Author Topic: Oil issue?  (Read 589 times)

Offline Clayton24

Oil issue?
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
Took heads off to replace with lighter valve springs throttle body has light coat of oil in the runners where they go into the heads and intake ports in heads ? Piston had oily residue on tops of them ? Is this normal or is sumthin not right ! Engine is 2015 103 twin cooled and has 10,000 miles . i just installed the se cnc heads and new gaskets about 140 miles ago no known issues in running . No smoke etc. also blocked ports off in the breather and vented externally. Thanks for any help or info      Fwiw it looked like one exhaust valve guide was alittle wet on the bottom of the guide in exhaust port ! Valve seal bad maybe ? Thanks

Online 1FSTRK

Re: Oil issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:28:18 AM »
You should double check the distance between the bottom of the upper spring collar and the top of the valve seal. Those heads should have plenty of free travel for that cam but mistakes can happen.
It would explain both the oil and the noise.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:19:50 AM »
 It is 0.625 how much more needs to be there than lift for a safety margin ? I have a new set of seals im putting in while im at it . Also the spring installed hieght is 1,810 i will kno what the springs read set at that later today thanks ! All the measurements i have taken have been the same as on the oem heads off the bike i took the springs im using from .
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:31:59 AM by Clayton24 »

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:40:42 AM »
That is plenty for the 57 cam.

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:48:26 AM »
What i was thinkin ! I appreciate all your help im goin back with new lifter from wfo larry also the are on the way just for longetivity !

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 06:44:23 AM »
You may find the seals are not seated down from install. If one exhaust guide is showing wet the seals may be the culprit. Stock seals are quite bulky. Did you use Viton seals? If not, think about going that route. I had a similar problem in the manifold that turned out to be rings lined up one one cylinder. IIRC you said you were going to do the base gasket / seal anyway. It'll give you a good peek at them then.
KD

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 07:05:18 AM »
Ok iíll check that too! What should i shoot for on the valve spring seat pressure ? (Valves shut)

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:36:27 AM »
I should add that the valve seal "guess" is based on the understanding by your comments that the heads are new and should not have valve guide wear issues. They may also be fitted with the stock Harley seals which are larger and may have interference issues . That also does not rule out other guide problems such as poor original fit or cracked heads from installing excessively oversize guides. The last one is not as likely if in fact new OEM.
KD

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »
Kd- ok the valve guides look good and valve to guide fit is good im hopin just seals i kno fwiw before i installed then the valves had been in and out of the seal afew times without the cover over the stem for instalation ! It is oem harley new style seals with lower spring . seat . Im hopin one of the seals were just damaged buy the grooves in the valve stems. Thanks

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 02:43:06 AM »
I'd be suspecting breather oil mist, being ingested.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 04:06:51 AM »
I'd be suspecting breather oil mist, being ingested.

Covered in the OP

Took heads off to replace with lighter valve springs throttle body has light coat of oil in the runners where they go into the heads and intake ports in heads ? Piston had oily residue on tops of them ? Is this normal or is sumthin not right ! Engine is 2015 103 twin cooled and has 10,000 miles . i just installed the se cnc heads and new gaskets about 140 miles ago no known issues in running . No smoke etc. also blocked ports off in the breather and vented externally. Thanks for any help or info      Fwiw it looked like one exhaust valve guide was alittle wet on the bottom of the guide in exhaust port ! Valve seal bad maybe ? Thanks

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:58:01 AM »
OK
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 05:35:17 AM »
"valves had been in and out of the seal afew times without the cover over the stem for instalation !" :emoGroan: 
Ya think that may be your problem?

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
 Im hoping thats it ! I kno that when i put the new seals on i was very careful and used the cover on them correctley. That wasnt done by me !thanks

Online sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
good luck with your build - let us know how it turns out
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:11 PM »
Ok thanks ! Will keep this thread posted lifters are shipped !