Author Topic: Quietest lifters  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Clayton24

Quietest lifters
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:50:53 AM »
What lifters usualy run the quietest in others opinions with heavy valve springs ? Thanks for all info !

Offline HD Street Performance

• HD Street Performance
Re: Quietest lifters
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:28 AM »
The lifters that have consistent and tight od size spec and the same on the plunger to body clearance coupled to ca cam with reasonable ramps.

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
Ok i have made a lot of mistakes buying one part when i shouldve bought sumthin else and have to buy it again im just tryin to keep from doin that very often in the future ! I installed cnc heads and the heavy springs are causing a tick i didnt have an im tryin to figure the best lifter to use for that issue . Will wfo larry’s lifters be good for the situation i geuss is what im tryin to say ? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:39:13 AM by Clayton24 »

Offline tmwmoose

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »
I would find out if you need the door slammer springs .

Offline K4FXD

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »
I'm using Hy-lift Johnsons. I believe that is what WfoLarry sells. Not sure if he has any special specs or if he does any extra QC.

Mine are quiet, but other things are not, like the gears on the cams.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
I thought from the other thread you were changing the springs, did that not work?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
1fstrk- i havent did that yet i was just tryin to find out if thats the route i should take ? Or if better lifters would quiet it and still be able to run the stronger springs or is the stronger springs just totaly uneccesary altogether ? I appreciate everyones help with this issue . Thanks

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »
Ok i have made a lot of mistakes buying one part when i shouldve bought sumthin else and have to buy it again im just tryin to keep from doin that very often in the future ! I installed cnc heads and the heavy springs are causing a tick i didnt have an im tryin to figure the best lifter to use for that issue . Will wfo larry’s lifters be good for the situation i geuss is what im tryin to say ? Thanks

best damn lifter I've ever ran...if that means anything to you.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline wfolarry

• Premium Vendor
  • BREATHE DEEP
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
The SE's were originally developed for Mercury Marine. They increased cam life by 300% on their 1500 hp motor. The design has also proven itself in steady state industrial engines. The pin oiling groove provides more oil to the cam /lifter contact area reducing wear.
Will they quiet your motor down? If your problem is a weak lifter then yes they will. If it's something else then no they won't.
Valvetrain noise can be hard to diagnose sometimes because the sound can travel through the whole motor. And sometimes you think it's the valvetrain but it's actually something else.
Stronger springs are not necessarily the cause of valvetrain noise. The dual springs with the flat wire damper I don't care for but a good quality dual spring will be just as quiet as a beehive. The springs on Ray's heads might have more pressure than yours.

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 05:20:19 PM »
Wfo larry-Mine are beehive springs on screamin eagle cnc pro factory heads i think they are suppose to have 208 lbs. seat pressure! Im also thinkin of the lifters for longetivity i like the idea of the pin oiling and more oil to the top . Im not sure how great or what lifters come in my 2015 ultra limited 103”
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:30:21 PM by Clayton24 »

Offline Templer

• For God and Country
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
I use the ones from GMR in my motor!!! No problems in 11k miles with S&S spring set .650.  :scoot:

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »
1fstrk- i havent did that yet i was just tryin to find out if thats the route i should take ? Or if better lifters would quiet it and still be able to run the stronger springs or is the stronger springs just totaly uneccesary altogether ? I appreciate everyones help with this issue . Thanks

Larry's lifters are great and a welcome addition to any build. That said the springs on you heads are just over kill, why use HP and add wear and tear to the drive train with something that has zero up side?

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 05:57:26 PM »
1fstrk- yea very true im actualy takin the gas tank off now im gonna take the heads back off an swap springs and look to make sure the valve to piston and all is ok also and im gonna go back with a set of larry’s lifter at the same time . Im gonna put my oem springs on the cnc heads they did great and only have 10,000  miles on them . Thanks i’ll keep the post updated.

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »
1fstrk- yea very true im actualy takin the gas tank off now im gonna take the heads back off an swap springs and look to make sure the valve to piston and all is ok also and im gonna go back with a set of larry’s lifter at the same time . Im gonna put my oem springs on the cnc heads they did great and only have 10,000  miles on them . Thanks i’ll keep the post updated.

I would confirm the stem protrusion and installed height is the same on both the stock and the cnc before you button it back up with the stock springs, you may want a shim with them. 

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
Ok i’ll check it thanks !

Online prodrag1320

• Premium Vendor
  • AHDRA & AMRA national champion & record holder
    • vee twin racing
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 04:47:03 AM »
S&S

• HD Street Performance
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 06:29:55 AM »
Wfo larry-Mine are beehive springs on screamin eagle cnc pro factory heads i think they are suppose to have 208 lbs. seat pressure! Im also thinkin of the lifters for longetivity i like the idea of the pin oiling and more oil to the top . Im not sure how great or what lifters come in my 2015 ultra limited 103”
Replace the springs and your issue will go away. The retainers can be reused on the stock beehive for a better spring package. If you are using hd lifters change those to hylift lifters. Problem will be solved unless there are other issues such as the shafts clacking on the bolt or pushrods hitting at the top.

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »
S&S lifters and AV&V beehives.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 06:54:13 AM »
Replace the springs and your issue will go away. The retainers can be reused on the stock beehive for a better spring package. If you are using hd lifters change those to hylift lifters. Problem will be solved unless there are other issues such as the shafts clacking on the bolt or pushrods hitting at the top.

:agree:  All of this can be performed using the NUB tool which saves removing the heads.

Did you not check the piston / valve clearance on initial assembly? If you did, it wont have changed so you should be able to forego the head removal. You can still double check the clearances with the heads on by using a Trock travel tool or by manually measuring when the springs are off.
KD

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 07:11:16 AM »
I did check it but was just curious and pulled the heads to change the springs anyway ! Instead of buying the tool to doit on the bike

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
That's fine too. I suggested the tool because it is easier quicker and cheaper than the labor, gaskets and supplies to do it the long way. Valve springs can be done in a couple of hours.  One use pays for it and it is there for subsequent valve spring work, seals or guide checks if you can't leave things alone.  :hyst:
KD

Offline aswracing

• Premium Vendor
    • HAMMER PERFORMANCE
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 07:57:05 AM »
Damn I hate agreeing with Kirby all the time but the S&S Premiums are the quietest lifters I've ever come across.

Offline Barrett

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »
I ran Comp Cams V-Thunder 875's and they worked fine. After some changes gathering parts I decided to go with the S&S premiums this time. Everything else is S$S so I figured I would go all in.. $8,700+ and counting now..  :angry:

Offline No Cents

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »
  I ran the S&S premium lifters for years...with and without limiters. Great lifters...but a little on the pricey side. I can understand the pricing because it was one of the best lifters on the market for years.
  After running a set of the premium lifters last season that Larry sells and hearing the difference they made in my engine, I won't go back to using S&S lifters again.
  I liked them so much that when Larry came out with limiters in the premium lifters I bought a set and put them in my bike this winter. The lifters I pulled out looked excellent and there was no issue with them. I just wanted to go back to a limited lifter because I like the way a limited lifter performs over a lifter that doesn't have a limiter in them.
  You guys should give a try to a set of those premium lifters that Larry is selling...and tell us what you think. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. I know I was.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 08:18:56 AM »
Damn I hate agreeing with Kirby all the time but the S&S Premiums are the quietest lifters I've ever come across.

I didn't mind paying for the premiums after hearing this from those shops that use up to hundreds of sets of lifters per year. After investing the kind of money it takes for a high quality engine build it only makes sense. The premiums with limiters are not disappointing so far.  :up:

As it stands now I will watch to see how Larry's lifters work for someone that runs hard like NoCents. Lifters are a service item esppecially with heavy springs. I may reconsider when the clock is up (25 to 30,000 miles) on my premiums, but for now I am happy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:40:57 AM by kd »
KD

Offline wfolarry

• Premium Vendor
  • BREATHE DEEP
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
PM me with your address & I’ll send you a set to try.

Offline groundhog143

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »

Offline FlaHeatWave

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »
S&S lifters and AV&V beehives.

That's what the 117 has (Premiums, no limiters),,, nice & quiet for 42k+ so far... :up: :up:
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 07:23:14 AM »
The quietest lifters by far are the ones that are used in a bike that has proper spring tension, oil pressure, valve protrusion pushrod/tube clearance and rocker support alignment. Use a quality lifter like Johnson hylift, S&S, Fueling.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

• HD Street Performance
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 07:30:39 AM »
Don't forget a concentric valve seat and face on the valve

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 08:03:58 AM »
Bvhog-ok i think im on my way to a quieter valve train very much appreciated !

Offline itsafatboy

• 2001 116" FLSTFI
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »
i run woods 160 psi springs on a woods 9bg 630 lift work great, but i am running them at 180 seat.  i like the woods lifters , i would like to try the jims steady roll or what ever they call them with the bushing not needle bearings but have not heard enough info about them yet to know if they last long enough. 

Offline shovelbill

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 05:31:16 PM »
every work order i wrote for head/engine work got a set of Rocker Lockers..........i didn't even tell 95% of my customers.

of course that is in addition to all the proper engine building practices that have been thoroughly discussed.

i went with HyLift Johnsons myself when i built my own engine, before i knew Larry sold them.....but used Feuling in the shop. i'm rebuilding my '95 evo to sell soon and will be calling Larry for her lifter needs.

my personal shovels and evos ALWAYS get Velva Touch.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 12:13:29 AM »
Finaly got it all put back together will run it tomorrow eve in respect for my neighbors ! Thanks for everyones help and info ! And i will reportback with an out come tomorrw eve . Thanks again !

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »
What preload for larry’s lifters?

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 07:19:23 PM »
Which lifters? Do they have travel limiters installed?
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline N-gin

• Site Supporter
  • \,,/ (>.<) \,,/ Brraaaaap!
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »
I like the S&S and Larry's, Ive ran both and like them the same.
Other things to look into:
Pushrods hitting the aluminum pushrod tube (drill to 5/8)
Make sure the pushrod isn't skating off the rocker cup due to lift (use ball end pushrods)
Rocker lockers!, I use them in every engine. I also use them to center up the rocker boxes.
Rocker arm to valve stem contact pattern, make sure it is in the center of the valve through the lift.

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
I have the ones thats suppose to have more topend oiling and axle oilers with slow leakdown ! No limiters. Thanks

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 03:24:29 AM »
I would just adjust them 0.100" to 0.120" preload.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline No Cents

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 05:35:33 AM »
  Larry told me .140" deep with no limiters on his premium lifters.
I set them there and all was good. I think .125" deep would work.
  The new lifters Larry sells with the limiters...I adjusted them off the bottom. I went one flat off, after the valve seated and I could spin the p/rod. It gave me a nice quiet valve train.

Offline stogieluvr60

• Treat others as you would have yourself be treated
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »
All this makes me glad I'm putting 2313 SE lifters in my new 122" build...I hate ticking top ends...they're a constant distraction to me.

Online ghillman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 12:04:08 PM »
All this makes me glad I'm putting 2313 SE lifters in my new 122" build...I hate ticking top ends...they're a constant distraction to me.

Just slipped mine in last weekend. Did the oil can to the oil hole on the lifter prime, fired it up not a noise on initial startup..quiet as church mouse.!

Online BigT

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 09:04:47 AM »
I have S&S premium lifters installed in my M8 and have at least one that ticks like crazy after sitting overnight but will quiet down about 30 seconds after start up. Not much help from S&S customer service except return them to were I got them. Last time I purchase lifters through Amazon!

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2018, 05:07:27 AM »
I have S&S premium lifters installed in my M8 and have at least one that ticks like crazy after sitting overnight but will quiet down about 30 seconds after start up. Not much help from S&S customer service except return them to were I got them. Last time I purchase lifters through Amazon!

California Phil is your friend.
No shirt, no shoes, but I still get service.
Why? Girl, look at this body!