Author Topic: Oil Bud Oil Cooler  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Street Glide

Re: Oil Bud Oil Cooler
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 07:55:05 PM »
I have Ward Fans on my bike, the only part you will ever have to replace is the fan itself and they are available from Arrow Electronics.

Part # QFR0612UHE-PM00   cost is $20.00 each.

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 05:41:30 AM »
Street Glide, thats some good info..ty.   Have you had to replace your fans?  I'm going on 3 years trouble free.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Offline PIRSCH FIRE WAGON

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 06:03:57 AM »
If you already have the Filter Attachment, there are many plate & Fin or Plate Stacked Coolers on the market of various sizes that will mount with little modifications; for a fraction of the cost.

Someday, I will get around to doing it on my Ultra. Someday.

I plan on using two 90* ball valves as well. Seems to me, the chance of damaging the cooler with rocks or debris could cause a leak on the road. Otherwise, you can quickly become stranded.

For Fans, I have not personally done anything other than install them. But, Customers often Rave about them.
Tom

Offline Street Glide

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 09:31:34 AM »
Answer to hotrodshovel :

I recently purchased a used set of Wards fans off my CVO site.  They were 8 years old and upon arrival the rear fan was missing the small piece of thermal insulation and the fan was toast.  I got the replacement info off the CVO site as well as the info needed to replace the fan and all is good now.

Offline mrmike

• Site Supporter
  • Chronic Underachiever
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »
I ran just the oil cooler for years but get stuck in traffic and it was a competition to see which overheated first me or the bike, traffic became a very high tension issue for me listening to the motor heat up and start to ping.

In some cases pulling over isn't an option, my wife and I got caught in rush hour traffic on the City side of the GWB on the way home from Cape Cod no shoulders no place to stop and let it cool down nutin, thank god it was raining and cloudy but still my blood pressure was way up there worrying about the bike.

Yeah we should have taken the Chimpanzee.

Sure in some instances you can shut the bike down and walk it along or roll downhill but not all.

I put the fans on a couple of years ago, though I wasn't hot about how they looked on the bike I needed to do something. After a couple of days I didn't even notice them and they have been a lifesaver, listening to those little buggers whir away in traffic calms me down and I haven't heard any overheat noises since I installed them, no pinging, nothing. My analog thermometer shows maybe a 20* increase in temp in heavy traffic but it levels off at that and that's when traffic is at a complete stop in 90* temps.

Also the extra bonus is if you do pull over and shut down they keep running and cooling.

So yeah they work very well.

I don't necessarily need a new oil cooler so much as just looking to increase the cooling and hedge my bet a bit more.

If I had to choose between one or the other the fans would win hands down.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Offline Snowyone

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
I have the Oil Bud on my 11 Fatboy with a 124 motor.  It lowered the temps about 20* and is quite bullet proof in it's construction.  The owner is a good guy to and actually installed mine while another guy in his shop videoed the procedure and no cost for the install.  Pretty white of him I thought.  He makes some good music with his band to.  Anyways while on a trip with my brothers last spring when we had that hellacious heat wave the bike got to pinging from the heat.  We had been all over the NW with no problem but when I got close to Vegas and the 114* heat 'Pearl' didn't like it and began to ping.  Tried some 104 Octane Boost in Boulder, Nv but it didn't help.  My dipstick heat gauge didn't like it either and it died and a new battery didn't help.  I don't know how hot it was going by Boulder Dam but I've never experienced heat like that.  Made Vegas feel cool.  By the time I got to Kingman and a little elevation the problem was over.  And no don't think it was the gas and I tried draining some and new gas.  Got home to Cornville and tried to order some Wards fans.  No luck so went with the Love/Nuts brand getting ready for my annual Sturgis run.  Wouldn't you know it...the warmest I seen was 90* so didn't get to see if the combo was the answer.