Author Topic: Petcock no reserve  (Read 459 times)

Offline hogpipes1

• 49 FL Pan My 1st Bike in 1963
Petcock no reserve
« on: February 07, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »
Friends kid runs out of gas with 01 sporty that  never hit reserve. I looked in  tank with flash light  and bone dry. put a gal in and a gal comes out  w/o being on res. Took it out of tank and i can't see anything  wrong  with it .. It's the old style  w/o the vac line .  It does work when switched to res- but as is it should  have about a qt. of gas  left once it starts the sputter and die out. What's up?

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
Re: Petcock no reserve
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:14:40 AM »
Is there a  rack at the base of the main tube? Is it loose?
Either way, I would try a new one.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline hogpipes1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:23:36 AM »
Nope , stand pipe is tight. i will switch it out with one i have around and take the other apart. Simple damn thing should work as desiged, every day all day. But Life doesn't  call for that. Took a hr waiting after the call home for gas ,  he said no one stoped . Guess that's a  plus for cell ph's.   Yrs ago if you been riding long enough ,  sitting with flat tire or out of gas , a thumb in the wind got you a fast ride to a station.  Not going to happen often today.

Offline dwjohnson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:34:28 AM »
 Not trying to be a wise guy, but are you 100% positive it's on reserve? I've seen this happen before, many cases where people have the valve turned backwards cause it looks like that's the right way or the logical way it should be. Seen a few Harley petcocks different from one another also. There should be an arrow on the valve handle if you look close enough.

Offline hogpipes1

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »
Wise guys are welcome ! that's how we get along. It ran out while lever stright down . that's on . w/o  getting to reserve.

Offline bigfoot5x

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
I have to agree with dwjohnson. I bet it was on reserve. We've had several Sportsters although none currently and it has been a few years but.... I remember looking at the petcock closely one day. I think that opposite the lever is a little pointer. You might be thinking the lever is showing you "on" but the tiny point is showing reserve. Turn  the lever 180 degrees. Put some gas in it and see if it runs out and then goes to reserve when flipped again.

It's been more than 10 years since having a Sportster but I remember looking at it and going "Sh*t" we've been running this the wrong way for a long time. My wife never ran out of gas because I knew the mpg it got. We always flipped the trip odometer and kept track of miles ridden but when I saw what we were doing wrong, I counted my blessings we never ran out of gas.

Offline hogpipes1

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
H-D valve   in bike  now it's a non vac-.  lever style pre 90.  res is@  12 ,  off @ 9 ,   on @ 6 , can't screw it up or flip any plate around. Took it apart  the nylon cone can only be put in the right way to work Has 2 notches one a little wider than other. You would have too turn the guts unside down too fit and it won't work. Ok tried a china one , same shit  pulled apart the cheap gasket is worn and won't seal between on and res - so thats a internal leak.  res-is @ 7 , 6 is on , 5 is off . H-D one i had on the table ,air goes threw when on , but not threw res- until turned to that position, and nothing of course threw off.
 So my conclusion  that has a internal leak with gas in the on position leaking over to the res-hole in   the nylon cone. I put a gal in and can see the screen /petcock . a gal drains out , flip to res-- a few drops.   Has to be alot of bikes out there with old style shut off  that are in for a surprize when they hit the res-. I told the kid  either get a new one , forget the cheap china chrome  with cheap gasket inside. or  use what you have   along with speedo /miles . get a 100 miles fill it up. Going to be checking my own 3 bikes with non/vac petcocks,  just to make sure i has some res- left.

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »
Get a Pingel and all problems solved.

Offline hogpipes1

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »
Not my problem, advise given to the kid . Alot of gas you can put in the tank for the $$$ of a pingle.  he for sure is short on $$$$. Fill the tank ck the miles  will have to work for  him.

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 12:17:04 PM »
an 01 Sporty should be like this, the function is what the handle is over, not what it's pointing to

Offline hogpipes1

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
That's the one. The kid or i should say young man 30 + now, knows which way the lever goes, just never ran the tank low enough before. It's all good now . Thanks.

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
Yup, good cheap fix.