Author Topic: Head Temperature and oil temp sensors  (Read 447 times)

Offline dynabagger

Head Temperature and oil temp sensors
« on: February 11, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
Thought I'd pose a question here. My bike is a carbed 2001 dyna. Last year, I thought about adding an oil temperature gauge so I bought an AEM automotive 52 mm gauge and made a nice little bracket to mount to my bars. I added a tee fitting to the oil pressure port in the front right side of the case. Unfortunately Dynas oil pans do have room for the sensor otherwise I would have gone to the pan.

I don't like the install mainly because the tee with the oil pressure sender and the temp sensor move around and is bulky. It doesn't tighten without running into the oil filter bracket so I remove the bracket but where it ends up is bad because of bracket or exhaust clearances. So, I'm curious if the AEM thermistor operates at the same specs as the Harley head temperature sensor does, which I believe is also a thermister? In this (AEM) case 0-5v whereas 0V = 0 deg F and 4.92V = 303 deg F. If so, I will monitor the front rear head temperature up to 300 deg and get an oil temperature dip stick. FWIW, in this climate I doubt I'll see over 300 deg much if ever at the rear of the front head. Then again, I could be wrong I just haven't seen it with my IR gun.

What do you think, will this work?

2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Offline IronButt70

Re: Head Temperature and oil temp sensors
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:43:30 AM »
Don't know if your bike has them but I used the oil gallery passages to install oil temp and pressure gauges on my 17 softail. You can see pics etc. here.
Rollin down lifes hiway never looking back cuz something might be gaining on me

Offline dynabagger

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
Don't know if your bike has them but I used the oil gallery passages to install oil temp and pressure gauges on my 17 softail. You can see pics etc. here.

Thanks for the link. I don't have the extra galleries. I'll probably just buy the head sensor and try it. I'd have thought someone would have done this and be able to share the results.
2001 FXDXT, 117"

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
The galleries are part of the case machining process. I believe you should have them. They are located on the rt frt corner of the engine facing forward and to the rt of the oil filter base adapter. In the link offered  by IronButt by clicking on the highlighted "here" it will be the first pic.
KD

Offline longshooter

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
Dynabagger,

Itís been quite a while since Iíve had to deal with one but, I believe the head temp sensor works strictly on resistance. There is no 5 volt reference signal to it. Please verify this just to check my memory and possibly save you some money.

longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:22:28 AM »
The galleries are part of the case machining process. I believe you should have them. They are located on the rt frt corner of the engine facing forward and to the rt of the oil filter base adapter. In the link offered  by IronButt by clicking on the highlighted "here" it will be the first pic.

I believe that is softail only application as on the A engines the oil filter mount is removable from the engine.

Offline dynabagger

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »

I believe that is softail only application as on the A engines the oil filter mount is removable from the engine.
[/quote]

This is the case with mine.
2001 FXDXT, 117"

Offline dynabagger

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:09:29 PM »
Dynabagger,

Itís been quite a while since Iíve had to deal with one but, I believe the head temp sensor works strictly on resistance. There is no 5 volt reference signal to it. Please verify this just to check my memory and possibly save you some money.

longshooter

If it works on resistance I assume it is an RTD? 2 wire or 3 wire? If 3 wire it is likely an RTD. I might just adapt my thermistor to the threaded hole in the head and hope the higher temps don't ruin it.
2001 FXDXT, 117"

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
koko, both of my twin cam A engines (2011/103 & 2013/120R) have 2 plugs on front of the engine crankcase casting like in the p for the filter mount. The adapter is only used (in my case) in conjunction with an oil cooler. Neither of my evo's have these ports.
KD

Offline PIRSCH FIRE WAGON

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:48:52 PM »
I "Think" I know what you're talking about.

You are correct. A Thermister varies the resistance and that voltage is signaled to the PCM, the PCM converts it to readable values on thinks like Digital Scan Tools or Gauge Clusters. The same is true with a stand alone Gauge set using a Thermister.

Why no just use the Drain Plug with a Nipple. It's only removed during Oil Changes. A Spade connector would make it easy. I can't imagine the Delta's would be that different (perhaps 10*F) once at operating Temperatures.
Tom

Offline dynabagger

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »
I "Think" I know what you're talking about.

You are correct. A Thermister varies the resistance and that voltage is signaled to the PCM, the PCM converts it to readable values on thinks like Digital Scan Tools or Gauge Clusters. The same is true with a stand alone Gauge set using a Thermister.

Why no just use the Drain Plug with a Nipple. It's only removed during Oil Changes. A Spade connector would make it easy. I can't imagine the Delta's would be that different (perhaps 10*F) once at operating Temperatures.

Tom, that was a thought I had but never pursued measuring clearances. I get nervous about any oil fitting that could get whacked under the bike such as when I'm putting my lift under. Thanks for your input, I'll have another look at it.
2001 FXDXT, 117"

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
koko, both of my twin cam A engines (2011/103 & 2013/120R) have 2 plugs on front of the engine crankcase casting like in the p for the filter mount. The adapter is only used (in my case) in conjunction with an oil cooler. Neither of my evo's have these ports.

Is the filter housing removable also? I don't look at much '07 & up. :hyst:
 I even looked at my '05 B engine tonight with thoughts of cutting off the housing, tapping the oil galleries & mounting a remote filter. would be a lot neater that bolting a "conversion" onto the original housing. But thinking about the "added strength" that part gives the B case....may not be such a bright idea! :potstir:
 Does anyone have a right side B case that they would care to donate? :hyst:

Offline speedzter

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 01:17:35 AM »
I use a trail tech (TTO) spark plug temperature gauge to measure cylinder head temps.
I mount the sensor under the hex screw used to plug the hole in the early bikes.

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 07:27:54 AM »
That is a nice small gauge & I know the type used as we used to put them on skidoos back in the day when they weren't standard issue.

Offline dynabagger

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »
I use a trail tech (TTO) spark plug temperature gauge to measure cylinder head temps.
I mount the sensor under the hex screw used to plug the hole in the early bikes.

Speedzter, if I understand what you did was put the sensor under the screw where the head temp sensor would go in the rear of the front head? I like it.
2001 FXDXT, 117"

Offline speedzter

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »
Yes, that's what I did. Can't remember the size, I think it was the 12mm unit I used.

Offline ecir50

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »
cool gadget  :up: