Author Topic: Battery cable gauge  (Read 538 times)

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
Battery cable gauge
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
I am about to upgrade my battery cables to a larger wire. I am cranking a 120 at just over 200 CCP with a stock rated starter. I do have ECR's but am more interested in making sure I spend wisely and get the best cable size. I have the option of 4 gauge (Terry Components) or 2 gauge (by Taylor / Sumax). Both of these cables come fitted with the aux. wires attached and seem to be nice items.

I like the idea of the 2 gauge but have a couple of questions to those that may have experienced both sizes.

The #2 cable will be larger and I have concerns about it fitting without having a bad chafing point. Do they route freely to their terminals?

The other concern ... is the 4 gauge so close to the 2 gauge that it absolutely will not matter between the two sizes? I do not want to cheap out if I am going through the trouble and expense of changing them.   
KD

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
Re: Battery cable gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
Well I searched the site and found what I think I was looking for. There was plenty of comments about the minor change to 4 gauge and non against the # 2.  Ill go with the 2 gauge Taylor/Sumax cable for the extra money and be done with it. As an added bonus they come with the six wires right in the connector at the battery.
KD

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 06:58:51 AM »
I just buy stranded welding wire with the right size T&B crimp connectors. Frank

Offline JohnCA58

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:18:58 AM »
I just buy stranded welding wire with the right size T&B crimp connectors. Frank

I do the same, and welding cable is more flexible which is needed because how short the cables are. remember the grounds cable need to be the same size as the positive.
YOLO

Online FXDBI

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:30 AM »

I do the same, and welding cable is more flexible which is needed because how short the cables are. remember the grounds cable need to be the same size as the positive.

Pretty much what they make them with. They also do solder on connections. I priced it all out before to do them has professional. You cant do them for what you can buy them for unless you buy in the bulk and make several sets.  Bob

https://www.delcity.net/store/Battery-Lugs,-Cable-Ends,-&-Crimp-Tools/p_102

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
In fact I do have a selection of welding cable and ends. I have made many battery and jumper cable sets with different sizes of the same. My concern here is the fatter cable being routed through tight spaces. Welding cable covering is thinner, softer and more prone to wear and oil residue. Put those conditions together with the vibration of a V twin and I can foresee the result if you know what I mean. I hate to spend the money when I have the material to make them but I have to pay attention to my spydie senses on this one. My reading seems to indicate these cables at least have a tougher insulation.
KD

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »
I'm sure that you have done your homework but for others w/o the experience.
The #2 or #4, or any other is the size of the "bundle" of wire with the insulation. Good welding cable will be made of very tiny wires in the bundle & that is also what makes them flexible. Current travels on the outside of the strands, so the more strands there are, the more current will get thru. So make sure that the manufactured sets have very fine wires. :up:

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
 :agree:  I have highlighted the 2 points that pried the cash out of my hands.  I also like that they have the aux. leads incorporated and sealed under the heat shrink at the terminal lug.

I have 2 sets of 20' jumper cables made from heavy gauge welding cable that weigh a ton but never disappoint. I have experienced store bought jumpers that wouldn't test spin a heavy diesel starter on the floor. They looked reasonable until you saw the strand count.

"Uniquely designed all black 2 ga. 180 amp rated battery cable by Taylor/Sumax is The Ultimate High Performance Battery Cable.

These very fat and very flexible cables will transfer more cranking power with less voltage drop than any other cable on the market. Over 2000 bare strands of copper wire are covered with special vinyl insulation that is covered by a synthetic thermo rubber jacket.

Terminals are closed-barrel style made of tinned copper (1/4 & 5/16 eyelets). Sealed insulated black heat shrink-tubing means no moisture will get in these cables. 100% made in the USA Cables are available in kit form for your Harley Davidson motorcycle."

KD

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »
I'll look them up for my use too. thx. :up:

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:08:07 AM »
FYI Eastern Performance seems to be as low priced as any. It appears after reading the availability that they may not stock the #2 gauge option but will supply on an ordered basis.  :idunno:  My set is the 22017 for 09 to 16 FL and is about the lowest price I've seen.

I returned to this post to change the reference to the cables. It's from the maker and way easier to find what you may need. I ordered from them because they had what I needed for the same price and Eastern Performance being out of stock would not accept an order. I'll try to update how they fit and perform when I get that far.

http://www.sumax.com/battery_cables.html

Update:  The Sumax folks just emailed me and they are 2 weeks away from stock too. They must be popular.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:10:15 PM by kd »
KD

Offline FurryOne

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »
Current travels on the outside of the strands, so the more strands there are, the more current will get thru.

Not at DC.  As you approach high frequencies it tends to "skin", but not at DC.  That's why we use waveguide for Radar.

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 08:18:05 PM »
Care to elaborate because what you just said is Greek to me. :scratch:

Offline Deye76

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 04:56:09 AM »
Wish Yooper cables were still around.
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline EL in NH

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »
Taylorvertex.com   Try the makers site. Ignore it only lists FLs up to 09.  When you selle t the cable you can select later years crom the menu.
Regards