Author Topic: Rocker bushing reamer  (Read 558 times)

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
Rocker bushing reamer
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
Where is the most reasonable place to purchase one? I see the pricing is all over globe!

Online rbabos

Re: Rocker bushing reamer
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »
Where is the most reasonable place to purchase one? I see the pricing is all over globe!
Any custom reamers I needed I just order from a tool and cutter supply. They grind them to whatever you want.
Ron

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »
HD-94804-57 is the part number for the reamer. It looks to be a special reamer. Flutes are in the middle and the ends act has a guide. They are on e-bay and amazon and not cheap, going to cost you 200+ canuk bucks. Not a tool people want to lend out either to easy to screw up. What size is that hole? Wondering if a small adjustable reamer would work?  Bob

Offline jeffscycle

• 99 Dyna, XRD Racer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
unless your reconditioning roller types, rollers too?, with labor its probably more economical to just buy new ones.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Offline les

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »

I have the JIMS reamer and use it to refresh rocker arms.  The bushings are pretty cheap, so very economical to put in new ones and have the added benefit that the tips of the rocker arms are broken in and smooth.  Note that I also have the JIMS tool that presses them in, which makes the job refreshing rockers quick and easy.

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
HD-94804-57 is the part number for the reamer. It looks to be a special reamer. Flutes are in the middle and the ends act has a guide. They are on e-bay and amazon and not cheap, going to cost you 200+ canuk bucks. Not a tool people want to lend out either to easy to screw up. What size is that hole? Wondering if a small adjustable reamer would work?  Bob

It is a piloted reamer. Trying to do the job with a conventional reamer probably won't end well.

I could see the expense justified for a shop but for a one off... easier & cheaper to buy new.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »

It is a piloted reamer. Trying to do the job with a conventional reamer probably won't end well.

I could see the expense justified for a shop but for a one off... easier & cheaper to buy new.

Success with a reamer has lots to do with the operator. Takes a gentle hand and some patience. Not a job for the average home mechanic more for the guy who does this kind of work for a living. It will also depend what the hole size is adjustable reamers only go so small.  Bob

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:21:13 PM »

Success with a reamer has lots to do with the operator. Takes a gentle hand and some patience. Not a job for the average home mechanic more for the guy who does this kind of work for a living. It will also depend what the hole size is adjustable reamers only go so small.  Bob

While this is true for generic reamers, it is far from true for the reamer sold by Jim's.

As has been stated here previously, the Jims reamer has a long pilot shaft to register from the bushing at the other end of the rocker. arm. So easy a caveman can do it and achieve very good results. The down side is the reamer sold by Jim's is much more expensive that typical, off the shelf reamers of the same OD.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline fbn ent

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »
I bet George has one Bill.....
 :agree:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"
Hinton, Alberta

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »
Any custom reamers I needed I just order from a tool and cutter supply. They grind them to whatever you want.
Ron

Do you have some names? You're in a better area than me. I found one east coast USA but the cost is over $200 usd, plus $40 to ship & our peso isn't doing so well.

I wouldn't use an adjustable even with a pilot end, just from my past experience with them. Also that's a pretty small reamer & don't even know if they are available that small.

Not really a one off....I have lots of buds riding! :wink: :hyst:
New is not cheaper up here, S&S standard rockers over $425. :cry:

I bet George has one Bill.....
 :agree:

Yes, he probably has, but you never know what kind of mood the grouchy old bugger is going to be in when you darken his doorway.
I'm still remembering "the deal" he gave me about 15 years ago, plus it would be 2 trips to Edm. for me. May as well have the tool in my drawer & make somebody happy at the estate sale! :wink: :hyst:

Offline jeffscycle

• 99 Dyna, XRD Racer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »
   I just did a search, and in USA, you can get new OEM rockers for about $50 ea. (after market -$40), I know Dudly is probably more.  On literarily the other end of the issue, I find that the hard surfacing on the pads are far more likely to wear though, and bushing wear is semi -nominal as a major concern. If a bushing is worn .002-.003 out of round (.0035 is wear limit), it still is loaded upwards by spring & lifter pressure, so noise is the only serious consideration, and that's subjective. Oil will get though to the springs, and it won't cause a catastrophic failure. 
   If your still stuck on buying a Jim's ream, I seen one on Ebay for $188 shipped state side.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:44:14 AM by jeffscycle »
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
I know what you're saying.... & have taken into consideration the wear & pressure & know the depths of the hard surfacing.
I have many sets of OEM rockers that are take outs that customers never pick up. I'm building an engine where everything is brand new except the cases, rockers & covers. I may be a little anal but I would like to use longer bushings in the rockers & keep wear to a very minimum.
 Thanks for the heads up on flea bay. :up:

Offline les

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
   I just did a search, and in USA, you can get new OEM rockers for about $50 ea. (after market -$40), I know Dudly is probably more.  On literarily the other end of the issue, I find that the hard surfacing on the pads are far more likely to wear though, and bushing wear is semi -nominal as a major concern. If a bushing is worn .002-.003 out of round (.0035 is wear limit), it still is loaded upwards by spring & lifter pressure, so noise is the only serious consideration, and that's subjective. Oil will get though to the springs, and it won't cause a catastrophic failure. 
   If your still stuck on buying a Jim's ream, I seen one on Ebay for $188 shipped state side.

I recommend getting stuck on the JIMS tool.  I'd rather have the reamer tool in my toolbox rather than the checkbook tool.  More fun, at least for me it is.

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
What is the size needed?  I am in Edmonton and have some sources for machine shop tools.  Bob

Offline les

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »
What is the size needed?  I am in Edmonton and have some sources for machine shop tools.  Bob

Just an opinion...it's not only the size but also the configuration of the tool.  As mentioned, the JIMS has a pilot that assures the reaming goes straight.  Special made for the exact job.  The reaming can be done by hand over and over and each result repeatable and successful.

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »

Just an opinion...it's not only the size but also the configuration of the tool.  As mentioned, the JIMS has a pilot that assures the reaming goes straight.  Special made for the exact job.  The reaming can be done by hand over and over and each result repeatable and successful.

Re-read my post I asked the size said nothing about reamer type, Harley isn't the only thing that uses piloted reamers. How can a guy look for a piloted reamer with out the size? You don't need to repeat what was already posted. I realize Jims is a idiot proof tool, but we are not all idiots.   Bob

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 02:30:37 PM »

I recommend getting stuck on the JIMS tool.  I'd rather have the reamer tool in my toolbox rather than the checkbook tool.  More fun, at least for me it is.

I know EXACTLY what you are saying. :up:
More fun & a bigger estate sale! :hyst:

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »

.555" I believe is what Jim's is, although .5545" has also been mentioned, but that would be as rare as hen's teeth. :smileo:
And THANKS!  :beer:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:38:41 PM by koko3052 »

Offline bootit

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »
Try Aerosharp Tool Co. They are in Wisconsin. That,s where i got mine from.

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »
Thanks, I tried their site & it's pretty meager so I emailed them.

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »
Try MSC or Mcmastercarr you will not find it on the web site but they can have any size ground that you want.  It has been a while but they were not that expensive the last ones I got.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Offline HD Street Performance

• HD Street Performance
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 04:59:14 PM »
You can have a standard chucking reamer stepped for the pilot and ground to the proper cutting diameter

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
Try MSC or Mcmastercarr you will not find it on the web site but they can have any size ground that you want.  It has been a while but they were not that expensive the last ones I got.

Thanks for the names & I will research. :up:

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »
You can have a standard chucking reamer stepped for the pilot and ground to the proper cutting diameter

Yes, aware of that Don & I'm proceeding in that direction. Thanks. :up:

Offline les

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »

Yes, aware of that Don & I'm proceeding in that direction. Thanks. :up:

If you wouldn't mind, please let me know how much that work costs, including the cost of the standard chucking reamer.