Author Topic: Dual Disk 16" front wheels  (Read 292 times)

Offline CarlosGGodfrog

Dual Disk 16" front wheels
« on: February 01, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »
Are the dual disk hubs, both Timken and Sealed bearing, all the same width ? This is for 16", 40 spoke wheels. I am considering a custom front end fab project, and I need to know the disk to disk width differences.

Thanks

Offline twincam8888

• Site Supporter
Re: Dual Disk 16" front wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:39:56 AM »
Are the dual disk hubs, both Timken and Sealed bearing, all the same width ?.....No, but I don't have wheels here to give you a measurement.
But what do I know? I drive a school bus.

Offline CarlosGGodfrog

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »
Are we talking tenths or inches ?

Offline Carl 1969

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »
What bike are you starting with? 'N what kinda front end? If yer starting with a FXST or FXDWG, your trees are wider than the the FLST trees, so the dresser hub will fit, but you'll need custom wheel spacers & you'll have to space your brake calipers to line up correctly.

I think touring & FLST trees are the same width, but use different calipers. As an example '02 FLST, FXD, FXDWG & FXST use the same caliper, while the touring models use a different part number.

If you use FLST/4-spd FX/FL trees & dresser legs, you may or may not need custom wheel spacers & shims to space the calipers correctly. If using FXST/FXDWG trees you will definitely need spacers & shims. Regardless, buy the axle for the model of trees yer using, but buy the fender that fits your trees. You'll also likely need spacers to center the fender correctly.

As an example, I'm running '02 FLST legs in '01 FXST trees with a '99 FLST wheel. Custom wheel spacers, 1/8" caliper shims & 5/16" fender spacers, as the FXST trees are 1/4" wider than the FLST trees the fender's ~1/4" narrower than the FLST fender.

Depending on the bike yer starting with & which components you use, it can be practically a bolt-on operation. For my '02 FXD, all I had to do was trim ~1/4" from the "wings" of the lower trees to clear the frame (which is what the factory does, pre-chrome, as the FXST & FXDWG trees are the same casting, including the Dyna fork stops), along with the aforementioned spacers/shims.

There's a 290 page thread over on HDForums- Community->Social Groups->FL-Dyna Interest Group spanning 8 years covering just about every which way you could possibly "FL" a Dyna, both '05 & earlier & '06 & later. Dunno if yer starting with a Dyna, but there's a boatload of info there that ought to get you pointed in the right direction.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

Offline CarlosGGodfrog

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »
I will be working with a custom FLSTS type front end if I do this. Not a telescopic front fork. Like I asked, what is the width of the dual disk hubs for 16" wheels.

Offline Carl 1969

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 08:04:24 AM »
Can't help you there. Might wanna scrounge through some of the other forums & see if you can find a bagger guy that has switched from spokes to something else & see if they'll measure their hub for ya.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired