Author Topic: Making a custom tour pack for my Softail  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
Making a custom tour pack for my Softail
« on: June 10, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »
I want a custom tour pack for my Softail, I want the basic shape of a HD pack, but want to chop it, hide the hinges, hide the latch, loose the flange, and the gasket.
I also want to reinforce it with carbon fiber, and be able to use the HD touring back rest.
So I picked this up on E-bay, it looks like it did a little slide down the road.

The tape shows where I want to chop it.
I want it big enough to fit a couple of half helmets and maybe a jacket or two but donít need it huge.
This is just for day trips with my wife, for touring I have a different set up.
First thing to do is grind off the rivets to take off the hinges.
You can see there is a nasty crack from someone opening the lid with a heavy weight on it. The fiberglass is very thin and in all honesty pretty flimsy, guess they want to keep the weight down.

Then start cutting off the flanges.

Here is what it looks like without the flanges.

Cut off the bottom, in order to mold the top to the bottom you need access from the bottom, you will understand better as we go on.

Where the crack is I am putting this temporary brace to hold it together.
All the edges have been sanded with a grinder so that the new resin will bond.

The top is smaller than the bottom so it needs a space so that when you start filling the gap it will match up. The braces are to keep the top in place, they are temporary there are also two in the front.

Turn it upside down. Next comes the glass and resin.
You can see where the crack is to the right.

Iím just putting 1-2 layers to get it started

And that is where I am at, more when I get time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:49:13 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline crock

• Site Supporter
Re: Making a custom tour pack for my Softail
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »
Looks like an awesome idea :up:
Crock

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »
Thanks Crock.
Well I was able to get a little more done this morning, first thing after it had set up I was able to give the inside another coat of glass to build it up a little, until it sets you donít want to push it out of the gap so you let it cure first.
So now you can remove the supports.

Now to start on the outside, first grind down where it was cracked to the inside where you just put the inside layer.
You want to eliminate as much damage as possible.

Then I need to get rid if the rest of the lower flange on the bottom of the pack.

Iím also beveling the bottom edge so my new glass will be smooth, and adhere.

Then need to roughen up the gel coat so the new resin will adhere.
And yes that is pretty aggressive paper, think 50.

Then ready to start building up on the outside with glass.

That is probably four to six coats of glass, I use a combination of mat and woven depending on what I am doing, last night I used the woven because I was stretching between the two parts, today I am using the mat because it builds quicker and is cheaper.
I think that my paint brush is about shot, that is four uses, clean with acetone between.
And that is where I am at this point.
More later when I have more
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:02:40 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:17:36 PM »
I was able to give it a good sanding, it is very straight and symmetrical, It had a few low spots, so those got filled in, and a final layer of woven mat.

Iím not sure what I want to do where the logo goes, I donít know if I want to fill it in or make a custom name tag for it.

Anyway it needs another sanding then it will be ready to cut the lid open, and start making the new hidden lip to keep water out.
But this is about ninety percent done of the first phase.
More later when I get more done.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Breeze

• Site Supporter
  • middle Georgia '68 Shovel,'92 Dyna, '07 E.Glide
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:22:53 AM »
Thanks Steve, I always enjoy following your projects.
I think I'll just stay home today, it looks too peoplely out there.

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
Thanks Breeze posting online keeps me motivated, and I enjoy sharing.

I got a lot more done this afternoon, here is a quick look.
I picked up this back rest on E-bay, it is the main reason for the tour pack, yes my wifeís comfort, you know happy wife happy life. It will also help hide the big wide seat that looks so out of place on my bike when she rides along. Ten, fifteen years ago, I made up a seat for her out of an old FLH seat. In all honesty it looks hideous on my bike, but it is so comfortable for her that she wonít ride on anything else. I bought her a Corbin, she hates it. I am trying to buy a Sundowner but I know she wonít like it either.
In all honesty I canít figure out how we feel the driver deserves a seat sixteen inches wide but the passenger only deserves a seat the size of a band aid.
So enough of my mumbling, that is the main reason for the tour pack to help hide the big seat.
This back rest needs some work, it is broken on one side where it bolts on, so will need to pull off the cover and fix that, it also needs to be altered some to clear where the lid is going to open, will talk about that later.

On to what I got done.
I was able to get the rough glass sanded down it is very smooth, it still needs some work but at this time it is fine. There is no need to get it perfect because fiberglass has a built in stress that when it is cut it will warp. Kind of like wood when it is cut from a log, it bends with the grain. So we want to do all the cutting before we finish the body work. There is also going to be a lot of work on the seams of the lid, so lets leave the finish work for last.
Here is where the lid is going to be cut out.

Fiberglass does not like square corners, just like aluminum and steel it causes stress points so use anything handy for the radius.

You need to drill a small hole to get your blade in so did that in the back, if will be fixed when the final body work. (you can see that in a couple of photos down.) Then you just start cutting, fiberglass is horrible on saw blades so start with a new blade so that you are not fighting it. When you fight it you start pushing too hard and that is when you get crocked. Decide which side of the line you are going to cut and stay on that side.

I want the lid to be hinged from the back, I donít want the back rest to be fastened to the lid, I want it to be fastened to the base. I want the lid to be flat where it closes so I cut it a half inch from the recessed part even though the back rest covers this slightly. You can see that in the above photo.  I will have to modify the back rest so that it does not come that far back on the tour pack.
And that is where I am at, finished with phase one and a start of phase two, cutting the lid, and making the flange for it to close on.
I had to laugh I got to looking at old photos, my front fender was a crashed up E-bay part, that was the same color as the Tour pack. My rear fender was a crashed up E-bay part that was black, so was my tank. So something tells me I need to paint my bike burgundy and black.
Oh yea starting to itch.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
Inside needs to be cleaned up rough up so the resin adheres

Then the top needs to be taped off so the resin does not stick, Iím using clear shipping tape..

Then glass in where the new lip goes.

When it cures you need to pry out the lid, GENTLY.

Trim it a little.

And there is your lip for your lid to close on.

And that is the end of phase two, now starting on the hidden hinges.

Mounting the hinges will be the most challenging part, the lid needs to move back and up at the same time, a normal hinge would have to have the pivot point an inch above and behind the lid, not practical.
These are 165 degree hinges. They open like a scissor jack with one leg longer than the other so that when it expands it moves out and back at the same time. I donít need that much opening but will limit it with some sort of a damper or electronic linear actuator.
And that is where I am at, more when I have more.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »
I was able to get the hinges mocked up and temporarily fastened. It is hard enough getting the hinges figured out even harder getting them lined up evenly. If the hinges are not aligned then they bind when they open so the best way to figure everything out is to tie them together with metal. After you get everything mounted you can always cut away any extra metal you don't want. Iím using 1/8 x2 flat aluminum. I wanted quarter inch but could not find any, and my metal shop was closed.
So here us how they are tied together.

This way you get a real good idea how they work and where the best place to mount them.

I have a couple of screws holding them on for a trial fit, at this point we donít worry about drilling holes for temporary mounting they will be filled during the last body work.

And I have to fill in the voids between the metal and the lid and between the metal and base. I am doing this by building up the fiberglass then clamping the metal to the lid with the screws this forces out the extra resin and contours the area behind the metal.

I need to do a little more filling, and then mount anchors in the filled area to have the hinge assembly bolt to it.
And that is where I am at, more later.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:59:06 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »

I was able to get a little more done, here is how it is built up under the metal where the hinges mount, first layer up the glass then clamp down the metal, let it cure. The extra will squeeze out.

Then I am using a piece of angle to fill the rest of the area the same way, layer it up with glass then clamp it down.

This is doing the same thing on the base, this give you a nice flat surface.

Here is what it looks after the second filling, it still need a little more work to make it look finished but that is later for now you have a nice flat surface to fasten your hinge plate to.

I drilled several new holes in the aluminum hinge plate for the permanent bolts, then mount the plate and drill through the base and top to mount the hinges.

There are several ways that you can anchor the bolts, I like to drill from the outside this way you know you are getting enough meat to not pull the nuts through.
You counter sink the hole enough for the nut to be buried.

Here is the top being done.

Then you epoxy the nuts in, or in this case glass resin with some filler to make it thicker.

Later I will use shorter bolts, and the nuts will be glassed over. I still have two to do, but they will go fast, I need to move them up where the glass is thicker, I drilled them not thinking about the thickness, so will do that tomorrow.
The door opens and closes perfect, the alignment need to be adjusted, the door moved around slightly, I can either adjust the hinges or make the fiberglass on the base fit the door.
The hinges help pull the door shut in the last inch that it closes so not even sure if I am going to need a latch. Not sure if I will need some way to pop it up either, it is pretty easy to just grab on both sides, and pull it open.
Any way that is where I am at, need to get a sheet of plastic to start making the bottom, I think I am going to trim the base a little more have it come up a little more in the very back.
More when I get more done.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
Started working on the new bottom, I want to trim a base a little more, it is still a little fat and make the bottom curve instead of just being flat, (I want it to match my bike a little better,) so stuck a helmet in to be sure there would be enough room. The felt marker line is just a suggestion.

Here is what the final shape is the cardboard is a copy of the first cut side to mark the other side for cutting.

So,,,,,, to make the bottom I need something to glass against, so I go to the hardware store, and tell the kid who I have never seen before that I need a piece of hard plastic that is bendable.
He looks at me like I am crazy, thinks for maybe two seconds and says ďwe donít have anything.Ē I kind of laugh and tell him, oh yea you do, not even knowing what they had that would work.
He walks away even though I was the only customer. I walk around the store that I am sure I know better than he does, I look at trash cans, storage lids, everything is like twenty bucks that would work.
Then found these.

I took it up to the counter, and the kid said ďyou should have ask me for a for rent signĒ
I said I did not know what I needed until I saw what you had.
He just walked away again.
The casher who knew that I never used what I buy for what it is intended just laughed.

And here it is with the first layer of glass.

And what it looks like from the bottom with the plastic removed.

I was able to give it a second layer, it still needs at least another two but want to let it cure so that it does not distort, plus I ran out of time.
And that is where I am at, next on the list I think phase four, it starting on a temporary mount. I need to glass in a piece of metal in the bottom of the base to reinforce where it mounts, also need the mount to be adjustable so that I can move it up and down, back and forth to get the best position for Mrs. Cruiser before I make the permanent mount.
Plus I want to see what it looks like on the bike while it is still in the raw form in case I want more changes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:50:48 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »
Because I used a piece of plastic for a mold for the bottom, and did not use any gel coat first the surface is rough and some strands showing, I want to start the finishing process so I am giving the bottom a layer of gel coat with some Black color. This way it wonít take so much work moving forward. It is important to have all the glass strands buried when you start painting or it can ruin your paint. I am not sure if the tour pack is going to be painted or not but will run it just in gel coat to make sure everything work good before the final finish.  (Probably carbon fiber)

It will be sanded and at least one more coat.

I am starting the temporary mount, these quick release mounts are from a solo rack that I made years ago, and will use them for the mock up.

Here it is just on a chunk of wood and setting on the seat. I am just getting a feel for how long the braces need to be.

And here is the general area that it is going to sit, I am going to lower it about an inch. I want it high enough that it is comfortable for my wife but low enough that it is stylish.

I still donít know what I am going to make the permanent mount out of yet, 1/4 inch aluminum plate or have a piece of stainless steel water jetted. Maybe carbon fiber and aluminum or SS.
I donít want it to be part of the style but blend in.
I want to make sure of the placement, and comfort before going much farther on a permanent mount.
I need to start on the speaker cases next they will help decide on where the pack is mounted also, they will wrap around the seat and I need to see those before making a final decision.
And that is where I am at.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
One more coat of gel to the bottom, this time applied with a squeegee to fill the voids.

And donít ask what I am doing now, the answer would probably be ďSomething stupid to make more work.Ē

And that is where I am at more later when I get more done.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »
And pop it off.

Sorry the photos arenít better.

This is only one layer of glass so it is very flexible easy to get it to unglued from the tape. I really like using the shipping tape glass hardly stick to it makes popping pretty easy.

And on the tour pack.

It is way to ďHeavyĒ so needs to go on a diet.
Those are dividers, I am using them to mark where I want to cut.
I want the back rest shorter and I want the back of the back rest moved forward and more of a slant. As long as the dividers are perpendicular it will mark where the two pieces will line up after cut.

After cutting the front line.

Then cutting the back line.

I want to do another trim to get the back of the back rest angled a little more I want it to flow into the tour pack and the top just a tad lower about an inch but that is the general shape. I donít want the back rest to overpower the tour pack.
Its 98 degrees out and 90 percent humidity in my open air shop, so air condition breaks feel good.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:06:09 AM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »
I want to make sure the angle is right for the back rest, it will eventually have a padded leather cover in the front.
So old phone that has an angle finder checked against my nephews FLH

Here are the two glassed together, it was cut down even more and the back part laid down more.

You can see there is a gap on both sides that need fixed, and the very back needs to flow better. So a little tape to keep the filler off the base.

Then the areas the need to be changed are filled with Plaster Paris.

Plaster Paris cures very fast, and is easy to sand when set.
And then you glass over the changed area.

All the plaster paris and anything under this layer will be ground out from underneath before it is attached permanently to the base.
You can see how the back flows into the base better.

You could use body filler, and take your time and make the back rest perfect, but the areas filled would be too thick, and heavy so you would need to make a mold, then cast a new part, but doing it this way is just as time/cost effective.

Oh yea, decided to keep the recessed area where the name tag was, and ordered this, it needs to be trimmed a tad, and the corners rounded slightly.

And that is where I am at, more later.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 07:43:15 PM »
I need to cut out the plaster between the two layers that was added to fix the contour of the back rest.

Now that the plaster is gone you can add more layers underneath and start sizing the glass, or making it smooth, I have not done that yet I will do everything at once so I am moving on to the speaker boxes. I donít want them to follow the arm rest, I want the boxes to flow with the base. To do this need to extent the glass, this time I sprung for a for sale sign.

It is screwed to the base and follows the curves. There is one rule for body work on Harleys, there are no flat surfaces so the plastic follows the contour.

And then you can glass the inside, attaching it to the base.

Pop off the plastic and you have your side. This is only one layer, this way it is still pliable and you are able to match one side to the other if they need to be changed. The addition is way bigger than needs to be, easer to subtract than add. I will make some cardboard templets to make sure both sides match.

And here is the second side, I waited until the first side had cured before doing the second, this way you can pull the plastic to the shape that you want.

And here is the back rest sitting on the base, you can see it is up at least two inches, I will trim both pieces so that they fit together
I am not sure where I want the cuts to be yet, probably cut the ends off the arm rest and nestle it into the extensions. This is where things get complicated, deciding on design features and figuring out the engineering aspect of what needs to be done when. It is also where things get boring, there is a lot of sanding to do and easy to look for an excuse to take a break, especially when you are itching and hot. And in all honesty looks like cra.......... easy to get discouraged.

There is still a ton of work to do, More later when I get more done.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:03:23 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »

I was able to get a lot done however at this point the photos donít look like it.
A little more trimming.

Time to mount the temporary mount.

This way I can sit on it and see how it feels and make any adjustments. And yea it is very comfortable.

It needs the front cut out so that the speakers can fit, also need to be able to access it from inside to glass the two together.

Yea, canít be considered custom until you shed some blood on it.

After a whole lot more trimming, and some more sizing.
Next thing is to glass the back rest to the base, need to put supports on to position it.

And glass it on, this if the first coat on the outside, it will be reinforced from the bottom after it sets.

And that is where we are at, more later.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
Well I donít like these wings on the edges, on the vinyl one they were part of the seams and the natural shape of the back rest, and it is also what makes the back rest wider than the tour pack so off they go.

We are stepping up the design a little and the holes are getting larger so time to use a little modeling clay, you can get this at any hobby shop, not that expensive and last forever, very reusable, this stuff is at least ten years old.

It does not have to be perfect, the sizing will take care of any small imperfections.

Moving on the front, tying everything together.

Iím missing the glassing over that, so you just have to imagine that.
Then need to fill in the arm rest, same thing modeling clay, take you time easy to change now hard to change once it is glass.

Then glass over that, I am using woven cloth it is easy to work with on areas like this and I donít want to build it up to much, it will be reinforced from underneath with a couple of layers of mat before I start sizing this area.

I need to pull out the clay and clean it up before adding the inside layer, the clay has an oil base and so needs to be clean before you glass on any area that it was worked with.
Next is ton of sizing, sanding so there wonít be a lot of fast changes. I want to wait a few days to start the sizing, I have found that if I work with the glass more than three days I start to itch so bad I canít stand it, but one or two days, I can tolerate it. And once I get started, I want to get most of the sizing done at one time.
I am only working on this a couple of hours a day, usually in the afternoon after I get all my chores done, so progress takes time, and I am not a pro so it takes time.
For what its worth, I really like the shape of it, the lines flow much better I am very pleased.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:34:24 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
I spent the weekend sanding and making one last change, I told myself that the design work was done, then think of something to change.
So,,,,,,,,,,,, how about a little, gees donít know what to call it, tail?

Everything is pretty straight, you sand until it is smooth and straight then fill the low voids and sand again, you can see the areas that have been filled and ready to sand again.
If you get the glass too thin then you fill it from the inside, you don't need the glass real thick, stock is about 1/8 , on this 3/16 of an inch is plenty, more is just extra weight. And since this is removable and extends back so far any extra weight is unwelcome, and there are going to be plenty of extras that are going to add weight.

An easy way to check you contour on a curved area us using a flexible ruler.

You can see the low areas that need to be filled with glass.

I want to show you a little trick to get your complex surfaces straight, you make a contoured sand pad.

Tape it off, glass it and add a handle.

Pop it off.

Glue some sand paper on with contact adhesive and sand away.

And one for the back.

Donít forget to put your tape down first or you wonít get if off your work area I have several of these custom pads that I have made over the years, one for fenders, it is especially handy to get the right contour. Normally on a fender because of the curve you have a tendency to sand flat spots so these eliminate that.

And that is where I am, I still have a little sanding to do on the glass, but the majority of the glass work is done, (Thank goodness,) next comes the body work and getting the lid to fit perfect.
More when I have more.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:37:18 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 07:14:37 PM »
You are a talented, patient man! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
My boss always says mean things to me,
like, "You're late."

Offline Paniolo

• Ride Like a Pro West Coast
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »
I like it! Well done on all aspects.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
Hossamania, Paniolo, Thanks guys, man I hit the wall this morning, woke this morning itching, just plain tired of sanding fiberglass, had to force myself out into the shop, once I got started made some real progress.
First I want to tell about an argument between practical Cruiser and geek Cruiser, geek wanted a electronic linear actuator, practical cruiser said to keep it simple so letís take a look.

In order to open the lid it takes five pounds of pressure, the smallest most practical 12v actuator will lift ten pounds max, I need a actuator ten inches travel, the overall length of the actuator is the travel plus four inches so fourteen inches. Then Mr. it canít be done Cruiser showed up with a ruler.

You can see in order to mount it the angle would be to acute to lift the lid with the weight restriction. Yea there are larger actuators but they are too large for the area and weight comes into play so no electric lid opener. Mr. Geek Cruiser is a little disappointed but knows the argument is over.

So I finished the glass sized and moved on.
I had a few last holes nuts to fill.

Next thing on the list is getting the doors to close and fit right.
When I put the door on last time it did not want to close right, nice thing about these hinges it that they are adjustable. So moved them around and they close perfect.
This is a big rasp that I am using to get the lid edge straight.

Clean up the lip.

We are not worried about the other side of the gap because we are going to fill the gap, in order to do that we mask off the lid so that the filler does not stick, then we mix up some body filler with a little resin and fill the gap.

You can see the resin makes the filler a little thinner and easy to squeeze into the gap. It also makes the body filler much harder and less likely to break out.

Then you pull the tape out.

And then we are ready to start the body work. This is the same mixture with the resin in the filler.

The resin makes the filler a little harder to sand, but it also matches the hardness of the glass when it comes to sanding. Regularly the filler sands out next to the glass and leaves a low spot this way they sand the same.
I got maybe fifty percent of the body work done, I am not going to show a bunch of body filler and sand photo.
The tour pack is very straight even though there is no need to get everything perfect because there is still going to be a layer of Carbon fiber over everything, and a pad on the front. Although I want it pretty nice because I will probably run with it for a while before the last layer to make sure everything works good.
And that is where I am at, going to try to get a coat of black gel, guide coat on tonight then start of the permanent mount brackets tomorrow. They are going to be carbon fiber with a plywood, steel core.
More later.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:42:29 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »

I was able to get a coat of black gel coat on.

This is just a guide coat so that you can see your flaws, and gives you a idea when you have low spot when sanding, it is also a good base for future body work after doing so much glass repair.
It is still a little sticky so needs to cure a little longer.

I started on the permanent mounts.

The sprite box is the shape of the tour pack, and using the temporary mount to get the right height and placement of the pack.
Trace around the metal base and the bottom of the pack, it is important to keep track where your mount holes are on the bottom of the pack.

This is the basic shape that I am going for.
Transfer it to your plywood

This plywood is a piece of cabinet grade plywood, it has probably eight ten layers ply. It is very stable and strong, will make a good core for the carbon fiber.
And then cut it out.

I am not to worried about being perfect, fast is fine because it will be trimmed more as I see where it needs a diet.
Plus you always need to remember that this might end up just being a pattern if you donít like what you see and want to start over.

And here is what it looks like on the bike.

I am going to use the old metal plate from the bottom of the temporary mount inside the new mount, it will be encapsulated in the plywood and be bolted and epoxied in the middle.
So need to cut a grove for it to fit.

It metal will be trimmed at the back, and added to in the front, I want the front to grab the bolt in the very front just to be a little stronger.
You can see the bolt just in front of where the plywood stops.

It still needs a lot of trimming, the back of the pack needs to come down and changes for visual improvements but you get the idea of where I am going.
Under the seat will be a grab bar, it will be made of carbon fiber with plywood core also.
Next is trimming the mount and getting the final shape then I will use the first one to make the second side.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
I did some more fitting, getting the top of the mount match the bottom of the pack, to do that you scribe the wood.

Then sand it to fit, I use a sanding station to do this, fifty grit belt takes it down pretty fast.
After all the fitting I decided that the pack needed to be moved back an inch and that it was an inch too low. So easer to fix it now as latter, like I said before this mount might end up as a pattern so here is how you do that and change the dimensions on the copy, rough it out with a jig saw, then the pattern is screwed to the new copy and you reposition it around to increase the height.
I am using a mica trimming bit in the router.

Then you use the copy to make another copy.

I know it seems like a lot of extra work, but this only took an hour or so to make the two new copies, the new permanent mounts, at least letís hope these are the permanent mounts;-)

I threw on a little stain, actually a little black paint in some mineral spirits, to get rid of the white.

Drill your holes for the bolts.
Notice the two pieces of wood in the vice so that the mount sits at an angle I did this so that it fits in my drill press and does not hit the back of the drill. I made these out of scrap pieces of cherry with a chop saw.

And yes I need to mow my yard.
I did clean my work area since I am done sanding fiberglass, actually flipped the piece of plywood over.
And here are the new mounts.

And on the pack.

I need to put it on the bike, give it a fitting; I want to use it a little make sure everything is comfortable while I do the last work on the mounts. The hole in the middle needs work, needs to be cleaned up edges sanded and edges 1/4 radius.
Also feel that the mount needs a brace between the two but not sure what I want there yet.
I need to figure out where I want to put all my electrical stuff I donít want it inside the pack. I need a place for the amp, circuit board for the LEDís and the wireless controller for the lineal actuator. Yes you read that right, Geek Cruiser would not give up, it should be here Monday.
I also need to cut the tails off of the metal bases, but want to wait, I ordered some locks for the base and donít know how they will mount yet so will cut those later and move them to the front to help hold the front down.
Oh yea showed the progress to Mrs Cruiser and she ask "where is the cup holder going to be?"
Hummmmmmm.............
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:18:05 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
Well I ended up moving the pack back another three quarters of an inch.
As carful as I was with my measurements on the mounts and the holes in the bottom of the pack when mounted the pack sat crooked on the bike. I am still not sure where the problem is, so I had to cheat and move one side back a quarter of an inch, no photo for that sorry but I am sure you can see that in your mind.
I put the mount on tightened up all the bolts and nuts and took the bike for a ride to town with it on.
I spent more time looking in the mirror making sure it did not fall off and was sliding down the road;-)
It felt a little weird, you can definitely feel the extra weight especially since it is so high up and I donít know if itís physiological but felt like it was catching the wind a lot. But it rode well, it was moving around some, it needs a side brace between the two mounts, but we knew that. Most of the movement was between the wood and the metal mount plate. Since there is only one bolt holding it on both sides that will be taken care of when the plate is epoxied in so will not worry about that.
It is also going to need the locks mostly for reassurance that it will not come forward, backwards is not a problem because of the design.
I got several looks and I was only in town for five minutes, those ďwhat the ÖÖÖĒ looks. You know the looks, like ďthat guy painted that tour pack with a paint brush and bed linerĒ looks.
But the ride was to make sure it rode well not to show the world.
Getting it out of the barn it does look a little wide on the bike especially in the back, the photo makes it look even wider.
I am not sure if I am going to do anything about that, it is a little late to section it and take out a couple of inches.
I think part of the problem is the finish making it look bigger than it is so going to start the body work and wait and see. And at this point I am not even sure how I would do that, I guess cut off both sides and try to bend them in, it would be a major project.
Also the back is not as flat as the photo makes it look like

I am also going to start on the seat, ok an update of seat history you rember the corbin seat that I bought and started to cover that Mrs. Cruiser did not like, I also bought a sundowner seat that is really nice, (I bought it cheap creg list) I did not even ask her to try it is it so narrow. I sat on the passenger pad and would not ride on it around the block it was so thin.
So she loves the old FLH seat that I did for her years ago, so I picked up a FLH pad on Ebay.

You can see how much larger the FLH pad is compared to the sundowner.

I am going to take that pad and put it on the Corbin pan and re-upholster it. I am not sure if I am going to use leather or vinyl. Leather is beautiful but here in Fl not real practical because of the mold issue. It would have to be stored in the air conditioned area taken off any time the humidity was bad, so will probably use a nice grade of vinyl.
I will probably have someone cover it for me, as my sewing machine is just an old singer and will not do upholstery work very well, plus we all need to know our limitations and this I want nice. Sooooooo.

Started the final body work.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:58:49 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 07:12:09 PM »
Looking good, you've been busy!
I don't think the box will look quite as wide with a body on the bike.
Good luck with the next steps.
My boss always says mean things to me,
like, "You're late."