Author Topic: 2014 Ultra Limited  (Read 170 times)

Offline scootertrash1

• Site Supporter
  • Saddle Up
2014 Ultra Limited
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »
My son bought this 2014 Limited bike used. It has a Vance and Hines X pipe on it. He also has a V&H tuner installed. It's how he bought it. He downloaded the App to his phone and has it set to Auto tune. He has a healthy back fire to it. I told him to check head pipe torque and find cylinder head header bolts very loose. Upon checking the front cylinder header very loose and double nutted. He can unscrew the exhaust studs from front cylinder with his fingers. I say he can double nut the stud and install tighter, but the double nut setup is not correct for flange and holding front header pipe in place. Right now, we only have 2010 HD manual but this don't seem right as it does not discuss stud placement.
Any help on stud installation and did the 2014 header installation come double nutted? I don't think so!
Peace,
Scootertrash.............

Offline road-dawgs1

• Road Dawgs (Vermont chapter)
Re: 2014 Ultra Limited
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
Didnít come double nutted from factory, same studs as used from years past, evo and on up.
'08 anniversary Ultra with stuff

Online Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
So you're saying the stud is loose and is unscrewing from the head? Hopefully the threads are not stripped in the head. If not, the stud can be tightened back up using the double nuts (tightening the stud only, not the exhaust with it, don't over tighten, get good and snug), and then the double nuts removed, tighten down the exhaust using a single nut.
No shirt, no shoes, but I still get service.
Why? Girl, look at this body!

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »
Someone probably double nutted the stud because they thought the nut was loosening, when it was probably the stud backing out. That being said, I never say a stud back out of the head on it's own.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Online Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
I have a feeling the stud backed out when the exhaust was changed, and wasn't re-installed properly. Then, like Ohio says, the stud was coming out, and was not diagnosed properly.
No shirt, no shoes, but I still get service.
Why? Girl, look at this body!