Author Topic: Rocker Lockers?  (Read 708 times)

Offline dwjohnson

• Site Supporter
Rocker Lockers?
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
 On the brass sleeves you press in by the rocker arm shafts, how do you remove them when needed and can they be reused or reinstalled? Thanks

Offline harley_cruiser

• Site Supporter
    • Rocker Lockers
Re: Rocker Lockers?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
On the brass sleeves you press in by the rocker arm shafts, how do you remove them when needed and can they be reused or reinstalled? Thanks
Yes you can remove them by turning the support plate up side down and tapping them out with a punch or by using the flat side of the alignment tool as a punch. Usually they come right out and you can reuse them. If you ruin one just message me and I will send you a new set.

Offline harley_cruiser

• Site Supporter
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:19:12 AM »
DW Here is a video that I made a year or so ago that shows how to remove the inserts, it show it at about the one minute mark.
https://youtu.be/JQS99wCOWbE

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:11:04 AM »
I have them in my TC88   just curious ?  Why do you want to remove them..?
where's the points and condenser ?
Tom / aka motor

Offline les

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »

In the situation that you want to remove or change the rocker arm shafts.  The shafts cannot be removed with the rocker lockers inserted into the rocker support plate.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »

In the situation that you want to remove or change the rocker arm shafts.  The shafts cannot be removed with the rocker lockers inserted into the rocker support plate.

Thx Les..  That makes sense..  I was just pondering the thought of him removing them as if the lockers were creating a problem of some sort but really can't imagine how they could.
where's the points and condenser ?
Tom / aka motor

Offline dwjohnson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
 Thank you for the info and video.
Only removing them so I can install 1,75 rockers. They have worked great, flawless and did what you said they would, I will be putting them back in.
 Thanks also for the replacement offer, should I need one.

Offline doubletrouble

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »
Hows that for customer service ? Hard to find these days . Free replacements ; way to go.

Offline BAKON

• Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 02:05:19 PM »
Ordered set for buddy's bike today. Doimg a 96 to 106 build
wasting time

Offline Ironpig9

• Site Supporter
  • Don't let your "wants" hurt you.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 06:17:15 AM »
Getting ready to do some work on my 01 Ultra with 65K on the clock so I ordered a set today. With new lifters and adj. push rods I'm looking forward to many miles of quieter riding!
"The road goes on forever...."

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »
Why are you putting in adjustable  push rods when taking off the top end? :scratch:

Offline harley_cruiser

• Site Supporter
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:20:59 AM »
Getting ready to do some work on my 01 Ultra with 65K on the clock so I ordered a set today. With new lifters and adj. push rods I'm looking forward to many miles of quieter riding!
Iron, one thing that we stress is that there are many causes of noise in Harley's, yes most noises come from the valve train, but they have to be making a noise in order for the new lifters or lockers to stop the tick.  If the tick is coming from the cam chest, not so.
If you have a tick, this is a good starting point, and in most cases will cure most ticks.
About the adjustables like Koko was asking, while some people are big supporters of adjustables a lot of time they cause more problems than they cure. They are fatter and a lot of times will rub the tubes causing a tick. They are hard to adjust and sometimes come loose. If you are running a cam with the same base circle as stock then adjustables are not needed. Yes they  make it easier to install lifters because you do not have to take off the rocker arm support plate, but if you are removing it to install the Rocker Lockers then I would consider running the stock push rods.
Installing adjustables used to be part of the quest in getting rid of the tick, to be able to increase the preload on the lifters. We have all read it a thousand times, however we have also read that most of the time it did not help, simply because that was not where the noise was coming from.
I feel that the most problems in the top end were caused by the slop in the plate bolts and the plate allowing the plate to me mounted in a different position every time it was installed. To be skewed on top of the head, causing side loads on the rocker arms, letting the push rods to rub, causing different wear patterns on the rocker arm foot. Yes they also lock the shaft eliminating that tick, and that is just as important.
The lockers center the plate where it should be and align everything.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:11:16 AM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »

Offline Ironpig9

• Site Supporter
  • Don't let your "wants" hurt you.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 07:28:11 AM »
Good point guys and thanks. Hope it warms up soon so I can the bike in the shop and fixed up. Have a laundry list of things to fix or maintain before heading out in June. Ride safe.
"The road goes on forever...."