Author Topic: Noise after cam install  (Read 1009 times)

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
Re: Noise after cam install
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 04:37:01 PM »
Delete
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline barrygreen

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 06:33:12 AM »
I will say this, the oil Axtell bypass valve has little to no pressure on the spring, I can just touch it and it will push down. This kit comes with 2 caps that allows it to work in all OEM plates..and it said to use the thicker cap for stock, i did. That is the only thing I can find. The stock one takes a bit of pressure, a lot more than the Axtell to push in far enough to install the pin.
I will get it back together and report back.
You all have been very helpful!

Offline DTTJGlide

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »
I hope you have found the problem, but with the oil pressure you reported I'm not convinced it was the fault of the Axtell pressure relief valve.

Offline barrygreen

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »
Happy to report that it is fixed, took out the Axtell oil valve and put the stock plunger in with a Baisely spring.
Lifters are set @.150
Oil pressure is higher and the engine is quiet.

Thanks again!

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
Very interesting. Glad to hear it. Do you think the Axtel valve inner center port needle valve was / could have been hung up and bypassing at too low of a pressure signal? Others report good success using that device so there must have been some quirky thing happening.
KD

Offline barrygreen

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
Very interesting. Glad to hear it. Do you think the Axtel valve inner center port needle valve was / could have been hung up and bypassing at too low of a pressure signal? Others report good success using that device so there must have been some quirky thing happening.

It was clean when I took it out an functional. But like I said it had no pressure on the spring, you could drop the valve into the hole with the spring and recommended cap and just push the pin with minimal pressure on the cap. Nothing like the stock spring or the Baiselys.

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »
Happy to report that it is fixed, took out the Axtell oil valve and put the stock plunger in with a Baisely spring.
Lifters are set @.150

Thanks again!

Great that you have it fixed.
What is the low and high oil pressure now?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Offline barrygreen

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
Lifters are set @.150

Thanks again!

Great that you have it fixed.
What is the low and high oil pressure now?

I only have running in the garage right now, it was sleeting this AM. But I can say Idling (925rpm) with a head temp of 215* it was at 29, Head temp @ 225* @ 2500 no load was 52.
I was monitoring the head temp on my T_Max software. Air temp in the garage according to the Infotainment screen was 55*along with the oil pressures.

Offline DTTJGlide

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »
Glad that fixed it, I've seen a couple that were quirky, but they would read low on pressure, have used one myself & have never figured out why they will read lower than normal cold & then higher after warmed up :idunno:

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
It's possible there's an irregularity in the bore of the cam plate. From what I've heard the Axtell kit, it's susceptible to minor shape issues or abnormalities in the bore. The OEM plunger maybe not as much.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline barrygreen

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 05:33:20 AM »
It's possible there's an irregularity in the bore of the cam plate. From what I've heard the Axtell kit, it's susceptible to minor shape issues or abnormalities in the bore. The OEM plunger maybe not as much.

I could see that, I was almost like the bore was too deep, like I said installing it there was no pressure on the spring.