Author Topic: Intake gasket replacement  (Read 577 times)

Offline trex

Intake gasket replacement
« on: February 04, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
While I'm rebuilding my carb I'm going to replace the intake manifold gaskets. Never done that. Is it doable by raising the back of the tank? 03 FXD

Offline K4FXD

Re: Intake gasket replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:51:21 PM »
Yes it's do-able. Tank on or off it is a pain in the rear.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Offline mr. pitts

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 03:29:46 AM »
Can you remove the float bowl on your bike with the carb in place? If so, take the time to replace the very soft crosshead screws with allen bolts. I believe they are 3mm. HTH.

Offline trex

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 06:41:50 AM »
                                                                                Thanks, didn't want to start then find out I have to buy a gas can and drain the tank. Not looking forward to it but I think I have a slight lean condition at low speed. It pops on deceleration and feels a little lean. will look at the low speed jet and replace the gaskets.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »
Have you done a propane test to see if you could locate a leak ?

That's how I found mine.

FLH  and it was a PITA. I ended up removing tank, horn, top engine bracket..

Those two factory allen bolts are a bugger to get at.

I changed them to hex heads. 

where's the points and condenser ?
Tom / aka motor

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »
I was able to change mine on the RoadKing without removing anything but the horn and carburetor.
My boss always says mean things to me,
like, "You're late."

Offline hogpipes1

• 49 FL Pan My 1st Bike in 1963
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
                                                                                Thanks, didn't want to start then find out I have to buy a gas can and drain the tank. Not looking forward to it but I think I have a slight lean condition at low speed. It pops on deceleration and feels a little lean. will look at the low speed jet and replace the gaskets.

If you have not done it , the idle mix plug should come out and the mix screw backed out about 2 turns  from  lite seated . I have done them on the bike , you can pop it out from intake  with cables on . there is enough room to get it done .

Offline FLHRI_2004

• Site Supporter
  • Joined HTT 1/16/2004, Easton/Bethlehem, PA
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
I bent an Allen wrench to get in there.  Or you can buy the special tool.
My Ride: Road King

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
I was able to change mine on the RoadKing without removing anything but the horn and carburetor.

I tried Hoss,  just couldn't get the left side allens out with that stuff in the way.  I cut off allen wrench's and wasn't happy with the access I had.  I was as concerned about the reassembly to.

Figured all the trouble I was having taking it apart, putting it back together without leaks would be a bear with that stuff in the way. .
Tom / aka motor

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
I bent an Allen wrench to get in there.  Or you can buy the special tool.

Yes.. I bent one, I cut one off short to fit into the allen head and just enough on the other end to fit into a ratcheting box wrench.

LOL It was a learning battle..

That was my first time changing them on a TC88
Tom / aka motor

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »
I'll be honest, the first time I removed the left side allen head bolts, I squeezed a vise grips onto the heads and rocked them loose, then used a cut down Allen and box end wrench.
Since then, I am able to just use the Allen and wrench.
like, "You're late."

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »
This one is not expensive, purposed for the job and has a ball end on it to make it easier. I have one and it works well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intake-Manifold-Wrench-Yost-Performance-WRNB/321713323344?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
KD

Offline smoserx1

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 04:31:24 PM »
 :agree:
Got one of those too.  They work good.

Offline trex

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
This one is not expensive, purposed for the job and has a ball end on it to make it easier. I have one and it works well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intake-Manifold-Wrench-Yost-Performance-WRNB/321713323344?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
                              Thanks, I'll get one before I start

Offline trex

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »
This might sound stupid but the SM is vague. When mounting the carb to center the manifold, I assume that the carb to aircleaner backing plate is tight but the plate to the heads with the breather bolts just hand tight, correct?Then tighten the manifold to heads bolts snug, take carb off and tighten all the way, correct?

Offline trex

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »

Some places say it fits my 03 FXD and others like Dennis Kirk say it does not fit

Offline FLHRI_2004

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 04:36:24 AM »
I use the H-D "tool" that mimics the backing plate but is cut away to allow better access but you could use the backing plate.  You don't need the carb attached.

Offline EVOKing94

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 05:52:32 PM »
I take the bit out of a allen socket and use it with a wrench.  Works great in the tight area manifold bolts.  Cut down allen for the rockers.

Offline FLHRI_2004

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 06:46:49 PM »
I use the H-D "tool" that mimics the backing plate but is cut away to allow better access but you could use the backing plate.  You don't need the carb attached.

Ha!  I meant the air cleaner.  :embarrassed:

Offline smoserx1

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:30 AM »
I've done it twice on my 99 FLHT.  Yes the carburetor must be attached and either the backing plate or that alignment bracket used.  The first time I remember space was tight.  What I did was snug the bolts accessible from the left enough to keep everything stationary.  Then I removed the carburetor and bracket and snugged the bolts from the right.  Then I tightened all of them good.  Can't remember if the tank was on or not. The second time was after a top end job and I put the manifold on after the heads but before the rocker assemblies.  Had plenty of room from both sides then.  Tank was definitely off then.  I use both that Yost wrench and the alignment bracket.  Makes things go easier.

Offline trex

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies guy's. I got the Yost tool ordered after calling Yost himself. Amazon and EBAY and Dennis Kirk sites said it wouldn't work on my year and model which sounded stupid. Yost said he would fix that and yes it would work. Amazon even called it an enrichening device. Huh? It will probably be obvious while I'm doing it but I'm still not clear if I should tighten both the backing plate to carb and then tighten it all the way tight to the heads with the breather bolts or if that will push the manifold too far back. So backing plate to heads loose or all the way hand tight?

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies guy's. I got the Yost tool ordered after calling Yost himself. Amazon and EBAY and Dennis Kirk sites said it wouldn't work on my year and model which sounded stupid. Yost said he would fix that and yes it would work. Amazon even called it an enrichening device. Huh? It will probably be obvious while I'm doing it but I'm still not clear if I should tighten both the backing plate to carb and then tighten it all the way tight to the heads with the breather bolts or if that will push the manifold too far back. So backing plate to heads loose or all the way hand tight?

I left all 4 manifolds bolts loose enough to move with very little effort and then put carb and backing plate on it. The torque spec for the 01 FLH breather bolts is only 12 FT lbs. Not sure what your torque spec is,  I just torqued them down to that and let the backing plate do the aligning. 

Don't know if it was mentioned but a little lube/ grease/ vasoline/ dish soap on the new seals is a good idea to.

I think Hoss uses KY jell...
Tom / aka motor

Offline trex

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 10:16:40 AM »

I left all 4 manifolds bolts loose enough to move with very little effort and then put carb and backing plate on it. The torque spec for the 01 FLH breather bolts is only 12 FT lbs. Not sure what your torque spec is,  I just torqued them down to that and let the backing plate do the aligning. 

Don't know if it was mentioned but a little lube/ grease/ vasoline/ dish soap on the new seals is a good idea to.

I think Hoss uses KY jell...
                                                                                                 Thanks that's what I was curious about and thanks for the lube idea, so they don't pinch when tightening everything down. You guys are great.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »
First mount the manifold and snug lightly into position so the manifold and head runners match on the inside. Without the carb on you will be able to get your fingers inside to feel both surfaces on each side for mating quality. Try to position the manifold to carb mounting surface so it is going to keep the carb level and match the backing plate when they are mounted. Tighten down a little more so it does not move and will take the weight of the carb on it without the backing plate. double check to ensure the runners still mate up.

Next attach the carb with the base gasket you intend to use (if any) to the manifold. Be carefull not to let the weight of the carb twist the manifold from it's set position.

Now attach the backing plate very loose to the heads with the breather bolts to guide the backing plate up to the heads straight. Start the 3 base to carb screws and take special notice on how the mounting flanges mate up to the head as you wind the 3 carb mounting screws down carefully and evenly. (important .... If you have to lift or lower the carb to get the 3 screws lined up with the backing plate holes, recheck the inside of the manifold to head runner fit to be sure you haven't lost the fit.) If the head flanges contact before the 3 carb bolts are bottomed and snugged up you will need a thicker base gasket so the carb and base do not pull the manifold toward the right side of the engine and cause a seal leak. If the 3 carb bolts do snug up and there is a gap between the backing plate mounting flanges you will need to space the flanges with shims to give "even" contact to the heads, These shims (rubber coated can be purchased from s&s. Tighten all fasteners now and "Bob's yur uncle" - done.

The idea is to get the installation to fit without any deviation of the manifold seal to the heads as the fasteners are torqued down. It will be in a natural fit position without any stress on the seals. As mentioned, a very light (and I mean very light) lube will be helpful but will also allow some movement out of position during this procedure if care is not taken.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:08:41 AM by kd »
KD

Offline trex

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 10:43:22 AM »
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about. Thanks kd

Offline trex

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 08:21:14 AM »
Haven't done the carb rebuild/manifold gasket replacement yet, waiting for a few days in a row off first. Is it ok to replace the manifold bolts with stainless steel if they aren't already? Seems I read years ago something about stainless fasteners not being good for some uses.

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
Stainless fasteners tend to gall when used in aluminum.
like, "You're late."

Offline trex

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 10:34:54 AM »
Thanks Hoss, I'll get non stainless then

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 11:24:29 AM »
I picked up new stock bolts, not too expensive.
like, "You're late."

Offline trex

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
I picked up new stock bolts, not too expensive.
                                                                               Harley only had 1 so I bought it, Ace and NAPA didn't have any allen head grade 8's so I hope the one's in there are good. My no. 48 and 50 slow jets and the yost tool came yesterday in the mail. I'll start today. Planning on putting in the 48 jet. Talked to guy at Flo Headworks and told him what I had and he suggested the 48, so glad I had ordered those.

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
What size motor and carb do you have? A 48 seems kind of fat, I'm running a 46 on a 95" with heads and a cv44.
like, "You're late."

Offline trex

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
What size motor and carb do you have? A 48 seems kind of fat, I'm running a 46 on a 95" with heads and a cv44.
                                                                                                 It's 95in. 03FXD. Joe Mondello did the heads, 10.5-1 comp. and Wood TW8G cams. The main jet is a .210 and it runs great up high. Around town it is a little rough, not bad but not perfect. I think it's lean and could be the fault of the manifold gaskets that's why I'm replacing those. I live at sea level on Maui too so that is a factor, thick air. Also I just want to see what I have in there. When I first got the bike new in 03 I was tentative about working on it and had a guy at a shop do some carb and pipes work. It ran a lot better and then a few years latter I did the 95in build. I put in the .210 jet at Maxheadflow's suggestion and it works great., but I don't know what the slow jet is and the tube and needle are yost I believe. I have the stock needl and tube and not sure If I should put those in or not.

Offline dogger

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
I replaced the allen head bolts with 12 point headed bolts. Makes it so incredibly easier to do the job when you have to do it again.

Offline trex

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 03:06:47 PM »
I finished the job and what a difference, but found out some surprises. When trying to get the first manifold bolt out it just wouldn't budge. looking inside though the gap between the manifold and heads was like a strong 1/16 on both sides and looked and felt good so I said the hell with it. Took the carb all apart and cleaned in a tub of simple green. I replaced the after market needle and emulsion tube with stock. Surprisingly the low speed jet was a 48 but some weird brand, no Kehin mark and the 48 was poorly stamped. I put in a new CV Perf. 48. All new rubber orings accelerator pump parts etc. Blew out all passages. I had a rubber cap on the vacuum outlet and it was in bad shape. I have a Pingle petcock so don't need the vacuum line. Whether it was the rubber plug allowing a leak or a passage plugged it runs good now. Did a second gear wheelie first time I really nailed it

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 03:10:24 PM »
I'll bet that plug was causing the issue.
Glad you got it going.
like, "You're late."

Offline trex

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
Thanks Hoss. Probably was that plug because the issue was relatively new, not like the jets had anything to do with it. Live and learn.