Author Topic: 1.7 Roller rockers on intake valves  (Read 756 times)

Offline 03NhHarley

• Site Supporter
1.7 Roller rockers on intake valves
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »
Im trying to help a friend plan a motor build. I have a set of Baisley 1.7 roller rockers for the intakes and stock rockers on the exhaust. Is it okay to have rollerson one and not the other? Planning to use S&S 585s cams

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
Re: 1.7 Roller rockers on intake valves
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
No reason that you can't mix them.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline jsachs1

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »
Of course you can. :up: If the valve spring can accommodate them.
John

Offline 03NhHarley

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »
Thanks guys. I didnt think it would be a problem.  Now he just needs to get the money to do the motor haha. He scissored the crank and we want to build it right the first time.

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
Any more info on how he scissored the crank? HP/TQ?

Don't hear many of those stories these days.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Offline 03NhHarley

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 03:43:06 AM »
Any more info on how he scissored the crank? HP/TQ?

Don't hear many of those stories these days.

Hahaha.  Rolling burnouts and wheelies on an 05 Deuce. He rides a gear lower than everyone else always ready to race. I'm surprised he hasn't overheated the bike too. It did burn a ton of oil.

Offline N-gin

• Site Supporter
  • \,,/ (>.<) \,,/ Brraaaaap!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
Just make sure you use the standard rocker not the corrected one, unless your heads are done for corrected.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Offline 03NhHarley

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Just make sure you use the standard rocker not the corrected one, unless your heads are done for corrected.

I believe they are corrected ones.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
They are not truly corrected unless they match the cam lift specs, valve stems and head deck. They may have been for some previous set up, but you would need those heads and cam specs to be able to call them that. 
KD

Offline N-gin

• Site Supporter
  • \,,/ (>.<) \,,/ Brraaaaap!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »
Yeah your going to need the heads corrected... The valves need to be a certain height, or its going to be way off..
DO you have a part number? they should be stamped on the arm. this will tell you exactly what they are and what they fit (stock or corrected).
I was looking for a set about 4 months ago to test out.

Many of the Gentlemen head gurus on here will take care of the needed correction with those arms.  If you decide to go with them.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »
As said, Mr. Baisley may be able to tell you from his etched numbers what they were for. You may be asked who the original owner was so he can reference the job. He had pretty good records when I needed to confirm something.
KD

Offline 03NhHarley

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 04:25:16 AM »
As said, Mr. Baisley may be able to tell you from his etched numbers what they were for. You may be asked who the original owner was so he can reference the job. He had pretty good records when I needed to confirm something.

I bought them used. I was going to put them in my 117 with S&S 585 cams. I dont feel like pulling the heads to check p to v clearance.

The rockers have etched in them. 1.7 FL-H   and 8TM 32808

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 05:53:05 AM »

I bought them used. I was going to put them in my 117 with S&S 585 cams. I dont feel like pulling the heads to check p to v clearance.

The rockers have etched in them. 1.7 FL-H   and 8TM 32808

IIRC the last numbers will be the work order reference and that is how they can tell what was originally done with them. It may give the lift and any other head decking info you can use. I would check mine to compare but they are in the engine.   :nix:
KD

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 09:16:54 AM »
Corrected rockers from Baisley are not specific to a job. You state the ratio and he makes them. Protrusion and top head cut change.
They are not compatible with standard protrusions and valve gear.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 09:56:17 AM »
Corrected rockers from Baisley are not specific to a job. You state the ratio and he makes them. Protrusion and top head cut change.

That's what he did with mine too. The cut dimensions are actually stamped on the head surfaces that were machined. I suppose whether or not the OEM dimension it was cut from is an accurate constant size will be important to know how the final height is achieved and what it is. I am not sure if his records will tell or he just shoots for a known number.  :nix:
KD

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 04:00:04 AM »

That's what he did with mine too. The cut dimensions are actually stamped on the head surfaces that were machined. I suppose whether or not the OEM dimension it was cut from is an accurate constant size will be important to know how the final height is achieved and what it is. I am not sure if his records will tell or he just shoots for a known number.  :nix:

With the Baisley corrected geometry system it is the head cut and stem length that are cam lift specific not the rocker it's self. Once he welds the new new tip on to the rocker at the ratio you request the new rocker geometry is locked in and you change your valve stem length and move the rocker pivot height to adjust the entire rocker box up or down by cutting the head and or shimming the box. This adjusts everything on the valve side to 90 degrees at half cam lift and the pushrods much closer than stock and makes every rocker position specific.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 06:23:22 AM »
Yes true but
Do not run corrected rockers on a engine that has not had the protrusion and head top height adjusted per Baisleys instructions. It will be a mess I promise you. A 1.7 even bigger mess.

The Baisley corrected 1.7 rockers complicates the problems because the tip length is lengthened. These can work beautifully when all the rest of the valve trains' geometry is corrected but then not in a 1.7 intake and 1.625 configuration. It is one or the other. All corrected with corrected single ratio rockers or non corrected as a bolt-on.

If you want 1.7 roller rockers on the intake only I suggest an off the shelf solution such as S&S.
My opinion the roller is not needed and a Harley 1.7 ratio conventional rocker arm would work great.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:40:25 AM by HD Street Performance »