Author Topic: Installed a set....  (Read 537 times)

Offline Tsani

• Site Supporter
  • ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ
Installed a set....
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »
Installed a set. While I did a total rebuild along with a new set of performance lifters (http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php/topic,87993.0.html),
I will say I think it helped because it aligned the rocker stand up. I had only one bolt showing witness marks in the front Rocker Box were I was having a ticking noise. It is better than factory quiet now IMHO. Thinking of installing a second set in the remaining bolt holes. I think taking the slop out of the bolt alignment helps.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
Re: Installed a set....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 04:55:04 AM »
Installed a set. While I did a total rebuild along with a new set of performance lifters (http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php/topic,87993.0.html),
I will say I think it helped because it aligned the rocker stand up. I had only one bolt showing witness marks in the front Rocker Box were I was having a ticking noise. It is better than factory quiet now IMHO. Thinking of installing a second set in the remaining bolt holes. I think taking the slop out of the bolt alignment helps.

That is good to hear. These motor should not be making all these annoying noises, yes if you are running a radical cam we expect it, but a low mileage well maintained bike, the motor should be enjoyable to listen to.
No they all donít have to sound like that.
We have not made a big deal about centering the plate with the Rocker Lockers, but I have always stated the importance of the plate always being mounted in the same location.
And yes the Rocker Lockers do that.
We have heard multiple times that after the top end was disassembled for normal maintenance it started to make noise.
I had one set of plates/rocker arms from a high mileage motor that the plate had been removed several times, that had multiple wear patterns on the rocker arm feet.
Without the Lockers, especially with non-adjustable push rods the spring pressure and angle of the push rods has a tendency to twist the plate so that the exhaust push rod is rubbing on the inside.
And positioning of the plate is left to chance.
We feel that one set of Rocker Lockers sufficiently secure the rocker arm plate, and have not done a lot of testing with two sets.
If you would like to try this out, please pm me and I will get another set in the mail for you to test this idea.
We have been doing a lot of testing of different problem areas, including rocker arm endplay and are testing simple solutions to these problems.
When we get a little farther along we will let you know about it.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Tsani

• Site Supporter
  • ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ
Installed a set....
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »
Thanks for the offer. The bike is back together right now and I won't be going back in to it until wintertime, if needed or I am not riding it. I tend to ride when others in my area do not. But if the time comes I will get a set and add them as well as test. I do feel positive repeatable placement is a good thing. This is quietest this engine has been since the day I bought the bike. But one more factor I need to eliminate is the oil.  Right now I am in the break in stage and running Dino. When I switch back to synth, I will know more.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier