Author Topic: Wire Routing is Important  (Read 674 times)

Offline chaos901

• Site Supporter
Wire Routing is Important
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »
Just a cautionary tale hoping that you won't be this guy.....me in other words.

2010 CVO Ultra, was riding back and forth to work the other day and noticed that the ABS was staying on all the time.  I had noticed that on a ride on New Years Day but it was 10 degrees that day so I figured maybe the cold.  So I start to check the bike and hook it up to my computer (Daytona Twin Scan) and it comes back with a code for Short or Fault on the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor.  So I take off the right side saddlebag to have a look.  Hate to serach for electrical fualts but this one was easy.  The wire was cut in two between the speed sensor and where it plugs in under the right cover.  Appeared to have been brake disk, not supposed to do that. 

Evidently when I was mounting my rear wheel the last time I routed the cable between the caliper and the disk, I know this almost certainly because the part of the cable that was left on the speed sensor was just enough to reach the outside the disk. 

Anyway, the local dealer had one in stock (imagine that) and I got it replaced fairly easily. 

Will pay more attention in the futre.

Offline -deuced-

• Site Supporter
Re: Wire Routing is Important
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 05:16:32 PM »

Will pay more attention in the futre.
:hyst:

edit: These things happen. Thanks for the heads up. At least your brakes would've still worked, without abs function. Did you have to replace entire sensor or just a wire?
Thought your lack of future attention was funny because that's exactly the sort of thing I would do.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:47:41 PM by -deuced- »

Offline chaos901

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:50:08 AM »
The sensor just goes to the Right Side Cover where it plugs into a connector.  Could have spliced the wires and may have had to add a short section, but I decided to replace the entire unit. 

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:09:08 AM »
Thankfully my old iron doesn't have a rear wheel speed sensor, if it did I woulda prolly done the same thing..

Or like when the dealer did my front fork seals under warranty years ago and when i get home I notice my front fender tip light working..  I look at the bulb.. it looks fine.. try another and still doesn't work.. YEP you guessed it !
where's the points and condenser ?
Tom / aka motor

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »
On my old Monte Carlo, it wasn't me that routed the air line for the shocks too close to the exhaust, burning through the line and slamming the car down onto the oversize rear tires.
Wait. Yes it was.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 06:27:42 AM »
On my old Monte Carlo, it wasn't me that routed the air line for the shocks too close to the exhaust, burning through the line and slamming the car down onto the oversize rear tires.
Wait. Yes it was.

You was wanting to preheat the air going to the shocks on accounta hot air works better in MN winters
Tom / aka motor

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:14:27 AM »
Wait. Yes it was.

Did that on a 71 Torino. Before I got stopped the chrome wheel well trim had chewed the raised white letters off a new set of L60s.  :embarrassed:
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 06:59:09 AM »
L60's, same tires I had. The old Fleetwood Marauders.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »
Holy chit, L60's, haven't heard that in over 35 years, you guys really are some old bastards. 
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
Holy chit, L60's, haven't heard that in over 35 years, you guys really are some old bastards.

LOL   Been more than 35 for me.. I recall seeking Letter series tires in the early 70's... G78   H78 G70's L78's  etc,..   I'm guessing 45 years for me..

Ya they are old Farts !  :hyst:
Tom / aka motor

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »

71 Torino, Craiger rims, Hijacker air shocks, L60s on the back, G60s in front. 302 under the hood  :hyst:
Also had a 77 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with same size tires on Keystone Classics...

Mmmmmm  Pimpin....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:08:57 PM by 76shuvlinoff »

Offline Beave

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 06:49:30 AM »
71 Torino, Baby moons, G70's, 351 C.  In 1973 I was a junior in HS.  My older brother was trying to play hooky.  This car (our Mom's) was a tire smoker on pavement, treacherous on ice.  He spun it in front of the High School and the responding cop t-boned it on the ice. He got a standing ovation from the entire St X student body.
With speed comes stability.

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 06:39:02 AM »

71 Torino, Craiger rims, Hijacker air shocks, L60s on the back, G60s in front. 302 under the hood  :hyst:
Also had a 77 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with same size tires on Keystone Classics...

Mmmmmm  Pimpin....
Yeah, but did you have the little dingleberries outlining the rear window, or the beer tab chain running around the headliner?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 05:54:10 PM »

Mmmmmm  Pimpin....
Yeah, but did you have the little dingleberries outlining the rear window, or the beer tab chain running around the headliner?

Nope but there was a Cowboy hat on the back deck, an 8 track player and a cb radio under the dash and fog lights mounted behind the grill.