Author Topic: Harley: Need Help With Base Map for Fresh Engine Build Using SEPST  (Read 257 times)

Offline nomadmax

Need Help With Base Map for Fresh Engine Build Using SEPST
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
I'm almost finished installing my re-built engine from Vee Twin. My intention is to start it tomorrow and run it thru some heat cycles, then put 50 miles on it and change the oil. My tune on the ECM with the SEPST is for a 96", stock cams, heads, hi-flow filter and a D&D Fatcat.

What I have now is:

S&S 4 3/8" crank, Timken conversion
CP 107 forged pistons 10.25-1
Heads street ported
S&S 583 gear drive cams, ez start
S&S TC3 oil pump
S&S premium lifters
S&S adjustable pushrods

I am as green as a pea when it comes to fuel injected tuning. Despite doing a lot of my own work, up to and including engine R&R, I am a rider who is forced to be a mechanic; I possess no true talent for it.

From what I think I've learned this far, the tune depends on a number of things but what I want to try and match closely with my base map is displacement, intake & exhaust cam opening, duration and closing.

In looking at the 583 cams the closest SE cam that's in my tuning software is a 103" with 255 cams, intake, exhaust and ACRs closed. (I don't have any ACRs because of the ez start cams)

So here's the question:

Will that tune suffice for the heat cycles and a 50 mile break in ride until I can auto tune ?

Is there a map out there that's closer ?

Thanks in advance

PS
Dealing with Kirby at Vee Twin was a pure pleasure. He even met me at the track in Bowling Green, KY while he was racing to save me shipping the engine or driving to Florida.

Offline Herko

• Southern Indiana (Louisville KY Metro Area)
Re: Need Help With Base Map for Fresh Engine Build Using SEPST
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:48:45 PM »
Find a tuner guy that is experienced in heat cycling/break-in on the Dyno while simultaneously initiating the initial phases of the tuning process.
Trailer it to him to gain peace of mind and then enjoy the rewards of your build.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Offline nomadmax

Re: Need Help With Base Map for Fresh Engine Build Using SEPST
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 02:14:48 AM »
Thank you sir.