Author Topic: Rocker arm endplay cutter offered; volunteers needed for testing.  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
We are looking for testers for our new Rocker Arm Endplay Cutter tool.

As most of you know the thinner shims used to bring the endplay into specs disintegrate and fall into the motor. This tool is designed to cut the towers to except thicker .020 shims.
We will send the tool along with four .02 shims and enough cutting disk to do one motor.
We would prefer professional shop for testing; I will send one with no obligation.
We will also send one to any non professional who wants to try it however we would like those back after you use it.
Here is a video that we put together describing how the tool works and also details the three main causes of top end ticks in Harleys.

https://youtu.be/JQS99wCOWbE

We are looking for feedback on how the tool works, if changing the endplay helps, any suggestion for improvement, and value of the tool.
We are also looking for comments on the video, if there was anything we need to change.
When you make a video you are too close to the action and sometimes miss the obvious.
This tool is a prototype, for use by professionals with a reasonable amount of skill and common sense.
Anyone interested please contact me at Harley_cruiser@yahoo.com
There are a limited number of tools for testing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:37:37 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
Re: Rocker arm endplay cutter offered; volunteers needed for testing.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »
Is this tool available for purchase?
'The Thread Killer' - Worn with pride.

Offline harleytuner

• Wide Open Cycles
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:00:36 PM »
If you still need testers and feedback hit me up.  Looks nice.
Enjoying the hell out of my "hotted" up twincam

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 05:28:32 AM »
If you still need testers and feedback hit me up.  Looks nice.
Is this tool available for purchase?

We have had excellent results with the way the cutter worked, almost everyone said the top end noise was eliminated, however since most people were installing Rocker Lockers at the same time the results of shimming the end play are skewed, so we really do not know if shimming did any good.
We do know that a lot of bikes had vertical marks instead of the horizontal marks on the bolts a sign that the rocker arm shaft was moving sideways with the end play.
I made up a couple dozen of the cutters and gave them out for testing, I never felt comfortable selling them until I was sure that shimming was worth the time involved.
I do have a couple left and will get them in the mail to both of you, pm me your address.
We have had excellent feedback from our You-tube viewers, Dennis came up with this own design for a cutter using a long 1/4 inch bolt cut off.

We also have started using a stationary sander to do the same job, it is fast easy to use and a tool that is useful for more than cutting the end play.

Instead of cutting the towers on the plate you use it on the arm itself. The aluminum bar is to keep the arm straight. The secret is to align the arm so that it removes the material at the same angle as the factory. If you have watched the video you will know that the factory end is not square to the shaft it is longer on the top.
Using the stationary sander procedure is the same as in the video as far as clearance and making sure the shim is on the non-load side.

Video of end play cutter
https://youtu.be/JQS99wCOWbE

I want to mention that when you cut the arm or the tower you can move the arm slightly to have the foot of the rocker arm align better on the valve stem, you are talking only about .010  but should be considered if you are concerned about the alignment and want to improve it.
I am not sure if I am going to make up any more cutters when these are gone since the stationary sander does such a good job but we will see.
I would appreciate any feedback that I can get my intent was never to make money on the cutters, but to eliminate as many top end noises that we can.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline harleytuner

• Wide Open Cycles
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 05:07:09 AM »
I used the tool for the first time yesterday.   Works pretty slick.   The first one i did took a little bit of time as,i was getting used to it, i was pleased with the amiunt of material its capable of removing.  I would definitely recommend this.

Somehow your email got deleted, cam you email me again please?   I need to get some shims as I plan on using this frequently

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
I used the tool for the first time yesterday.   Works pretty slick.   The first one i did took a little bit of time as,i was getting used to it, i was pleased with the amiunt of material its capable of removing.  I would definitely recommend this.

Somehow your email got deleted, cam you email me again please?   I need to get some shims as I plan on using this frequently

Chad, I get the shims on e-bay, I have not been able to find them anyplace else. They are for shovel heads and Sportsters.

https://goo.gl/SJg2Pa

Make sure you get the .020, (Harley Rocker arm shims) I have a few sets if you have trouble finding any.
Thanks for the feed back, yes once you get used to how fast they cut it goes pretty fast. I use disk cut from 36, or 50 grit sand paper sanding disk, but they cut real fast and I don't include them with the cutter because I am afraid that people will get into trouble with them cutting too much, that is why I send the 80 and 120 grit.
If you want more disk you can cut them with a inch and 1/4 hole saw and a piece of wood underneath. I buy the belt sander belts for this.
If you have a stationary belt sander you might also want to try that, instead of trimming the towers you cut down the arm itself. I think it works just as well and just as fast.
oh yea, Harley_cruiser@yahoo.com or you can message me.
I'm still not sure how much good the shimming does, like I said before most people doing this modification were installing Rocker Lockers so hard to tell where the quiet is coming from:-)
Just taking out that slop from the end play has to help some.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:48:43 PM by FSG »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline harleytuner

• Wide Open Cycles
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »

Chad, I get the shims on e-bay, I have not been able to find them anyplace else. They are for shovel heads and Sportsters.

Make sure you get the .020, (Harley Rocker arm shims) I have a few sets if you have trouble finding any.
Thanks for the feed back, yes once you get used to how fast they cut it goes pretty fast. I use disk cut from 36, or 50 grit sand paper sanding disk, but they cut real fast and I don't include them with the cutter because I am afraid that people will get into trouble with them cutting too much, that is why I send the 80 and 120 grit.
If you want more disk you can cut them with a inch and 1/4 hole saw and a piece of wood underneath. I buy the belt sander belts for this.
If you have a stationary belt sander you might also want to try that, instead of trimming the towers you cut down the arm itself. I think it works just as well and just as fast.
I'm still not sure how much good the shimming does, like I said before most people doing this modification were installing Rocker Lockers so hard to tell where the quiet is coming from:-)

I just finished up the 110 build today that I used it for,  I also used the lockers in it but I will say it is one of the quitest valve trains I've heard. I need to do a, couple more heat cycles before it goes on the dyno for a break in tune butt ship far it's awesome.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:49:55 PM by FSG »

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »

I just finished up the 110 build today that I used it for,  I also used the lockers in it but I will say it is one of the quitest valve trains I've heard. I need to do a, couple more heat cycles before it goes on the dyno for a break in tune butt ship far it's awesome.
:up:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:50:37 PM by FSG »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hazzardousmat

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:20 AM »
I have already installed the rocker lockers and still chasing the tapping. Thinking I'm just going to have to give up trying to find it and upgrade the stereo to drown it out
CR570 cams, fullsac mufflers and boyesen intake