Author Topic: Security system Question  (Read 823 times)

Offline FXDBI

Re: Security system Question
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
I have found using a battery charger on a AGM with more than 2 amps cooks them and seriously shortens there  (their) life.

I find this hard to believe.  What if your battery was discharged the same amount when you started your bike and the voltage regulator hit the battery with 3 amps or more?  Would THAT ruin your battery?  Doubt it.

Also .75 amp is enough to charge a battery, it just takes longer than say 10 amps.  And if the battery is brand new, never been charged before, .75 amp is exactly what you want to charge it with in many cases.

PC

Believe what you want just relating my experience, I did in a couple of batteries before the light went on.  I don't worry about it any more went to a anti gravity lithium with one of there chargers. Best money I spent in a long time.   Bob   

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
Battery tender
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »
I bought a Battery Tender plus last week (Thursday) and hooked it up.

Every night has been between 6 and 18 degrees since and my green steady light ( fully charged is on)

I have been checking the voltage every day and it is at a consistent 13.33 V

From what I read in the directions this is what it should be when fully charged.. Between 100 and 103 % of 12,8 to 12.9

So far so good 

Thanks to Y'all for suggesting that route rather than my thought about removing the battery and bringing it inside

:beer: 
where's the points and condenser ?
Tom / aka motor

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2018, 09:42:24 AM »
When you are checking voltage, make sure the tender is disconnected. Let it sit a minute, turn your ignition on momentarily then off. Then check voltage. That will give you the truest battery reading. You want to bleed off the extra "resilient" voltage, for lack of a better term.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2018, 09:49:40 AM »
When you are checking voltage, make sure the tender is disconnected. Let it sit a minute, turn your ignition on momentarily then off. Then check voltage. That will give you the truest battery reading. You want to bleed off the extra "resilient" voltage, for lack of a better term.

Thanx Hoss

I was checking while still hooked up to make sure I wasn't over charging. Numbers I see are in spec.

I'll do what you suggest this afternoon.. I'm pretty sure the standing voltage will be around 12.8 even a couple of hours after disconnecting the charger.  That where it usually was when using the conventional charger to bring it back up from 12.60 or so.
Tom / aka motor

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »

OK Hoss I disconnected the Tender waited a couple of minutes, turn ignition on for a few seconds and then off.

Reading was 12.97

Left Tender disconnected went back and checked a couple of hours later :

Reading was 12.86

Ambient temp is 51 degrees

Looks good to me

Tender back on and I'm done thinking about it   :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Tom / aka motor

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2018, 03:29:31 PM »
That's the easiest way to deal with it - don't worry about it, buy a new one when it finally ticks you off.
Have you done a running voltage test on your charging system?

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2018, 03:48:28 PM »
That's the easiest way to deal with it - don't worry about it, buy a new one when it finally ticks you off.
Have you done a running voltage test on your charging system?

Yes   14.3 V @ 2000 RPM

At idle it varies but always above 13 V

It always starts good other than the occasional "hot soak" crank.   Never an issue on a cold start after sitting. I just don't like how the standing voltage will drop when it's real cold after sitting for a couple of days. Security system off.

Tom / aka motor

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
The Tender will solve all that.