Author Topic: Compensaver tray only  (Read 6690 times)

Online GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
Compensaver tray only
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:24:31 AM »
We have been looking at many of the new SE comp units and we are still seeing a good amount of wear on the sprocket and ramp. We have modified the tray to work with it. The tray will now be flooding the spokes and ramp with lubrication.

www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline Olivepearl

• I'm Old enough so what's your problem!
Re: Compensaver tray only
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:09:08 AM »
What type of lube are you using?

Robert

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:43:34 AM »
Good deal Steve.  :up:
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Online GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
I have guys using everything. I have two with ATF in them one being my own and that pic is of a outer cover that was modded with the old style hence the extra removal of ribbing. We are not going to state that one type of fluid is best that will be up to the end user. I can say that the new style comp from Harley is still not getting enough fluid to the spokes. We have taken several dozen of these apart all are showing gouging of the spokes and we are much more pieces of metal in the oil. We are seeing almost no oil getting through to lube the spokes with the stock system. So this tray will solve that issue. Not going to get into a debate over this. We know what we are seeing first hand. The sample pics here speak very clearly. You are looking at 1538 miles with stock fluid. It is not going to be a huge wear item in short miles. But in time the wear will continue. The big issue is that the metal is also getting into the clutch pack, hub bearing and inner primary bearing. Not to mention the charging system.

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:32:02 AM »
I'm one on ATF. Looks good with 7,500 + miles.
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Online GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:28:13 AM »
Yes sir you are. I was not going to name you. But if you want post up your pics as well. Not to mention you drive it like a ride ole lady  :hyst:

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:57:22 AM »
This looks allot like the tray thing that Max built a few months ago (maybe longer).
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline mtrhead269

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
Works with 42200064a?

Online GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 01:18:30 PM »
I guess opinions will vary myself do not see how that looks anything like it. This is the same tray that we had done well over a year ago now and we have removed the oil snout from it to work with the new compensator. But if I where to look through a gen 1 night vision maybe HA HA . GOt that bike done yet?? Looking forward to see what it makes for power should be a ripper.

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »
The tray that Max built was sort of the same, collect splash oil and deliver it to the inards of the compensator. Yours has a more, um, 'Manufactured and Refined' look to it. Glad to see several companies coming up with products to fix this issue for harley.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline fltrdes

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:44:59 AM »
I want this as part of my overall solution to noisy and under engineered primary drive system. Have put up with this constant wear and tear AND metal on my drain plug every time I pull it...

I think Steve has hit the nail right on the head!

96", SE-255, Big Sucker A/C, Stock Exhaust, SEPST

Offline fltrdes

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 06:52:50 AM »
We have been looking at many of the new SE comp units and we are still seeing a good amount of wear on the sprocket and ramp. We have modified the tray to work with it. The tray will now be flooding the spokes and ramp with lubrication.

Steve, how much $$ for this unit to fit with 42200064A SE Comp Kit?

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »
Yes sir you are. I was not going to name you. But if you want post up your pics as well. Not to mention you drive it like a ride ole lady  :hyst:

Sorry, got side tracked by a few weeks.....    :emsad:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

www.harleypartscheap.com

Online Durwood

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »
Lookin Good Brian :up:

Offline digga25

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 05:55:33 AM »
This comp oiling unit looks good but how do you contact Steve at GMR to purchase/question about it.No return reply from website.

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 06:04:36 AM »
This comp oiling unit looks good but how do you contact Steve at GMR to purchase/question about it.No return reply from website.

www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline digga25

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »
Thanks

Offline stogieluvr60

• Treat others as you would have yourself be treated
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »

[/quote
Do I still need that little plastic piece glued to the inside of the outer primary cover with this unit installed?

Offline fltrdes

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 07:13:08 AM »

Do I still need that little plastic piece glued to the inside of the outer primary cover with this unit installed?

I believe the plastic oil diverter in the new SE Compensator kit is still needed to still push oil into the center of the screw (#10) and sprocket retainer (there are oil passage holes in it (#9)) that is now in the assembly. Steves Compensaver AUGMENTS the whole installation by routing oil to the sliding cam and sprocket as well as the new bearing that doesn't get enough oil because the rotating mass' centrifugal force forces oil away from these surfaces.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:33:27 PM by fltrdes »

Offline fltrdes

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »
There have been bits and pieces of explanation of the function of the Screamin' Eagle Big Twin Compensating Sprocket (both 40274-08A and 42200064, 42200095 kits)  and of the GMR Performance Compensaver oil tray, but NOT enough COMPLETE explanation of WHY it was developed by Harley-Davidson to the satisfaction of many of us owner/riders. This lack of information and explanation serves no purpose to us. We are left to discover this problem of an under engineered area of our EXPENSIVE machines and are expected to foot the bill when repair and replacement is deemed necessary.
If this problem is not a prime example of what a recal constitutes then I don't know what is. If the compensator wear is not addressed, then failure can occur causing the motorcycle to suddenly lockup causing the vehicle to crash and injuries or even death could occur.
If you do nothing else other than to discover metal particles on your primary chain case drain plug, you have discovered a PROBLEM occuring inside your primary. The responsible and SAFE thing to do next is to have the wearing parts replaced with parts that will NOT wear this way and provide the longevity of performance and functionality for which you paid! Seek competent advice and repair from someone or some dealer you can trust. Research this issue from top to bottom for yourself and decide what is the safest for you, your motorcycle and for those that ride behind you.

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
I'm running the same CompensaVer set up in my 124 as Brian (Ohio HD)...along with a Hayden primary tensioner.
I had the primary apart this winter to do a final drive chain conversion...and was pleasantly surprised with what I seen.
I also ran ATF in my primary with the CompensaVer...and I must say...my comp looked "excellent" after 4,000 miles being put on it.
I'm a firm believer that the CompensaVer has cured my SE comp woes!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:28:31 PM by No Cents »
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Online GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 05:56:15 AM »
I'm running the same CompensaVer set up in my 124 as Brian (Ohio HD)...along with a Hayden primary tensioner.
I had the primary apart this winter to do a final drive chain conversion...and was pleasantly surprised with what I seen.
I also ran ATF in my primary with the CompensaVer...and I must say...my comp looked "excellent" after 4,000 miles being put on it.
I'm a firm believer that the CompensaVer has cured my SE comp woes!

:up: