Author Topic: Thinking about an 18 Limited. Have they worked out the teething pains yet?  (Read 989 times)

Offline harvman

As the title says. I have a 15 Limited and I am thinking about swapping it in for an 18 Limited. I am just wondering if they have worked out the bugs with these? Are there any really happy M8 owners out there?? Bueller? Anyone? 
Should I wait another year?
  :fish::pop:

Offline IronButt70

FWIW if it was me I would wait. Just too many issues at this point.
Rollin down lifes hiway never looking back cuz something might be gaining on me

Offline Tollbooth

• Site Supporter
I'm waiting. My 16 Limited Low  has only 8,000 miles. Told the wife the 19's are safer . :idea:

Offline road-dawgs1

• Road Dawgs (Vermont chapter)
Iím waiting for the 2020
'08 anniversary Ultra with stuff

Offline lucasg

Harvman;  a fellow Canadian...very rare here..lol.  I'm in the same boat as you sir.  Have an 08 Street Glide that runs strong, hasn't given me too many problems and has really low mileage;  but like you I absolutely love these new bikes.  It would be a 10 year upgrade for me, new motor, frame, suspension, nav, heated grips. etc,etc.  It would also come at a huge expense as I'm sure you can appreciate.  I almost pulled the trigger on 2012 Ultra CVO that had only 5,300 Kms on it.  Electric Orange and Diamond Black.  I'm still kicking myself for not scooping it up.   Sorry got off topic....
I'm sure you've heard this statement over and over again..  According to any Canadian Harley Dealers "We are not aware of any problems or issues with the Milwaukee 8 motor.
Very amusing indeed...
I'm gonna wait it out a little longer...

Good luck bro.. :beer:

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
If history repeats it's self in HD land, and it probably will, they'll make some good changes to the M8 in the next three or four years. And the bike will be pretty solid. That's how long I'll wait before even looking at one.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
I'm loving my '15 RK with the Tire Shredder mod. I'm not interested in an M8. If the RK blows or I get the urge for another bike, I'll seriously look at an Indian Chieftain Elite.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Offline rhuff

• Site Supporter
Personally, I'd wait.  I don't see much to move up for from my 15 to an 18 other than the M8 motor.  Everything else is minor.  I'm waiting until 2019 or 2020 for a new frame.  Then maybe it will be another touring HD.  I am starting to really look hard at the BMW's.  I'll keep my 03 RKC.  Nobody wants that ;)  And I love it. 

Offline DTTJGlide

Well according to all the Forums I'm one of the lucky "few" I feel for the people who are having problems & think HD should be doing a better job at finding a solution. I think the problem bikes are a fairly small percentage, but that doesn't make it anymore acceptable, especially if you're one of the unlucky ones that has one. I'm saying this because I am a happy M8 owner, 17 RG 18,400 miles & no problems, I do my own maintenance so it's never even seen the dealers shop. You're taking a chance buying one now, but I think it's a very small chance of getting a problem bike. It's the best Harley I've ever had & I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I also bought a 99 RKC & had 76K trouble free miles with it in 4 years.

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
I kinda found myself wondering the same thing. But, my '15 Limited has a full 4ch. aftermarket stereo system, 110 kit, T-Man 590 cams, V&H Power Duals/Twin Slash mufflers, WFO Larry heads, SE 58mm, Powervision, Ohlins shocks, etc. etc..... I kept asking myself what exactly was I trading for? Other than 4 extra valves what would I gain? And of course the mods would start all over again  :hyst:

Add to that the $17k the dealer offered on trade & I became a lot more comfortable with what I have.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Offline HintonTM

Re: Thinking about an 18 Limited. Have they worked out the teething pains yet?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 07:35:30 AM »
Iím waiting... I have a 2013 RG that local dealership offered a sweet deal on, but I didnít pull the trigger. My main issue is warranty! The bikes are having a lot of issues because itís now a single cam and so the dynamics are off. And you canít change ANYTHING without technically voiding the warranty. Now some shops might hook you up but itís NOT mandatory. So if you want to add non Harley slip one, no warranty, after market air filter kit, gone. The main reason behind a new bike is the unlimited warranty, but if I canít change ANYTHING (minus Harley only parts) why get a Harley? One of the best things about Harley has been that you make your bike YOURS! Iím waiting for the problems to work out and for the newer bikes to get older (ie no factory warranty) . Now thatís not saying new bikes arenít sweet , I have my eye on a new road glide but for now Iíll wait. Took me about 2 years to get my 13 to the perfect spot... donít want to wait for warranty to expire , new parts to be designed  and tested and THEN upgrade.
Certified HD Mechanic

Offline rbabos

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:30 AM »
Iím waiting... I have a 2013 RG that local dealership offered a sweet deal on, but I didnít pull the trigger. My main issue is warranty! The bikes are having a lot of issues because itís now a single cam and so the dynamics are off. And you canít change ANYTHING without technically voiding the warranty. Now some shops might hook you up but itís NOT mandatory. So if you want to add non Harley slip one, no warranty, after market air filter kit, gone. The main reason behind a new bike is the unlimited warranty, but if I canít change ANYTHING (minus Harley only parts) why get a Harley? One of the best things about Harley has been that you make your bike YOURS! Iím waiting for the problems to work out and for the newer bikes to get older (ie no factory warranty) . Now thatís not saying new bikes arenít sweet , I have my eye on a new road glide but for now Iíll wait. Took me about 2 years to get my 13 to the perfect spot... donít want to wait for warranty to expire , new parts to be designed  and tested and THEN upgrade.
So, why do you want to start again? :teeth:
Ron

Offline FLSTFIDave

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
I did not wait.  I bought a 17 CVO Street glide and put 21K trouble free miles on it in 11 months.  Traded it for an 18 CVO Road Glide, have 6K trouble free on it.  I think they are much better than the five 110 CVO bikes I have had.  I still have a 13 CVO King that is built. 

My wife has a 17 Road glide special, she likes it a lot better than the 15 she had.  Said it has more power, and rides better due to the improved front suspension and rear shocks.

I know some are having issues with sumping.  I have been lucky, no issues.  I do run mine up the RPM.

I have had more issues with 110's and their failed lifters.  I have two of them have lifters fail, the 15 failed so bad Harley replaced the engine at 44K miles, bike was 5 days short of 2 years old. 
2018 CVO Road Glide, Gunship Gray
2013 CVO Road King, Anniversary  03 Fatboy

Offline Geezer_Glider

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
If it is what you want and can afford it, do it. Life is too short to worry about doomsayers on the internet. Traded in the 16 Ultra with 26K on it July 1 for a 17 Ultra M8. 14K on the new one now waiting for spring. No problems, no sumping, no oil transfer, serviced at home as always. Just wanted to check out the new M8 and they made me a good deal. Not a big performance difference. Both bikes are good, they are both the same color even. Been on Electra Glides since 1991. They do keep cutting features though. No fender tip lights (can be added), no CB (can be added). Have had both in twisties and the M8 does a little better on throttle up with a bit better handling but the improvements are slight.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Offline Tail Ridr

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 03:58:32 AM »
Add to that the $??k the dealer offered on trade & I became a lot more comfortable with what I have.
[/quote]
Same here, when I walked in to buy mine...a '14 Ltd with 2975 miles for under 20k or a new 4 valver for 28k? For 9k I can do many mods and for sure, I no longer have to wait for the warranty. :wink:

I think there may have been some creature comforts I gave up on...maybe :scratch:
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Offline harvman

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »
I really am thinking about keeping the 15. I have a feeling the 114 will be an option in the touring line in the next year.
 It is probably wise to wait at least another year.
Thanks for all your replies.

Offline cyclone33

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
Don't wait.  The M8 is too much fun to ride and you are getting older by the minute.  Spoil yourself and get the bike.

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 06:26:33 AM »
FWIW we have had very few problems with M8s..

Offline 50Panhead

• 50FL, 2017 Limited, 02 Heritage 32 VL, 74XLH, + 6
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 10:38:23 AM »
I traded my 2010 E glide in for a  2017 Limited last April and love it. I  put just over 12,000 miles on it so far. Great machine. No regrets. Pulls like a Tractor and rides like a Cadillac 
What Do You Care What Other People Think