Author Topic: Upgrading brakes on 2003 Road King  (Read 547 times)

Offline rhuff

• Site Supporter
Upgrading brakes on 2003 Road King
« on: February 04, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
Kicking around the idea of upgrading the brakes.  In the past, I've seen some write-ups on brembo ABS conversions.  Not sure if this is the route I would take, but tired of the anemic brakes on my 03.

Curious as to suggestions and routes that others have gone.  I'm on the fence between a total upgrade like the brembos or maybe better pads (guessing that won't be enough of an improvement for me tho). 

All right, suggestions and rough costs.s

Offline road-dawgs1

• Road Dawgs (Vermont chapter)
'08 anniversary Ultra with stuff

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
Re: Upgrading brakes on 2003 Road King
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
That's a nice document.     :up:

For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline rhuff

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:37:05 AM »
Good pdf here https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.box.com%2Fshared%2Fuezic40eyp

Thanks!  I have that document saved-for quite some time as I've been thinking about this for years. 

I know this will probably be the "gold standard," at least for my 03.  Still recruiting other suggestions as well as ABS isn't a necessity.  I'd be happier with improved performance with or without ABS.

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:57:08 AM »
Good high friction pads and regular cleaning of the caliper pistons makes for decent brakes given the system is air free.

Offline twincam8888

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »
Good high friction pads and regular cleaning of the caliper pistons makes for decent brakes given the system is air free.

:agree: The EBC Brakes FA400HH sintered Disc Brake Pads have good stopping power. If you can score a good used brake line off a later model street glide that someone has removed for apes that brake line is better than the old rubber ones too. Around 2007 to 2013 or so as I recall.
But what do I know? I drive a school bus.

Offline Bigs

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »
I put Russell floating rotors on my '06 RG with Lindall gold+ pads - great stopping. My son complained about brakes on his '02 RK so I put Harley floaters and Lyndall gold+ pads on his and he's happy as a clam. That setup seems about as good as the Brimbos that I have on my '17 RK.
   Bigs

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »

:agree: The EBC Brakes FA400HH sintered Disc Brake Pads have good stopping power. If you can score a good used brake line off a later model street glide that someone has removed for apes that brake line is better than the old rubber ones too. Around 2007 to 2013 or so as I recall.

And if you add EP in front of that part # you have EBC's Extreme performance, higher friction coefficient pads which EBC claims is slightly easier on rotors...but the price is higher.

Lyndall racing Xtreme is also a good HH rated pad.

Offline mrmike

• Site Supporter
  • Chronic Underachiever
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 06:11:43 PM »
I put a set of JayBrake Extreme calipers on my 03 RK and fitted them with Lyndalls Gold pads. The braking is vastly improved with just two fingers used to brake.

Iíve been running this setup for several years now and itís a great improvement.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »
That's a nice document.     :up:

Ben Beverly did the groundwork and upgrade to his bike, he sent me the text and pix and I produced the pdf for him, he has since moved on to a Can Am Spyder from his Harley Davidson.

Offline klammer76

• Site Supporter
  • It's all about the Torque!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 05:04:11 AM »
I did the front Brembo's with HD floating rotors and EBC pads on my 2002 FLHTC. Night and day difference. I did the whole deal, master cylinder, calipers, lines. I disassembled the calipers and MC, cleaned, reinstalled with new seals and use DOT 5. No issues and lever is rock solid. Warped the stock HD rotors right away. Floaters have been fine.

I also did the Brembo rear caliper, floating EBC rotor and EBC pads. I did this as it is way easier to get the wheel off and back on with a 150 tire. I still have the original 2002 Kelsey Hays master cylinder on. I need to replace the Kelsey Hayes mc with the rear Brembo mc to get the high hard rear pedal. Have to cut off the original mount to do that and haven't had time or place to do it. Works with the Kelsey Hayes now but doesn't have the pressure I want. Only other thing for the rear set up is had to get a 2008 non ABS wheel spacer and open it up to 1" and machine down slightly.

Offline skunk

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »

And if you add EP in front of that part # you have EBC's Extreme performance, higher friction coefficient pads which EBC claims is slightly easier on rotors...but the price is higher.

Rick, Adding the EP in front of the part number on the pads for the Brembo's about doubles the price, do you feel the additional braking is there with the EP's over the HH pads?
[/quote]

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
Rick, Adding the EP in front of the part number on the pads for the Brembo's about doubles the price, do you feel the additional braking is there with the EP's over the HH pads?

I get about 25K out of the dual front pads so it's not significant economically to spend $60-$70 more ever 2-1/2 - 3 seasons.

For front brakes if a pad has more power, is easier on rotors and I like the feel I'll pay the price.

Typical cruiser riders may not notice the difference.  I have an affliction that causes me to ride like I'm on a sport bike occasionally,  that kind of extreme sport (sic) requires it's match in front pads.

I haven't run the EBC EP pads only have experience with Lyndall Xtreme HH.  I plan to try EBC on the FXDX.

Offline rhuff

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 11:12:59 PM »
Thanks all for the ideas.  I *think* I'm going to start with a thorough cleaning of the calipers, new brake fluid, and try the Lydall Xtreme of EBC sintered HH.  Not sure if that will do it for me, but I would like to start low budget and work up from there. 

I think my next step would be floating rotors and new calipers.  What are on the short list for these 2 items? 

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »
 :up:  Having all the piston clean/free goes a long ways toward having a firm lever and decent brakes. 

Online fbn ent

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »
rhuff....do you have braided lines to your calipers? Night and day.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"
Hinton, Alberta

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 06:05:17 PM »
rhuff....do you have braided lines to your calipers? Night and day.

Especially if they are the original lines, 15 years old now. Even new stock lines would help, but braided, chrome or black, would be an improvement over stock rubber lines.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »
Also, have you replaced the brake fluid every two years, as stated in the owners manual?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »
IME changing to braided lines is not near as effective as clean pistons and no air in system.  My FXDX and Ducati both have the original brake hoses...solid lever/good brakes.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
I had a '05 Ultra with the "crappy" HD brakes, then a '10 and now a '16 with Brembos. I never noticed a huge difference. I admit the Brembos were better, but not enough that I would go through the trouble of swapping out the master cylinders and wheel cylinders. Fresh fluid and braided lines would get you close to the feel of the Brembos.

I wonder how many riders come off a earlier model, a few years old, brakes never serviced, then trade up to a new model and are surprised of the difference.

Same deal as swapping out a worn out tire to a new one of a different brand and surprised how much better the new tire handles.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline rhuff

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 10:02:05 PM »
Braided lines was something I forgot to mention.  Yes, I will have those done.  And the brakes were flushed I *believe* 12 months ago.  Will have to check logs.  But thinking braided lines, cleaning, better pads and another flush will be a good starting point. 

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 06:46:56 AM »
Having the calipers clean and working correctly is the most important thing. No reason you shouldn't have great brakes if they are working the way they should. I get a ton of older bikes in here with calipers and are gummed up and a spongy lever.  My own 2002 has all stock components and the brakes are awesome on that bike. Still not like a brembo but more than capable.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Offline rhuff

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
Thanks Bob!  I'm assuming the caliper is gummed up as the brakes are usually pretty strong and I just had new pads put on earlier this year. 

Btw, this little 107" of mine that you tuned is going to cost me A LOT in rear tires.

Offline kboarts

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
When I redid my 02 Road King brakes last summer, I used speed merchant caliper mounts, rebuilt tokiko calipers from a GSXR, braided lines and Galfer wave Rotors and EBC pads.  Couldn't be more pleased with the setup.

Offline kabar

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »
Upgraded the front brakes on my 2002 FLTRI to the newer Harley Brembos, Lyndahl pads, and Harley floating rotors (since the Brembos require the larger new rotors anyway).  Straight bolt on and 100% better.  If you get new calipers (found several sets on eBay for around $200) you can retain your stock master cyl and use DOT 5 which is not hydroscopic.