Author Topic: Line Leveler for 2013 Radio  (Read 652 times)

Offline eglideic

Line Leveler for 2013 Radio
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
 I'm putting an amp in a 2013 model that has the stock HK radio and I need a line leveler for the front speakers. I don't want an adjustable one at all. I think Rockford Fosgate makes one that might work. What are (budget minded) people using for these older bikes?

Also is anyone familiar with CDT Audio CL 6EX.2 (2 Ohm version) 6.5" coaxial 2-way speakers? Any better than Infinity Kappa 62.11I?

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
Re: Line Leveler for 2013 Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »
I use these... https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-Variable-Line-Converter/dp/B001EAWS3W/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CRMQR83HQVF193PMQVQD

I know you said you don't want adjustable so.... don't adjust it :)

I had the Kappas in my '15 Limited. They're great speakers, but a little "bright". Another suggestion would be Polk MM651s.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
just use the one Rockout posted. Gonenorth and I just went through this with his BMW and we used one much like Rockout posted and it worked fine. I know I would not spend $80 for one!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline eglideic

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
just use the one Rockout posted. Gonenorth and I just went through this with his BMW and we used one much like Rockout posted and it worked fine. I know I would not spend $80 for one!

I'll say it once again. I don't want an adjustable one. The J&M one or an identical one, with a lower price is exactly what I want. I'll wait till November when my next check arrives, if the J&M one is all that's out there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:57:57 PM by eglideic »

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »

I'll say it once again. I don't want an adjustable one. The J&M one or an identical one, with a lower price is exactly what I want. I'll wait till November when my next check arrives, if the J&M one is all that's out there.

well as Rockout posted "don't adjust it"    :hyst:

Offline eglideic

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »

well as Rockout posted "don't adjust it"    :hyst:

OK. Then I'll need your mailing address. I will buy the Rockford one and have it sent straight to you so "you" can adjust it for me.
 The only reason I ONLY want a non adjustable one is that I have no training or knowledge on how to adjust it correctly. So that would be one less thing that I can screw up.
 Or when you said "don't adjust it", did you mean it is sent from the factory pre adjusted, so I would never have to touch the knob?
 The NON adjustable J&M leveler is made JUST for my year and model range of bike. So no adjusting. Idiot proof.
 That is why I ONLY want a non adjustable leveler compatible with my bike.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:24:51 PM by eglideic »

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:04:01 PM »
I don't know why I try to help! :banghead: Eglideic, I don't know why you post for help, people help you, and you refuse it!!

Don't adjust it!
I have no clue how to properly adjust it either, just wired it up and it worked so I called it good. I think for $10 and a few more $$ for a cable it would be worth a try, and you never know, if you ask nice maybe someone would get you info on adjusting it, if it is necessary.

Offline eglideic

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 05:54:56 AM »
I don't know why I try to help! :banghead: Eglideic, I don't know why you post for help, people help you, and you refuse it!!

Don't adjust it!
I have no clue how to properly adjust it either, just wired it up and it worked so I called it good. I think for $10 and a few more $$ for a cable it would be worth a try, and you never know, if you ask nice maybe someone would get you info on adjusting it, if it is necessary.

I don't know why someone like me with limited knowledge of these, shouldn't insist on installing idiot proof levelers.
 I haven't gotten any info on other brands, so J&M must be the only place that makes these. Thanks for everything.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »
Not sure Why I am helping,  :banghead:
but that J&M item is not a speaker level to pre-amp converter. It is just a harness to work with J&M's amplifier. If you are using an amp with adjustable inputs it will work. If you are using an amp with no adjustments on the inputs it will most likely overload the input of the amp. So either you use an adjustable $10 line to pre-amp converter, with adjustments, or an amp with input adjustments, either way you will need to adjust something.

Personally, I would buy the $10 one mentioned earlier. I know it will work with any amp.

Offline eglideic

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 05:53:21 AM »
Not sure Why I am helping,  :banghead:
but that J&M item is not a speaker level to pre-amp converter. It is just a harness to work with J&M's amplifier. If you are using an amp with adjustable inputs it will work. If you are using an amp with no adjustments on the inputs it will most likely overload the input of the amp. So either you use an adjustable $10 line to pre-amp converter, with adjustments, or an amp with input adjustments, either way you will need to adjust something.

Personally, I would buy the $10 one mentioned earlier. I know it will work with any amp.

How many times must I say this. I know it will work. I'm positive it will work. It absolutely will work.
 The PROBLEM is my lack of ability to set the adjustment CORRECTLY.
 Why should I ever NOT use a leveler like the J&M unit with NO adjustment knob. It is IDIOT PROOF. It can't be screwed up.
 That is the ONLY kind of leveler I will use. That is all I was looking for, is a more affordable version of the J&M leveler.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »
Good luck, even though it is not what you want!  Once again, according from information from J&M, that cable is not a line level to pre-amp converter. I just went through this with J&M myself, but what do I know!

I'm done! :banghead:

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »
The reason the levelers available are adjustable is because not one size fits all. The amount of attenuation changes based on the head unit it's to be used with. If you want a fixed one, go buy the older one from Biketronics. Just know that it's designed for the stock HK radio.  Their newer ones are adjustable so you can match the head unit.
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline eglideic

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »
Good luck, even though it is not what you want!  Once again, according from information from J&M, that cable is not a line level to pre-amp converter. I just went through this with J&M myself, but what do I know!

I'm done! :banghead:

I'm done too. Nobody here could wrap their head around to understand what I wanted and kept trying to misdirect me.
 I went ahead and ordered the $80. J&M non adjustable RCA adapter. This is what it says it does.

"You are buying a J&M Audio Isolated RCA Input Amplifier Adapter Harness which fits 2006-2013 Electra Glides, Ultras, Road Glides, Street Glides and Tri-Glide Trikes.

This is a plug-and-play, isolated, RCA input adapter harness to connect the 2006-2013 Harley-Davidson HK radio, to the RCA inputs of most high-powered 12v automotive type audio amplifiers. Use this harness to bring the amplifier input gain controls into a useful range of adjustment, when setting up and tuning a high-performance Bagger audio system.

This custom built J&M adapter harness will also remove the “speaker fault” condition when running the Harley-Davidson HK radio diagnostics & eliminate any possible DC current that might otherwise travel between the HK radio and the amplifier. Amplifier gain control adjustment guidelines also included."

It's EXACTLY what I wanted  I was only looking for a more budget minded one.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »
I'm done too. Nobody here could wrap their head around to understand what I wanted and kept trying to misdirect me.
 I went ahead and ordered the $80. J&M non adjustable RCA adapter. This is what it says it does.

You call it misdirect, I call it help. People here were trying to help you with your problem, but you didn't want to listen.

The adjustable line level controllers are easy to use. As far as adjustment, turn it down all the way, then turn it up until it works, about as simple as that. About as tricky as adjusting the volume on you radio. You spent $80 for something you could have spent $10 for if you would have listened and accepted the advice given. Hopefully the $80 adapter works for you, it might not.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:00:20 PM by PoorUB »

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
Probably should have just got this one.   :nix:

Fixed Line Leveler

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
or this one.   :nix:

Line Leveler

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »
or this one.   :nix:

Line Leveler

No that one is adjustable... Have you not been paying attention?  :slap:

:teeth:

Offline gonenorth

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »
High/Low Line Converter off of Hamazon for under $15.  Working fine.  Just sayin...

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 07:47:24 PM »
No that one is adjustable... Have you not been paying attention?  :slap:

:teeth:

I'm not sure, I've had a head knock recently, so probably not, oh look a squirrel.   :hyst: 

Offline FurryOne

• Site Supporter
    • Erie Canal HOG Chapter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
It's EXACTLY what I wanted  I was only looking for a more budget minded one.

I'm probably going to get killed here, but let me interject something.  I'm going to assume (There's that Baaaad word!) the what we're talking about here is adding an amplifier between the HK's speaker outputs and the speakers. (If I'm wrong, stop reading at this point.)  If that's the case, what you have is an impedance mismatch because the HK is looking to drive a 2-16 ohm load (the speaker), and the input to the Amp looks like a  1,000-10,000 ohm load.  Also, the output of the HK to the speakers is 0-30 volts (or more) while the input to the Amp wants to see maybe 0-8 volts max.  So what these adapters do is have an audio transformer that presents 8 ohms to the HK, and maybe 5,000 ohms to the Amp (They vary the windings on the transformer to lower the voltage that's presented to the Amp to try to protect it from being overdriven.)  When you use a variable adapter you set your HK's volume low, and listen to the speakers - is the sound clear?  Is it distorted?  Try adjusting the adapter to see what difference it makes.  You can gradually increase the volume in steps on the HK and again listen for distortion.  It's a dance between the setting on the adapters and the volume of the HK. 

Offline Templer

• For God and Country
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
If you have trouble with the no leveler adjustment, then what you going to do with amp input adjustment pot(s) in the amp?