Author Topic: Has anyone successfully swapped oem water pump for aftermarket?  (Read 688 times)

Offline metaliser

I have a 2014 Limited with 36,000 miles on the clock and planning a big South Dakota trip in June and would like to take a spare with me or swap to something else if possible before the trip.
 If someone has I'd appreciate the info please, I'll get J&B Performance do the swap for me and Brandon is interested in this as well, thanks.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
Re: Has anyone successfully swapped oem water pump for aftermarket?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:18:52 AM »
No help on a aftermarket pump, but if it fails, keep on riding!
There has been enough discussion about this that the engine will be fine without the pump.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline metaliser

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:51:52 PM »
Appreciate the response but I really thought Bosch had a replacement, so much for thinking they did. Thanks anyways.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:23:48 PM »
There was some talk about the Rushmore water pumps earlier. Do a search and see what comes up.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline cmashark

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:37 AM »
There was a gent on CVOHarley that said he had 2 friends that had their pumps fail.  He said he just took them apart and cleaned them and put em back together and they worked.  Evidently people (at least his 2 friends) are being lazy and not flushing the system regularly, just like most cars.  Believe it or not, I took my wife’s car in for 3 year maintenance and asked for a cooling system flush.  The dude looked at me and said that the coolant was good for 5 years.  I really wanted to get ugly with the guy, but he is only going by the manufacturer recommendations and is probably only familiar with the key on the car.  Lol.  Oh, and Jeep thinks their Mopar oil is good for up 7500 miles. :slap:
2018 RGS- S&S 475C, Stealth A/C, MK45 mufflers, Jackpot Headpipe

Offline Clayton24

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
Was they talkin about cleanin the pump part or the electric motor part of the pump brushes etc ? Hard to imagine the coolant getting the pump that dirty in like 3yrs on a bike ! Just a thought

Offline rbabos

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
Was they talkin about cleanin the pump part or the electric motor part of the pump brushes etc ? Hard to imagine the coolant getting the pump that dirty in like 3yrs on a bike ! Just a thought
From what I've read the impeller is a magnetic drive coupling affair. Gelling in the pump can occur, which it really shouldn't in a clean system but this special HD induced gel is enough to stick the impeller to the point the mag drive won't spin it. Dumb design if you ask me. Good for fish tanks. Most common reason for gelling is mixing incompatible antifreezes or some other contamination during the cooling system install, like hose lubes or whatever.
Ron

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »
From what I've read the impeller is a magnetic drive coupling affair. Gelling in the pump can occur, which it really shouldn't in a clean system but this special HD induced gel is enough to stick the impeller to the point the mag drive won't spin it. Dumb design if you ask me. Good for fish tanks. Most common reason for gelling is mixing incompatible antifreezes or some other contamination during the cooling system install, like hose lubes or whatever.
Ron

This is exactly what happened to mine.... 2 years & ~20k miles. Never had anything but MOCO coolant in it, admit I never changed it. I never even had to top it off after the first 500 miles or so.

Some thoughts...

As you say the pump is a magnetically coupled affair, no direct drive of the impeller. I think this might actually be part of the system design. There is a point of restriction in the cooling system... on the 14-16 models it's probably the thermostat. As I understand it 17+ has no thermostat & the ECU controls turning the pump on & off.... in that case the restriction point is probably the coolant tubes going into the heads. I think the pump, when it's on, is designed to have the motor run full tilt & constantly "slip" on the magnetically driven impeller. The impeller spins as it can holding a constant pressure against the restriction point.... the restriction point controls the flow. On the 14-16 models when the thermostat is closed the impeller doesn't spin at all but the motor is still full RPM.

Or not  :hyst:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:32:42 PM »
Ron

If that is true, then it should be no problem putting a "squeeze bulb" somewhere near the feed side of the pump & when you think that it is crapped out, give the bulb a squeeze to "shake things loose"! :nix:
Damn... here we go for a fix for MoCo to copy! :wtf:

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 06:11:29 AM »
Hmm... as pointed out on another forum..... I forgot that the t-stat has two outlets, so the impeller never (should) stall  :doh:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Offline koko3052

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
Hmm... as pointed out on another forum..... I forgot that the t-stat has two outlets, so the impeller never (should) stall  :doh:

Unless it happens to "gel up" when engine is stopped. :scratch: