At some point I will install Oil Bud.
John

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:50 AM »
Mike, I have never run these, but have to think this is what's really needed for stuck in traffic situations.

http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/id11.html

They're not pretty, but it's hard to hide anything you add on. Well except the Oil Bud system. I guess if I was frequenting heavy traffic, meaning not moving for extended periods I'd buy these myself. You have to cool the source of the heat. As well that's the area of the motor I'm most concerned that the heat will damage. 
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 07:29:31 AM »
Ohio, have you seen Wards?  A lot less innocuous looking IMO.  I can testify they work very well.  (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
John

Offline FurryOne

• Site Supporter
    • Erie Canal HOG Chapter
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 07:23:30 PM »

FurryOne try an inline T-stat for your cooler and you can lose your cooler cover.

The fan assist Jagg comes with it's own thermostat built-in, but it still let's a bit too much oil run through the cooler.  No big deal - what I really do is attach a small sheet of fiberglass to the opening and that works fine and is invisible.  :P

It's too bad Jagg doesn't offer a retrofit fan - the one with the fan has extra bosses on it to mount the fan, as in these pictures of mine.

Offline mrmike

• Site Supporter
  • Chronic Underachiever
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 09:41:31 PM »
Yeah I was on the Jagg site looking to do just that, retrofit their fan unit onto the cooler I have, not gonna happen.

So much for getting away on the cheap side.

Still considering my options, Iím starting to lean back towards the Oil Bud again, between the Jagg cooler and the Wards fans theyíve done pretty well in traffic so if the Oil Bud dissipates heat any better than the Jagg that may work out just fine for me.

I sent an E-mail to Oil Bud to get his take on it, so far no answer.

Itís winter so I have time to decide.

On a side note Wards appears to be off the net so I guess Iíll be screwed if I need parts and apparently Love Juggs hasnít figured out how to make ďtheirĒ fans work on a t-stat.....yet.

Mike

Offline topcat3815

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 04:45:01 AM »
I have a 14 limited wethead, Ive installed both the oil bud cooler and the wards fans with the manual switch. I live in N.C. so it gets plenty hot here, Ive been caught in traffic and sat and idled and neither has my radiator fans or EITMS  came on. I have checked my oil temperature after a long ride and its runs around 190 degrees in winter and around 215 in summer. My engine is a 103 with cams, stg1 ac and aftermarket exhaust with no converter.

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
mrmike, it seems Wards got 'out lawyered' by Love Juggs (got a feeling HD is backing them) and has been ordered to stop selling. Just MO.. Too bad. Ward made a great product. I was going to retro fit one on my Shovel but I won't buy from Love Juggs
John

Online boooby1744

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 06:09:54 PM »
I live in the city and at times,traffic can be slow/ heavy in any of the boroughs. I have a Baker +1.5 oil pan which I run a little more than a half qt low,Wardís low temp thermostat. The bike is tuned with a 2- 1 and stock cam. Iím not worried by heat.