Author Topic: lithium ion batteries.....  (Read 5285 times)

Offline boooby1744

• Site Supporter
Re: lithium ion batteries.....
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 10:08:42 PM »
With the special chargers these batteries need, why is it OK to let the bike's charging system connected to it, or isn't it OK?

Truck,
It's my understanding (which could be wrong) that any battery tender works fine till it drops below a certain amount something like 11 (can't remember the number or it might be brand specific) If it get below this charge then the special charger is required. Keep it above and it is chargeable from bike, charger, tender, or the special one.
I believe the anti-sulfation phase of the tender is the reason it can't be used on the Li battery.

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 10:49:29 PM »
With the special chargers these batteries need, why is it OK to let the bike's charging system connected to it, or isn't it OK?

Truck,
It's my understanding (which could be wrong) that any battery tender works fine till it drops below a certain amount something like 11 (can't remember the number or it might be brand specific) If it get below this charge then the special charger is required. Keep it above and it is chargeable from bike, charger, tender, or the special one.
I believe the anti-sulfation phase of the tender is the reason it can't be used on the Li battery.

:agree:  regular charger or tender will ruin a Li battery your bikes charging system doesn't have a anti-sulfation phase.   Bob

Offline adayrider

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »

Truck,

:agree:  regular charger or tender will ruin a Li battery your bikes charging system doesn't have a anti-sulfation phase.   Bob

Battery Tender hasn't ruined mine in the 3 winters I have used it on my Ballistic

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »

Truck,

Battery Tender hasn't ruined mine in the 3 winters I have used it on my Ballistic

Good for you. I laid out 600 Canadian dollars for a 720 amp anti gravity 3 years ago. Isnt a chance I will use a different charger than the one the manufacture recommends.  To try and save 20 bucks on a charger.  The say DONT use I aint going to argue.   Bob

Offline rbabos

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2017, 09:48:38 AM »
  I would at least use the one recommended for the LI battery. There has to be some difference worth noting in the long term.
Ron

Offline adayrider

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »

Truck,

Good for you. I laid out 600 Canadian dollars for a 720 amp anti gravity 3 years ago. Isnt a chance I will use a different charger than the one the manufacture recommends.  To try and save 20 bucks on a charger.  The say DONT use I aint going to argue.   Bob

I did say brad specific. Ballistic batteries don't require a specific charger but they do clain if you use their charger it will greatly extend the life. So far I haven't found that to be true.

Offline Mark222

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »
Not to stir the pot..........  but......

The Scorpion battery I bought stated right on the website and on the brochure that "no special charger" was needed. 

AND

Then they state right below that statement that they recommend a Li Ion charger that costs $50.  I figure they know more than me, (or call me gullible), but I bought their recommended charger.  Mostly because I did not want to hear later, it should have / would have lasted longer if you has used brand the "X" charger made for Li Ion batteries, like was recommended on our website.  I invested double the money on this Li Ion battery, I think of it as cheap insurance until proven differently.

And besides, it has cool lights   :hyst:    :potstir:

Mark

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2017, 06:35:35 PM »
   my new Twin Power Lithium- Ion battery and the charger for it is suppose to be here tomorrow according to the tracking #'s.
Do you guys suggest hooking the charger up to the battery and letting it do it's thing before putting the battery in the bike?
 And another question...the charger pigtail that I currently use for my lead acid battery...is it different than what these lithium chargers use?

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline 92flhtcu

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »
Same "tender" harness is fine, although it does come with a new one, it wont hurt to attach to your new battery until the indicator lights up for fully charged, should not take but  15-20 minutes on a new one
Need a bigger garage

Offline No Cents

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2017, 07:12:32 PM »
 thanks!  :up:

Offline m1marty

• Site Supporter
  • The Outsider
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »
You're going to like it, Ray. I hit them with the charger before firing the first time. 2-9 minutes (I timed all of them) and ready to go.
OFFO

Offline boooby1744

• Site Supporter
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2017, 02:40:54 AM »
   my new Twin Power Lithium- Ion battery and the charger for it is suppose to be here tomorrow according to the tracking #'s.
Do you guys suggest hooking the charger up to the battery and letting it do it's thing before putting the battery in the bike?
 And another question...the charger pigtail that I currently use for my lead acid battery...is it different than what these lithium chargers use?

Ray
I charged mine. The pigtail that came with mine is very heavy duty looking,I'm guessing 14 Ga. you'll probably get a new pigtail with your new charger.i think the LI chargers push more voltage & amps than the old pigtails can handle.

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »
I like to charge all new batteries before I install them, regardless of type.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline No Cents

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »
   yep Hoss...I normally do too. I didn't know if these lithium battery came with a full charge in them or not. I'm treading new waters here in the lithium world of motorcycle batteries.
  The battery and charger did show up today. First thing I noticed was how light the lithium battery was. It's like feather weight compared to the gel maintenance free batteries I've ran in this bike in the past. I checked the volts of the lithium battery right out of the box and it had 13.2 volts. I hooked it up to the new led lithium charger and it took a little over an hour for the charger to say the battery was fully charged. It had 14.2 volts at full charge.
   I put it in the bike and it spun the engine over instantly. It was like I couldn't get my finger off the start button fast enough. I'll see how it spins it over tomorrow after I get the engine good and heat soaked. I will say this for it so far...I've never had a battery spin any of my HD motors over this fast.  :up:

Offline rbabos

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
I like to charge all new batteries before I install them, regardless of type.
Absolutely. While the bikes charging system will eventually charge it given enough time it's better to view it as a maintainer rather then a charger. It's best to have a full deep charge done on a real charger preferably at 2 amps.
Ron

Offline No Cents

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2017, 05:08:11 PM »
 my charger.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »
You're going to like it, Ray. I hit them with the charger before firing the first time. 2-9 minutes (I timed all of them) and ready to go.

Yep. You and I have the same battery, but different chargers. My lithium specific C-Tek charger took about the same amount of time to bring it to a full charge.

As I have discussed on the other page, the Twin Power battery cranks my high compression 124" effortlessly. Even after short stops for safety meetings, with the engine fully heat soaked, the battery spun it effortlessly.

I will sometimes plug the battery into the C-Tek after returning from a ride. Not really to charge the battery, but more as a rough yardstick for how well the charging system is working. The bike this is in has a Compu-Fire 3-phase, 40A charging system. After riding the bike around all night the C-Tek has never required more than a few minutes to indicate a full charge.

Sort of anxious for winter to see how it performs.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline No Cents

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
  well...I took the bike out and I ran it close to 100 miles before shutting it off to see how it would re-start the hot engine. I had the engine good and heat soaked.
  I hit the start button to re-start it with it only being shut off for about 30 seconds or less. It re-started the old 124 without hesitation. When I hit the start button it lit up so fast that I could hardly get my finger off the button. I'm impressed. So far the new lithium- ion battery looks like it will be a good investment if it last as long as it is advertised. I just can't get over the weight difference...it's mind boggling.

Ray

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2017, 01:53:52 PM »
  well...I took the bike out and I ran it close to 100 miles before shutting it off to see how it would re-start the hot engine. I had the engine good and heat soaked.
  I hit the start button to re-start it with it only being shut off for about 30 seconds or less. It re-started the old 124 without hesitation. When I hit the start button it lit up so fast that I could hardly get my finger off the button. I'm impressed. So far the new lithium- ion battery looks like it will be a good investment if it last as long as it is advertised. I just can't get over the weight difference...it's mind boggling.

Ray

I knew you would be one of the ones to actually try it. I am not surprised by the performance you experienced. Right on. 
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »
If the two batteries I purchased this Spring crap out in a couple years, I may have to look at switching over to one of these li batteries. Being the cheap sob I am, it's going be a bit traumatic for me.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline pwmorris

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2017, 03:11:34 PM »

Ray
:up: :up:
That's awesome Ray....

Offline Deye76

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2017, 04:41:31 PM »
Ray, what's the CCA on your battery?
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2017, 06:17:18 PM »

If it is the Twin Power lithium battery, it is rated at 400 CCA.

Offline m1marty

• Site Supporter
  • The Outsider
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »

If it is the Twin Power lithium battery, it is rated at 400 CCA.
Ours are 400. His is 625 iirc being a touring model.
OFFO

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »

Reply #19  its the 625 CCA model    Bob