Author Topic: How are the 110 flywheel assemblies different from 2014 on? "B" type...  (Read 1343 times)

Offline GunShyKennedy

Can anyone detail the difference between the pre 2014 110ci crank/flywheel assemblies and the 2014 model up to present?
As an example,
2007 to 2014 B type is 23912-07B

2014 to 2016 B type is 24100022

The early part number costs about $580, the late part number over $1000.

Does the later assembly have an improved or better finish, stronger parts than the earlier type?

Is it like the Screamin' Eagle Pro range, which doesn't have an upgrade for the 110 assembly for the 2007 to present in the "B" Softail type?

Does anyone have images of the assemblies, either in the the cases or out to compare?

Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge.
cheers,
richo

Offline GunShyKennedy

"A" type 110 engines have exactly the same change point.
Same crank/flywheel assembly from 2007 to end of 2013.
New part number introduced for the 2014 models, price hike the same as described above.

Is this difference in assemblies and part numbers secret knowledge, or simply unknown?

Can the earlier flywheel assembly be substituted for the late in the "A" & "B" engines and save some $500 in doing so?
cheers,
richo

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
You may want to try to reach out to John at Darkhorse Crankworks. He may be able to tell you.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
Richo,  when I look up crank part numbers a 2016 Slim 103" gets a 23912-07B, your 2016 Slim S 110" gets a 24100022 which I'm guessing might be balanced for a different piston/ring weight.  Touring models look to be the same with the 103" getting 23729-07B and 110",  24100021.  So appears to be a 110" thing to me without doing more digging.

Have no idea about the price unless the MOCO possibly upgraded the crank quality?

Offline GunShyKennedy

Thanks Rick, a 2008 110ci engine has the crank I listed in my original post, up to 2014.

Did the piston change at that time to a different weight? No, not according to the part numbers, which are the same for a 2008 as they are for a 2013, 2014 and 2016.

Gotta be in the crank somewhere. Different rod finish process, crank pin, plugs, flywheel finish or manufacturing process, cast to forged?

It's only the 110 engine that I see this anomaly, or at least an anomaly to my unknowing eye.
This is where I am curious and confused, especially with the price difference.
cheers,
richo

Offline joe_lyons

• Administrator
  • Just another squirrel trying to get a nut.
    • Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno
Comes with the SE lefty crank bearing race from the factory.  Don't know about the price hike.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion
816-425-4901

Offline GunShyKennedy

Thanks Joe, the lefty bearing does not come with the crank/flywheel assembly.
It is supplied as a separate part.

The lefty bearing does come with the late 110 engine (certainly in the FLSS), didn't come in the early 110 until 2013.
The earlier (back to 2003) crankshaft accepts a lefty bearing without modification to the case, according to HD.

Still don't know the difference in the crankshaft/flywheel/rod assembly between the part numbers in the original post.
Or, as to why there is such a disparate value.
cheers,
richo

Offline GunShyKennedy

You may want to try to reach out to John at Darkhorse Crankworks. He may be able to tell you.

I've reached out to John at Darkhorse.
What a wonderful fella to speak with. Helpful and interested in this issue.
Unfortunately at this time, he too has no knowledge of this crank and flywheel assembly being any different.
He is not familiar with the part number and has kindly offered to contact someone who may be able to enlighten us.

Were I able to afford a Darkhorse crankshaft assembly, I'd have one with the works! Our Pacific Peso and the proud service of USPS make the cost prohibitive to me.

I look forward to sharing more information as or when it becomes available.
cheers,
richo

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!

I've reached out to John at Darkhorse.
What a wonderful fella to speak with. Helpful and interested in this issue.
Unfortunately at this time, he too has no knowledge of this crank and flywheel assembly being any different.
He is not familiar with the part number and has kindly offered to contact someone who may be able to enlighten us.

Were I able to afford a Darkhorse crankshaft assembly, I'd have one with the works! Our Pacific Peso and the proud service of USPS make the cost prohibitive to me.

I look forward to sharing more information as or when it becomes available.

I agree Richo, John is a top notch guy. I have spoke to him on a few occasions. I have a motor in the works that I will soon send the cases to him. He will return it to me with his version of S&S flywheels, and his connecting rods. 
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline hogmandon

I have looked in the SE catalogue and that fly wheel ass. is $729.95. Where are you getting this from I would like to get one

Offline GunShyKennedy

I have looked in the SE catalogue and that fly wheel ass. is $729.95. Where are you getting this from I would like to get one

Which flywheel assembly is "that' to which you are referring?

The Screamin' Eagle Catalog has flywheel assemblies on page 80 of the 2016 catalog, which at this time is current and neither number (from the original post) is referenced, nor is a 4 3/8" wheel for Softail '07 and later "B" type engines with a tapered rod end offered.

I used US retail pricing for the guideline to highlight the difference in price. No discounts and plus tax as applicable.
Prices current todays date.
23912-07B @ $583.44 and 24100022 @ $1023.96

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:15:35 PM by GunShyKennedy »
cheers,
richo

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!

How about $456.00  ?

23912-07B

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/harley-davidson/flywheel-asy-23912-07b?page_580440596=3
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline ben31

Re: How are the 110 flywheel assemblies different from 2014 on? "B" type...
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 06:13:27 AM »
Did you had some information about the 24100022 flywheel?

I have to rebuild all my lower end, and maybe replace the flywheel. My bike is a 2014 FLSTNSE.

I think I have three options:
- a 24100022
- an upgraded SE flywheel
- an even better one from other manufacturer (SnS?)
What do you think?

In case I take advantage of this rebuild to upgrade to 117, should I use the same flywheel?
FLSTNSE 14, Target Tune

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 06:21:47 AM »
I would go S&S! :baby:

Offline Frédéric CM

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 07:32:34 AM »
S&S ;)

Offline borno

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »
the newer rods don't have the bushing on the top for the piston pin , just parent material. Maybe that's the change.

Offline joe_lyons

• Administrator
  • Just another squirrel trying to get a nut.
    • Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
the newer rods don't have the bushing on the top for the piston pin , just parent material. Maybe that's the change.

That happened in 11 I believe.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion
816-425-4901