Author Topic: swing arm bearings vs rubber  (Read 408 times)

Offline rwpete

swing arm bearings vs rubber
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
Vibration is somewhat subjective but I have significantly more on my FXR with spherical bearings than my Dyna with the rubber mounts.
Anyone with SPECIFIC knowledge in experimenting with the poly or rubber vs the spherical bearings ?

Offline hdbikedoc

Re: swing arm bearings vs rubber
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »
fxr should have less maybe something is loading the powertrain sometimes it the exhaust mounting or link mounts loaded , or powertrain is touching the frame some ware
 I prefer clev blocks over spherical but that's my opinion  and shouldn't make a difference with vibration as long as they are installed and aligned properly
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

Offline rwpete

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
Thanks Doc, I'll check that.

Bike is in mock up stage and I have some drag pipes from a wrecked on it.  Front pipe has a 1/2 " deep dent two inches from the head. Could that cause imbalance in the motor that would cause the vibration ?

Offline N-gin

• Site Supporter
  • \,,/ (>.<) \,,/ Brraaaaap!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 12:35:08 AM »
Vibrations at cruise or at standing still?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Offline rwpete

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:49:45 AM »
Both but more noticeable when reving motor.

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
Thanks Doc, I'll check that.

Bike is in mock up stage and I have some drag pipes from a wrecked on it.  Front pipe has a 1/2 " deep dent two inches from the head. Could that cause imbalance in the motor that would cause the vibration ?
   no

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
Vibration is somewhat subjective but I have significantly more on my FXR with spherical bearings than my Dyna with the rubber mounts.
Anyone with SPECIFIC knowledge in experimenting with the poly or rubber vs the spherical bearings ?

I have run just about every combination of swing arm bearings and rubber isolators in my FXR's, but my experience with the dyna platform is very limited. IME, over many, many years of owning multiple, large displacement FXRs, is that the bearings/bushings/cleveblocks inside the swingarm do not really affect the vibration transmitted to the frame. The rubbers, both front and rear is where the differences in felt vibration comes from. The Glide Pro stuff (front and rear) seems to be the softest, followed by Harley OEM and then the aftermarket catalog stuff being the hardest.

From the sound of it, you are on the right track of looking for something on the drive train making contact with the chassis. Common areas on the FXR to check is the rear exhaust pipe to oil tank, right side foot peg mount to exhaust, everything having to do with the driver floor boards (if equipped), worn mounting bolts for the stabilizer links, exhaust pipe to swingarm pivot block (especially aftermarket billet blocks), loose engine and transmission mounting bolts (to include pivot shaft). I am sure there are a few more places I have missed.IME, the FXR is much smoother than the dyna.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.