Author Topic: Security system Question  (Read 797 times)

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
Re: Security system Question
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
May I also suggest getting a battery tender? It comes with the pigtail so charging doesn't require pulling the seat. You can also figure out a way to use a regular charger through the pigtail if you want (I use the clamps that come with the Tender, plugged into the tail, then clamp to clamp on the charger.) The tender keeps the battery going a little longer in life too. Kind of.
You can buy the pigtail separately as well, without the tender. I think I've got three or four laying around.

Ya I thought about buying a tender.. These batteries just suck,, LOL   Never needed one before.  Still haven't taken battery out of the bike.

It was 21 degrees here this am and standing voltage was 12.60

I put a 2 amp charge on it for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. 

I checked the charge 2 hours after charging yesterday and it was 12.8  (fully charged according to HD SM) At 30 degrees ambient temp.
where's the points and condenser ?
Tom / aka motor

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 10:54:15 AM »
OP, I'm sure you already did whatever you decided to do, but I'm with HOSS on this one.  No need to bring your battery in for those cute little low temps.  Your battery will be fine.

I'm sure it won't freeze.. Just don't like to see it dropping to a 50% charge every few days..Can't be good for the life of it.
Tom / aka motor

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »
Red positive clamp to the starter power lug (fold back the rubber cover). and black negative clamp to the fooyboard mounting screw (or any other good ground surface).  Easy peasy  :wink:

OK I'm looking at "battery tenders" on ebay and amazon.  Prices are all over the place and several different models.

Any advise on which one I should buy ??
Tom / aka motor

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 11:02:05 AM »
The Battery Tender "Junior" has worked well for me and others I know.
KD

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »
The Battery Tender "Junior" has worked well for me and others I know.

Sounds good,  I was just looking at that one on amazon.. $26.00 

Recommended for the HD application

Thanks for the help to all.

I'm going to order that one.
Tom / aka motor

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
I have the "junior" as well.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
I have the "junior" as well.

I was about to order but can't tell if it comes with the quick disconnect pigtail ? 

"Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V, 0.75A Battery Charger"

This is the model number I am looking at.
Tom / aka motor

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 11:17:56 AM »
It will come with 1 pigtail I'm sure. You may want to look at the Battery Tender Plus. If you ever have to charge up a battery that's down half way, the Jr is going to struggle to do it.  The Tender Plus is also sold through Drag, same device, just their name on it. Might want to check with CA Phil too.

Oh and make sure you DO NOT get the one they make for California.
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »
It will come with 1 pigtail I'm sure. You may want to look at the Battery Tender Plus. If you ever have to charge up a battery that's down half way, the Jr is going to struggle to do it.  The Tender Plus is also sold through Drag, same device, just their name on it. Might want to check with CA Phil too.

Oh and make sure you DO NOT get the one they make for California.

Thanks for that info.

I have a $25.00 credit with amazon is the biggest reason I was looking there.

I was looking at the plus as well..
Tom / aka motor

Offline rbabos

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »
The junior works fine for maintaining and I have two of them. Not good for charging with only .75 amps, which is understandable since you need  2 amps for that purpose.
Ron
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:44:16 AM by rbabos »

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
The junior works fine for maintaining and I have two of them. Not good for charging with only .75 amps, which is understandable since you need a bare minimum of 2 amps for that purpose.
Ron

I have found using a battery charger on a AGM with more than 2amps cooks them and seriously shortens there life. So does letting them sit discharged for to long.  Bob

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 11:34:19 AM »
The junior works fine for maintaining and I have two of them. Not good for charging with only .75 amps, which is understandable since you need a bare minimum of 2 amps for that purpose.
Ron

I have found using a battery charger on a AGM with more than 2amps cooks them and seriously shortens there life. So does letting them sit discharged for to long.  Bob

:agree:

I always use the 2 amp setting on my regular charger,

I just ordered the "tender plus"   1.5 amps

Tom / aka motor

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
Ron
[/quote
I'll bring it to a full charge with my regular charger and then put it on the tender after that.

Looks like we have another week or more of what I call non riding weather.. 
Tom / aka motor

Offline rbabos

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
The junior works fine for maintaining and I have two of them. Not good for charging with only .75 amps, which is understandable since you need 2 amps for that purpose.
Ron

That's correct. I changed my post so someone doesn't over do it.
Ron

Offline rbabos

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »
The junior works fine for maintaining and I have two of them. Not good for charging with only .75 amps, which is understandable since you need  2 amps for that purpose.
Ron
[/quote
I'll bring it to a full charge with my regular charger and then put it on the tender after that.

I wish I only had a week or two. Full blown winter here.
Ron

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
Ron
[/quote

I wish I only had a week or two. Full blown winter here.
Ron

It is now snowing here as I type this..
Tom / aka motor

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
I have 3 of the Juniors. There has been times one of the bikes ahs sat for weeks with the security ststem on and the battery was run down. The Junior came up to charge eventually with the .75 charge rate. It took a while but at least I didn't have to worry about forgetting it and cooking the battery. That's why I started using a tender, because I would forget the charger was on the bike and end up overcharging it.  :embarrassed:  It was cheaper to buy and use a tender. My experience is they do charge, but very slowly. That just reminded me that the Road Kink hasn't been run in a couple months (or more) so it's tender time.  :wink:
KD

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »
I have 3 of the Juniors. There has been times one of the bikes ahs sat for weeks with the security ststem on and the battery was run down. The Junior came up to charge eventually with the .75 charge rate. It took a while but at least I didn't have to worry about forgetting it and cooking the battery. That's why I started using a tender, because I would forget the charger was on the bike and end up overcharging it.  :embarrassed:  It was cheaper to buy and use a tender. My experience is they do charge, but very slowly. That just reminded me that the Road Kink hasn't been run in a couple months (or more) so it's tender time.  :wink:

LOL  YEP !  I set my iPhone timer so I don't forget to take the charger off.

I ordered the tender plus, I'll have it here Friday.

While weather this cold for this long is unusual here in SC the tender will be a good thing any way.  This duracell battery isn't what they yak it up to be.

If I took it back to bulbs and batteries I could probably argue them into a free replacement but hell .. Just more issues after a year more than likely with a replacement.

I'll see how the tender keeps this one up and when it acts up I'll step up, put it in the lawn tractor and buy something better.

I have to agree with many that have said these newer batteries are not as good as the early versions.   
Tom / aka motor

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 12:05:17 PM »
Got the tender 

Tom / aka motor

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2018, 12:27:19 PM »
That was fast!
You will like it.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
That was fast!
You will like it.
Amazon prime.. 2 day free shipping :)  I had a $25.00 credit so it cost me 23.00 bucks.. outa pocket.
Tom / aka motor

Offline Phu Cat

• Site Supporter
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
KD really has the hot tip to connect any battery charger to any HD if yer not usin a pig tail.  I did it his way for about 15 years until I grafted a pig tail on to my Batter Tender.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Offline Phu Cat

• Site Supporter
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2018, 12:10:42 PM »
I have found using a battery charger on a AGM with more than 2 amps cooks them and seriously shortens there  (their) life.

I find this hard to believe.  What if your battery was discharged the same amount when you started your bike and the voltage regulator hit the battery with 3 amps or more?  Would THAT ruin your battery?  Doubt it.

Also .75 amp is enough to charge a battery, it just takes longer than say 10 amps.  And if the battery is brand new, never been charged before, .75 amp is exactly what you want to charge it with in many cases.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »
KD really has the hot tip to connect any battery charger to any HD if yer not usin a pig tail.  I did it his way for about 15 years until I grafted a pig tail on to my Batter Tender.

PC

Yes that was a very good suggestion.

I have the tender hooked up now, been on about 24 hours.

Just using the clips for now.When the temps here finally get back to normal next week I'll put the pig tail on there and put the sat back on. 

We haven't seen 32 degrees here today and haven't been out of the 30's for 7 or 8 days now...

Seems to be working good. Green light is on solid.."Fully Charged" 

Tom / aka motor

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
I have found using a battery charger on a AGM with more than 2 amps cooks them and seriously shortens there  (their) life.

I find this hard to believe.  What if your battery was discharged the same amount when you started your bike and the voltage regulator hit the battery with 3 amps or more?  Would THAT ruin your battery?  Doubt it.

Also .75 amp is enough to charge a battery, it just takes longer than say 10 amps.  And if the battery is brand new, never been charged before, .75 amp is exactly what you want to charge it with in many cases.

PC

If you look at your SM there should be a chart to show how long to charge at different amps depending on level of charge.  I always used that chart at 2 amp.. The chart actually starts at 3 amps..

I'm sure if you left an older charger that doesn't float or stop charging when full on to long it would damage the battery.

I have always been real careful with my regular charger cuz it's a 1988 model (even made in the USA) I set a timer when ever using it.  Old fart brain forgets to easy..
Tom / aka motor