Author Topic: Intake gasket replacement  (Read 737 times)

Offline trex

Re: Intake gasket replacement
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 08:21:14 AM »
Haven't done the carb rebuild/manifold gasket replacement yet, waiting for a few days in a row off first. Is it ok to replace the manifold bolts with stainless steel if they aren't already? Seems I read years ago something about stainless fasteners not being good for some uses.

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
Stainless fasteners tend to gall when used in aluminum.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline trex

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 10:34:54 AM »
Thanks Hoss, I'll get non stainless then

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 11:24:29 AM »
I picked up new stock bolts, not too expensive.

Offline trex

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
I picked up new stock bolts, not too expensive.
                                                                               Harley only had 1 so I bought it, Ace and NAPA didn't have any allen head grade 8's so I hope the one's in there are good. My no. 48 and 50 slow jets and the yost tool came yesterday in the mail. I'll start today. Planning on putting in the 48 jet. Talked to guy at Flo Headworks and told him what I had and he suggested the 48, so glad I had ordered those.

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
What size motor and carb do you have? A 48 seems kind of fat, I'm running a 46 on a 95" with heads and a cv44.

Offline trex

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
What size motor and carb do you have? A 48 seems kind of fat, I'm running a 46 on a 95" with heads and a cv44.
                                                                                                 It's 95in. 03FXD. Joe Mondello did the heads, 10.5-1 comp. and Wood TW8G cams. The main jet is a .210 and it runs great up high. Around town it is a little rough, not bad but not perfect. I think it's lean and could be the fault of the manifold gaskets that's why I'm replacing those. I live at sea level on Maui too so that is a factor, thick air. Also I just want to see what I have in there. When I first got the bike new in 03 I was tentative about working on it and had a guy at a shop do some carb and pipes work. It ran a lot better and then a few years latter I did the 95in build. I put in the .210 jet at Maxheadflow's suggestion and it works great., but I don't know what the slow jet is and the tube and needle are yost I believe. I have the stock needl and tube and not sure If I should put those in or not.

Offline dogger

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
I replaced the allen head bolts with 12 point headed bolts. Makes it so incredibly easier to do the job when you have to do it again.

Offline trex

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 03:06:47 PM »
I finished the job and what a difference, but found out some surprises. When trying to get the first manifold bolt out it just wouldn't budge. looking inside though the gap between the manifold and heads was like a strong 1/16 on both sides and looked and felt good so I said the hell with it. Took the carb all apart and cleaned in a tub of simple green. I replaced the after market needle and emulsion tube with stock. Surprisingly the low speed jet was a 48 but some weird brand, no Kehin mark and the 48 was poorly stamped. I put in a new CV Perf. 48. All new rubber orings accelerator pump parts etc. Blew out all passages. I had a rubber cap on the vacuum outlet and it was in bad shape. I have a Pingle petcock so don't need the vacuum line. Whether it was the rubber plug allowing a leak or a passage plugged it runs good now. Did a second gear wheelie first time I really nailed it

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 03:10:24 PM »
I'll bet that plug was causing the issue.
Glad you got it going.

Offline trex

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
Thanks Hoss. Probably was that plug because the issue was relatively new, not like the jets had anything to do with it. Live and learn.