Author Topic: trike primary  (Read 665 times)

Offline david lee

trike primary
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
bought my trike with the rev tek motor and hd 4 sp box. my question is it has no oil lines going to the primary to lube the chain.he used to take the inspection plate off and spray the chain with lube.i read somewhere that some put a certain amount of oil in the primary.also what is the best gasket and sealant to use upon assembly.i hate oil leaks. thanks all

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
Re: trike primary
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
If that primary is sealed up, (I like Cometic Gaskets) put enough of your favorite flavor in the primary to let the chain sling it around. Usually just up to the clutch basket is enough.

I have ran ATF, Redline MTL, 20w50 dino, 50 dino, 10w40 etc. etc. etc.

These days both the 76 FLH and the 12 FLHTCU use Redline MTL in the primary.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline crock

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:45:44 AM »
Have always ran Type F atf because that's what Barnett recommends and it seems to work well. As for as gaskets go I have had the best luck with the beaded ones.
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Primary-Cover-Beaded-Gasket-Seal-Kit-w-Derby-1966-84-Softail-Dyna-Shovelhead/122621001481?hash=item1c8cc7ff09:g:6-sAAOSwSCZZfCSt&vxp=mtr
But the last time I had it apart I picked one up at a local indi shop like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60538-81-SHOVELHEAD-OUTER-PRIMARY-COVER-GASKET/182505996799?hash=item2a7e3481ff:g:7HMAAOSwMQBaIeDf&vxp=mtr
put a bead of black RTV on BOTH sides and 2 years later not a drip.
Crock

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
Post some good pictures of it now that you have it !!

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »
Yes, looking forward to more details. Seems a well put together ride.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline david lee

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »
will try to post better pics.one thing that has to go is the handle bars.there buckhorn style 90cm wide with next to no pullback making it hard to reach and with turning where as my shovel has 70cm with pullback and are comfortable.my only other question is the lh bar switch has the wires loom going thru the bars for the horn  high beam, blinker.would the conectors be in the headlight and at the horn.thanks all

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
Follow the wires out of the bottom of the bars. If I remember right, on Softails the connectors are under the tank.

Offline david lee

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
Follow the wires out of the bottom of the bars. If I remember right, on Softails the connectors are under the tank.
just had a quick look and the loom from the bars go to a t junction behind the headlight seems like some go to the hlight and some go under the tank.will have to unravel the harness insulation tape to find what goes where.when you mean under the tank do you mean under the speedo my shovel has the wires on the outside of the bars thanks again

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 06:18:41 PM »
If it is easy to pull the dash and speedo, start there to get a better idea of how it is working. Custom bikes have custom wiring, often.

Offline david lee

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 01:46:07 AM »
If it is easy to pull the dash and speedo, start there to get a better idea of how it is working. Custom bikes have custom wiring, often.
im thinking the wiring is not original and boggy.i hpe not well see when i investergate thanks

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »
Custom bikes have custom wiring, often.
     :up:  real often
[/quote]im thinking the wiring is not original and boggy
[/quote]          see above , its custom bike , a lot of things will be different than stock . did you get any paperwork or info on who bilt it and what was used , frame , rearend etc. ?

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:55 AM »
Any more info on this trike? What model year is it registered as?
I have a feeling that future inquiries will need to be made in the Evo or General sections, as that is definitely an Evo looking motor, and early Softails did come with a four speed.

Offline david lee

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »
Any more info on this trike? What model year is it registered as?
I have a feeling that future inquiries will need to be made in the Evo or General sections, as that is definitely an Evo looking motor, and early Softails did come with a four speed.
it is registered as a 1967 model with a 88cube revtec motor and a hd 4 speed.im still looking into the frame as its a one piece with 2 lots of numbers stamped.1 on the front in the usual spot and 1 near the oil tank.all the welds look factory.a mate said there must be a site wher you can enter the frame number and find out what it is.the engine number matches the rego certificate but the certificate says 1200 cc. im a bit confused.do you know of a site that sells an electric reverse.thanks for your interest

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »
Well hell, son, you have quite a machine there. You have some detective work in front of you.
Post up some more pics here, I'm sure you'll get some help on what you have going there.

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 01:51:04 AM »
Cant tell by welds , plenty of great welders . 67 ? wow , you would think with all of the regulations you have there you would need more history of build . It would help yourself to post some good pictures . I'm thinking it would have to be a Servicar frame rear welded to a Shovel front . do you have a MSO on anything ? Vin numbers on title match what piece of trike ?  drum brakes on rear ? 

?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 02:16:39 AM by hbkeith »

Offline david lee

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 05:39:27 AM »
i will have to see a mate to post more pics.what is mso.all numbers match the title and is registered as a servi car- cycle.the previous owner assures me its not 2 frames welded together and was built by a frame builder. more detective work could be required for peace of mind. thanks

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »
just wander where 1967 comes from then . MSO is manufactures statement of origin , custom frames and engines like a revTech come with them .  have drum brakes ??  .  I looked at putting a Shovel engine in my Servicar , lots of Fab work
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:33:04 AM by hbkeith »

Offline friday

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 11:58:21 AM »
steering on G is 23 degrees , FL = 30 degrees , FXST = 30 - 32 degrees .

the front section cant be 67 to hold an EVO . chances are genuine one piece fab .

mind you guys cut G frame for the front section to build a solo , leaving the rear for someone else .

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »
steering on G is 23 degrees , FL = 30 degrees , FXST = 30 - 32 degrees .

the front section cant be 67 to hold an EVO . chances are genuine one piece fab .

mind you guys cut G frame for the front section to build a solo , leaving the rear for someone else .
       just thinking that trike got the 1967 from something , but I have seen a EVO engine in a 1975 FLH

Offline david lee

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »
just talked to the previous owner and he dosent know where 1967 model came from but did say its a solo with a servi car rear and was once registered with a flathead and panhead motors.i thought it was a one piece frame. whoever built the frame done a brilliant job. it has a 1980 ford diff with drum brakes and disc front.a mate wants to fit a proper wiring harness and blinkers as under the dash panel there are wires joined everywhere. also a hydrolic clutch.thank all

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
just talked to the previous owner and he dosent know where 1967 model came from but did say its a solo with a servi car rear .

the previous owner assures me its not 2 frames welded together and was built by a frame builder. more detective work could be required for peace of mind. thanks
                At this point any info you get here will be assumed off a 2" picture

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
How did they convert a Ford rear axle from driveshaft to a chain drive?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline crock

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 06:15:17 AM »
How did they convert a Ford rear axle from driveshaft to a chain drive?

-JW
Was wondering that as well
Crock

Offline friday

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »
servi has RH chain , Evo has LH chain . maybe its just ford hubs and drums on it to accept stud pattern

Offline david lee

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
now im curious .youse could be right. more detective work