Author Topic: Sportster as a Touring Bike?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline fbn ent

• Site Supporter
Re: Sportster as a Touring Bike?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »
This is my wife and her bike....she rides right along with me and my RG. Only issue is fuel range. She gets 150 miles before we need to look for a station. Those are quick miles too.

It would be rough for me but she is pretty light and loves it. BTW, she usually doesn't pack quite this heavy  :crook:.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:43:10 PM by fbn ent »
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"
Hinton, Alberta

Offline Panzer

• Shed Master
  • Live one day at a time.
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 05:46:37 PM »
Both are good looking.  :up:
Good pix.
You don't have to shovel sunshine ..... let's ride.

Offline chopper

• Past Admin
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »
I've only ridden Iron head Sporty's, but all I ever did was put on a decent seat, and raise the gearing. Bump a tooth or two on the countershaft, and they smooth right out at highway speeds. I have to believe the new ones are even better.
Fat Lives Matter! Hands Up! (gimmee a sammich)

Offline Carl 1969

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 03:47:57 PM »
Rode this '94 to Sturgis from Fayetteville, NC & came back the long way through WY, CO, NM, TX, OK, etc. 8 "serious" travel days over 3 weeks & 5500 miles. Not the best tool for the job, but it's what I had & got me there & back with no issues whatsoever.

Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

Offline tommy g

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
Didn't see him but an older gent from Texas on his 02  Sporty stopped in at the local dealer for fork seals. He was on his way home from a ride to Alaska.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 09:37:11 PM »
Not the best tool for the job, but it's what I had & got me there & back with no issues whatsoever.

:up:   and that folks is what it's all about

Offline biker3r

• Dago Ca.
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »
 :agree:

Offline triumph900

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
My last Sportster was a 1200C. Sold it a couple of years back, now seriously thinking of a new 1200C. Just demo'ed a 2017, very nice.

My old 1200C would run 80-85 all day, and was fairly comfortable with a small windscreen.

Offline Bladesmith

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
As an over 70 "Geezer" my Ultra LTD "Geezer Glide" is just too big. I'm thinking about going back to a Sportster , my first Harley was an Ironhead...I think I can set one up for touring, nowadays I rarely go more then 300 miles a day, OEM hard bags, windshield , larger tank would make it work....Now if I can add floorboards it would be perfect
" Don't follow leaders, and watch your parking meters" Dylan

Offline PC_Hater

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
As an over 70 "Geezer" my Ultra LTD "Geezer Glide" is just too big. I'm thinking about going back to a Sportster , my first Harley was an Ironhead...I think I can set one up for touring, nowadays I rarely go more then 300 miles a day, OEM hard bags, windshield , larger tank would make it work....Now if I can add floorboards it would be perfect

if Harley can't provide floorboards to fit a Sportster the aftermarket most definitely can!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
I have to agree with you, Bladesmith, the 900 pound Limiteds can get a bit unwieldy.
No shirt, no shoes, but I still get service.
Why? Girl, look at this body!

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
Mine travels pretty well, I also have a big sissy bar bag so can carry a fair bunch of stuff. Only problem is the wind beats me up pretty badly at highway speed. I need a real windshield if I'm ever going more than a few hundred miles.

I can't ride with a windshield of any kind, the buffeting at highway speed rattles my brain inside the skull. I much prefer the laminar flow of the wind. I know what you mean about long trips and wind protection though. I bungee a sleeping bag on the bars, it knocks the wind off the chest and does not create buffeting. Might give that a try and see what you think.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline d2wing

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »
 I have a 2006 1200L I set up for touring and I works well. First it has a good touring seat, I changed the rear shocks to 12.5 inch Progressives, Changed out the upper fork tubes for 2 inch longer ones and put in longer dampers. It rides and handles great. I put on Viking rigid leather saddlebags. For wind protection I have a Memphis fats eye height windshield and to get rid of buffeting I added Memphis shades lower fork deflectors.
 On an earlier Sporty I added floor boards but On this one I have forward controls and do not miss the floorboards. You can add tune kits if you want.
I am 69 years old and can put on 300 miles a day easily. I also have a luggage rack and a large tail bag for it and it has the big tank. I will see if I canpost pics.