Author Topic: ABS Brake Recall - What is HD going to do  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Boe Cole

ABS Brake Recall - What is HD going to do
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
Have an 11RGU with the ABS brakes.  Have bled out the brake fluid every winter replacing it with fresh fluid but making sure no air got into the system.  I do not have the electronic equipment to exercise the valves and have often thought to take it to the dealer to have them exercise the valves with their equipment, but being a little lazy, just have not done so.  Have noticed the valves "appear" to be working properly when I test them on damp grass by locking up the front and back.

My question is - Is HD going to plug in the abs to their equipment to exercise the valves or just replace the fluid - or both?  Does anyone know??

Thanking you all in advance for an answer,
Boe
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Online rbabos

Re: ABS Brake Recall - What is HD going to do
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
Have an 11RGU with the ABS brakes.  Have bled out the brake fluid every winter replacing it with fresh fluid but making sure no air got into the system.  I do not have the electronic equipment to exercise the valves and have often thought to take it to the dealer to have them exercise the valves with their equipment, but being a little lazy, just have not done so.  Have noticed the valves "appear" to be working properly when I test them on damp grass by locking up the front and back.

My question is - Is HD going to plug in the abs to their equipment to exercise the valves or just replace the fluid - or both?  Does anyone know??

Thanking you all in advance for an answer,
Boe
Both would need to be done to be done right.
Ron

Offline Ancient

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
Of course the correct procedure requires them to be activated several times with their digital tech.

Now is every mechanic at every dealer going to follow the procedure to the letter? Your guess is as good as mine.
Greg

Offline road-dawgs1

• Road Dawgs (Vermont chapter)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
Replace fluid with new “HD Platinum” dot 4 which won’t be at dealers until March and bleed on digital tech free of charge.

From their site:

If covered, the dealer will flush the entire brake system with a new fluid [H-D Platinum Label DOT 4 Brake Fluid] using Digital Tech II. Owners will also be reminded of the 2-year maintenance cycle specified in the Owner's Manual. As noted, this condition is associated with delayed or neglected brake fluid maintenance as specified in the Owner's Manual. Harley-Davidson does not intend to reimburse owners under its Reimbursement Program for costs incurred related to prior brake fluid flushes. However, Harley-Davidson is offering the remedy fluid flush (using the new H-D Platinum Label DOT 4 Brake Fluid) free of charge to all motorcycles within the recall population, regardless of their maintenance history.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:46:42 PM by road-dawgs1 »
'08 anniversary Ultra with stuff

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »
The dealers will have to do the service correct or the mother ship will know. Everything done in DigTech is sent back as a cya record on this stuff.
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline Latrobedyna

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
Is there a actual copy of the recall notice?  A friend has the     2010 FLHTCUTG TRI GLIDE™ ULTRA CLASSIC i swore i read where it was included but now i cant find  :turd: about it anywhere. Wouldn't the trike have same ABS system on it? And yes it does indeed have ABS. Thanks Jeff
2006 FXDB , 95" 57H +4% cam, 10:25 pistons: Ported head's. Lots a fun

Offline hogpipes1

• 49 FL Pan My 1st Bike in 1963
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 03:05:23 PM »
Is the new fluid better than reg dot 4 if used in non ABS bikes?

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
KD

Offline Latrobedyna

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
 :up:
2006 FXDB , 95" 57H +4% cam, 10:25 pistons: Ported head's. Lots a fun

Offline Ancient

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
The dealers will have to do the service correct or the mother ship will know. Everything done in DigTech is sent back as a cya record on this stuff.

Good to hear. Didn't know that. :up:
Greg

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
Is there a actual copy of the recall notice?  A friend has the     2010 FLHTCUTG TRI GLIDE™ ULTRA CLASSIC i swore i read where it was included but now i cant find  :turd: about it anywhere. Wouldn't the trike have same ABS system on it? And yes it does indeed have ABS. Thanks Jeff

Go to HD's site and put your VIN number in the safety and recall notices section.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 04:13:34 PM »
And yes it does indeed have ABS.

and you know this because ?

https://i.imgur.com/nrHRlYQ.png

Offline twincamzz

• Site Supporter
  • 1961 Duo-Glide , 2017 Ultra Limited Low
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 05:20:44 AM »
I know I have read here on HTT about a scan tool (not digital technician dealers use ) that allows an individual like myself to exercise the ABS module on a 2017 Limited however I cannot remember the name of said tool. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction ?

Offline KEM

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 05:43:57 AM »
Daytona Twin Tec Twinscan III ABS is the tool for CANbus. Twinscan II ABS is for bikes w/o CANbus.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan3.html

Offline twincamzz

• Site Supporter
  • 1961 Duo-Glide , 2017 Ultra Limited Low
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 05:48:58 AM »
Daytona Twin Tec Twinscan III ABS is the tool for CANbus. Twinscan II ABS is for bikes w/o CANbus.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan3.html

Thank you !

Online rbabos

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 06:15:20 AM »
Is the new fluid better than reg dot 4 if used in non ABS bikes?
Is HD antifreeze better then any other brand? Mind you the price would make you believe it was blended by time travellers from the future. I recently bought another brand and it was more money then say another well known brand. I asked what is better about this then that. He said the price. :hyst:
Ron

Offline PIRSCH FIRE WAGON

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 06:29:21 AM »
Here ya go
Tom

Online rbabos

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 07:05:17 AM »
Here ya go
What I get out of that is you MUST use the HD brake fluid. What a bunch of BS. Ok for the recall since it's free, but where does one stand later for self service and compliance to the owners manual?  Did I say total complete BS.
Ron

Offline 14GuineaPig

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »
Is there a actual copy of the recall notice?  A friend has the     2010 FLHTCUTG TRI GLIDE™ ULTRA CLASSIC i swore i read where it was included but now i cant find  :turd: about it anywhere. Wouldn't the trike have same ABS system on it? And yes it does indeed have ABS. Thanks Jeff

The 2010 Trike did not have ABS.  You can look at the parts finder and see that no abs parts were offered.  The trike had a partial "linked" brake system in 2014 where the rear brake pedal activated "some" of the pistons in the front brake calipers but I don't THINK that they had ABS.

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 07:47:30 AM »
I won't be taking my '09 bike into HD for the recall. I have a Twin Scan II and have once bled the system this past summer. I don't know how much of a difference there really is in brake fluids, but I elected to use Motul RBF600. It's a synthetic brake fluid, they package it with nitrogen in the bottle rather than air. The reason being less opportunity for moisture absorption while its in storage. Does that really matter? Maybe when you think of where the bottles live and travel, in non climate controlled environments. Hot warehouses or cold, hot or very cold trucks while riding across the country. The temperature changes causes moisture, so maybe you get a little more stable product.   :idunno:

They also claim it to have a higher boiling point in severe usage, not that I'll probably ever test that, but that doesn't hurt at all either.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/rbf-600-factory-line

www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »

tri-glides don't have ABS so they are not part of the recall..

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
you can "exercise" your brakes with our a scan tool,, once of twice a year find a quiet road,, and hammer the brakes, causing he ABS to cycle,, you don't have to come to a complete stop to do this, just dynamite the brakes until you are at about 20mph,, good practice anyway! I tell everybody that buys a bike with ABS to do this at least once a year!

Online rbabos

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
I won't be taking my '09 bike into HD for the recall. I have a Twin Scan II and have once bled the system this past summer. I don't know how much of a difference there really is in brake fluids, but I elected to use Motul RBF600. It's a synthetic brake fluid, they package it with nitrogen in the bottle rather than air. The reason being less opportunity for moisture absorption while its in storage. Does that really matter? Maybe when you think of where the bottles live and travel, in non climate controlled environments. Hot warehouses or cold, hot or very cold trucks while riding across the country. The temperature changes causes moisture, so maybe you get a little more stable product.   :idunno:

They also claim it to have a higher boiling point in severe usage, not that I'll probably ever test that, but that doesn't hurt at all either.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/rbf-600-factory-line
I have to wonder how much of this is factory induced from piss poor material handling or practices at the factory. I can tell you, on my clutch master I had great gobs of solids in the bottom. This is on a new bike with only 200 miles on it. Fortunately the brake fluids front and rear were clean. While the clutch has had two changes since, it has remained fairly clean and no more solids in the master.  I've read of several bikes, new have moisture contents already at the point where the fluid should be changed. Again factory fluid induced in some shape or form.

Ron

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 08:02:41 AM »
I guess the whole point of this being an issue, is the HD system isn't the normal. Having to manually exercise the unit is really just silly that you have to. I mean how would you look at the Ford dealer if he told you to find an open road once a month and activate your ABS unit? Someone tells me this while I'm buying a new vehicle, and I'm not buying the vehicle. I bought my '09 in '10, as a used bike. I had never heard about any HD ABS issues until a few years after that. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought this bike. I would have found a non ABS bike, like my '08, it's non ABS. 
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
Here ya go
What I get out of that is you MUST use the HD brake fluid. What a bunch of BS. Ok for the recall since it's free, but where does one stand later for self service and compliance to the owners manual?  Did I say total complete BS.
Ron

If a specific HD fluid is required, don't they have to provide it for free for the lifetime of the vehicle, per the Moss-Magnusen (sp ?) act?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.