Author Topic: M8 motor top mount  (Read 873 times)

Offline BigT

M8 motor top mount
« on: December 16, 2017, 11:45:19 AM »
I started the disassembly process on my top end to install a 117Ē setup on my 107. The top motor mount had a lot of pressure on it and when I removed 1st bolt the engine shifed about 1/2Ē where I canít even get the bolt out that holds the motor mount bracket to the head . The bolts hits the frame. Iíve never seen this on any EVO or Twin Cam Iíve worked on. Is this normal?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:24:40 PM by BigT »

Offline Thermodyne

Re: M8 motor top mount
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »
As a rule, the link bolts should slip right in. 

It's on a jack and not on the side stand?  Jack not lifting something it shouldn't?

Offline HV

• New Brunswick CANADA ( East Coast )
  • Administrator
  • 2013 FLTRX * Member Dec/2000*
    • HTT Admin
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
The proper way to remove the top link is to jack the Primary side of the engine after the link is loosened and take the pressure off the bolts...  Remove the Link where it attaches to the frame .......remove the LH bolt ...jack the engine until the RH Bolt is clear of the frame down tube and remove the Bolt
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Offline BigT

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:02:10 AM »
Thanks!

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:34:55 AM »
After removal of a few dozen's of these engines its more common in this M8 than before.  Some are lined up . most are well out of alignment and you have no other option but to force the engine into the proper direction and get the bolt in.

A little off topic .. But its about the engine set up .. I have to remove pivot shaft and slide trans back as in all of the ones I have removed not one engine will come out of the frame with trans in normal location.  It contacts in the front where the new counter balancer is and the case is larger.

So When I re install the engine I have the ability to move it around some " within reason" it still does not want to allow mounts to slip fit back in  .  These bikes are the big wheel baggers ,. We  have contracts with a few companys that build these.. We pull the engine & trans do the engine work while frame is being cut and powder coated. 

I have to wonder if there will be a frame change in the near future . as in some cases its really no fun and the engine is bound up badly in my opinion ..
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX