Author Topic: Best money I've ever spent  (Read 1099 times)

Offline OldFLTRider

Best money I've ever spent
« on: July 10, 2016, 07:08:47 PM »
I've been having a lot of compensator noise since I installed Harley's latest version last year.  It made so much racket I couldn't tell where the other noises were coming from or if in fact there were other sources of noise.  Yesterday I reinstalled my original 2012 Comp. Upon restarting it and test riding I determined that there were tapping noises coming from the engine that didn't change with acceleration or deceleration.  I got out the mechanics stethoscope and found the noises to be coming from the rocker arm area.  Luckily I had purchased a set of Rocker Lockers a few months ago.  I installed them today and the bike has never been so noise free.  The T-Man 577 cams are quieter than the stock cams when the bike was new. 

Thanks for a truly great product.
2012 FLTRX 103, HDSP heads, T-Man 577 cams, 115 HP/TQ

Offline Fisherking

Re: Best money I've ever spent
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:41:51 AM »
 Nice , Good to hear. I just purchased a set to put in when I do my build .
 F.K.

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »
Nice , Good to hear. I just purchased a set to put in when I do my build .
 F.K.
Good to hear, installing Rocker Lockers in a build is a good idea, not only do they lock the shaft, and eliminate the chance of it rotating and hitting the bolt, it centers the plate, much like when installed at the factory using a jig/robot. When you use a higher than stock cam it puts addional pressure/stress on the Rocker arm assembly, if not centered it changes the angle of the push rods and where the Rocker arm rides on the valve. It changes the whole geometry of the Rocker arm. When you change the angle of the push rod you are also changing the side load on the Rocker arm. I am still testing this effect and how it affect the endplay and the endplay tick that some bikes have and others don't. Using the Rocker Lockers seems to eliminate this problem.
Anyway enough rambling.
I want to show an unsolicited enforcement from Tallahassee Harley.
https://youtu.be/jI_KWSz0XWk
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hazzardousmat

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 06:18:31 AM »
Finally got the chance to install the rocker lockers. Install was simple but I did have to stop part way to replace the breather element. Those elements disintegrated at touch, not really surprised. Called Brandts in Wabash, In and asked them if they had replacements. They did at 16.00 each  :dgust: Well, had to replace the one for sure so not much I could do. Went to the dealership and the parts guy explained that it was the breather assembly, not just the elements. He said HD had an upgrade for them, and that's the only way I could get replacements.
Anyway, install of the lockers was simple and really only needed to use the washer and nut on one. The rest I pushed in with my fingers. Took it for a test ride and finally that maddening tapping is gone!! Thank you Rocker Lockers! Now all I hear is my pipes and a "ticking" noise. No idea what that is, but I will go searching for a lose nut or bolt.  :emoGroan:
CR570 cams, fullsac mufflers and boyesen intake

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 04:32:19 PM »
Finally got the chance to install the rocker lockers. Install was simple but I did have to stop part way to replace the breather element. Those elements disintegrated at touch, not really surprised. Called Brandts in Wabash, In and asked them if they had replacements. They did at 16.00 each  :dgust: Well, had to replace the one for sure so not much I could do. Went to the dealership and the parts guy explained that it was the breather assembly, not just the elements. He said HD had an upgrade for them, and that's the only way I could get replacements.
Anyway, install of the lockers was simple and really only needed to use the washer and nut on one. The rest I pushed in with my fingers. Took it for a test ride and finally that maddening tapping is gone!! Thank you Rocker Lockers! Now all I hear is my pipes and a "ticking" noise. No idea what that is, but I will go searching for a lose nut or bolt.  :emoGroan:
Mat, very cool glad they helped. There were several solutions floating around to cure this problem, most addressed the symptom not the problem, Rocker Lockers were the first to address the problem the hole being larger than the bolt, and not a band aid fix for the symptom.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hazzardousmat

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
Took a ride to Ft. Wayne today. Had a bit of tapping on the way there but on the way back, it was making a hell of a racket. Not sure what it is, might be the compensator nut is lose. I hope

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
Took a ride to Ft. Wayne today. Had a bit of tapping on the way there but on the way back, it was making a hell of a racket. Not sure what it is, might be the compensator nut is lose. I hope
Mat, revisit your work, do you have adjustable push rods?
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hazzardousmat

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 05:17:09 PM »
Yes I do. Darren did the work. Next weekend I'm going to check if my compensator nut is loose. Have to wait till my brother gets back home. He's a OTR Driver and will be using his garage and tools. If it needs replacing, I'll get the parts picked up the following Monday from Brandts HD (Mondays I can use my Military Discount, save me over 30.00)

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:53:01 AM »
Yes I do.
The adjustable push rods would be the first thing to check to see if they came loose. Pop the covers to check them, start with the intake, they are the two in the middle, the bike won't run if the exaust come loose.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hazzardousmat

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:04:41 AM »
Ok I'll check them.

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 06:10:37 AM »
Ok I'll check them.

Pull out your plugs make sure to check the adjustables on the compression, top dead center with both valves on that cylinder closed.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hazzardousmat

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 04:50:34 AM »
Yes I do.
The adjustable push rods would be the first thing to check to see if they came loose. Pop the covers to check them, start with the intake, they are the two in the middle, the bike won't run if the exaust come loose.

Checked the pushrods, the compensator and the rockers. Everything was good and torqued down, the rocker assembly didnt wiggle any. Started with the lower fairings, they were tight then went around pulling on the shifter, nope not it. Kicked (not real hard) the heat shielding on the crossover, nope. Ohh the shielding on the other side clamps were loose, they "clanked" when I kicked them. Tightened the clamps and added some home made shims. Hope that cure's its ills, will see later today when I go out on a bug killing rampage  :bike:
Next Tuesday I'm going to go ahead and change the oil, tranny fluid. Changed the primary, might as well do the rest right?

Offline FLHRI_2004

• Site Supporter
  • Joined HTT 1/16/2004, Easton/Bethlehem, PA
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »
I just ordered a set of Rocker Lockers for my 2014 103 HO (all stock).  I plan to replace the lifters this winter and will put these in while I have it apart.  I'll know next spring if the lockers (and the lifters) quieted my motor (it's not that loud, but noticeable with the windshield on).
My Ride: Road King

Offline Uncle Salty

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 06:44:49 AM »
Yes I do.

Checked the pushrods, the compensator and the rockers. Everything was good and torqued down, the rocker assembly didnt wiggle any. Started with the lower fairings, they were tight then went around pulling on the shifter, nope not it. Kicked (not real hard) the heat shielding on the crossover, nope. Ohh the shielding on the other side clamps were loose, they "clanked" when I kicked them. Tightened the clamps and added some home made shims. Hope that cure's its ills, will see later today when I go out on a bug killing rampage  :bike:
Next Tuesday I'm going to go ahead and change the oil, tranny fluid. Changed the primary, might as well do the rest right?
Did you find the source of the noise?

Offline Hazzardousmat

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 09:23:34 AM »
Yes I do.

Still have a slight tapping/rattle. Shimed the heat shield it was causing a tapping noise too. It only seems to tap after I have been riding for awhile, half hour or so of riding. Maybe need heavier oil? I'm runing 20/50 synthetic, go back to straight 50?
BTW sorry for not replying sooner.

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 06:03:29 AM »
Yes I do.

Still have a slight tapping/rattle. Shimed the heat shield it was causing a tapping noise too. It only seems to tap after I have been riding for awhile, half hour or so of riding. Maybe need heavier oil? I'm runing 20/50 synthetic, go back to straight 50?
I have already installed the rocker lockers and still chasing the tapping. Thinking I'm just going to have to give up trying to find it and upgrade the stereo to drown it out
Mat, I know that you had Darren (Sheffer Performance) put in 570 cams, in June, did you talk to him about the noise? When did the noise start before or after the cams, what lifters did they put in. You said that you checked the comp nut, did you check to see if there was any wear on the comp, or that it was making any noise? Have you gone around with a stethoscope to locate where the noise was coming from? When does it tick, start up, when hot, etc.?
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hazzardousmat

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
Yes I do.

I have already installed the rocker lockers and still chasing the tapping. Thinking I'm just going to have to give up trying to find it and upgrade the stereo to drown it out
Mat, I know that you had Darren (Sheffer Performance) put in 570 cams, in June, did you talk to him about the noise? When did the noise start before or after the cams, what lifters did they put in. You said that you checked the comp nut, did you check to see if there was any wear on the comp, or that it was making any noise? Have you gone around with a stethoscope to locate where the noise was coming from? When does it tick, start up, when hot, etc.?
No stethoscope, the comp didnt show any wear and it wasnt loose. I did talk to Darren and it started after the cams were put in. I check the pushrods too. The lifters are S&S, it only starts tapping after the engine is hot. Its stops after it cooled for an hour or so till I ride it for awhile the it starts again.

Offline Durwood

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
Hello Mat, The last we spoke you were checking out your compensator and I assumed you had found what you were looking for as I didn't hear from you again after that.

As I told you when you picked up your bike, that if you had any questions or issues just give me a call, and that still stands today..

Give me a call and we will work out a time when it's convenient and I will check it out to see if we can nail down the cause.

Thanks Daren